Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Cumings
United States
St James
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just trying the PnP game out with the provided rules, and I want to put forward my reading of how to play the effects of cards.

1. It seems like Action cards are optionally played in any order before forming the word, and take effect even if they are not used in the word. Is this right?

2. It seems as though Attack and Cleanup cards must be in the played word in order to take effect (i.e. they do nothing if they remain in the hand once the word is played). Is this right?

3. Say one player finishes his turn with one card left in his draw pile. The other plays an attack card mandating the first player pick up a penalty card unless there is one already in his discard pile. Is his discard pile all but one of his cards, or zero cards, since he'll have to shuffle his discard pile to make up his next hand of cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes, you can use the action effects in any order (and they are all optional), and because you can return cards to hand if you can't make them work in your word, you can effectively use actions with no intention of having them appear in your word.

2. Yes, attack and cleanup cards only take effect if part of a valid word (ie after any challenges have been resolved).

3. Zero cards - drawing a new hand of cards is the last thing you do on your turn, before the next player gets to spell a word and resolve attacks.

(The M card is the weakest of the attacks. It tends to hit fairly often in the beginning of the game because players often have empty discard piles, then become less reliable in the mid game. It often picks up again towards the end, as players either thin out the Penalties in the decks or start using cards like K or X that dump their decks into discard pile - thus ending the turn by shuffling a new draw deck)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aren't there 2-3 ways to answer this? ;
Quote:
3. Say one player finishes his turn with one card left in his draw pile. The other plays an attack card mandating the first player pick up a penalty card unless there is one already in his discard pile. Is his discard pile all but one of his cards, or zero cards, since he'll have to shuffle his discard pile to make up his next hand of cards?

since the player 'finished' his turn, he has drawn 6 cards. The question only mentions a card in his draw pile - so, IF he has a discard pile as well, he must prove it does not have a Penalty. But, if he has no discard pile (like, perhaps 7 cards total - 6 in hand and one in his draw pile (I think this 'might' be possible, just uncommon), he must take a penalty card. right?

I don't think there's supposed be any 'dexterity' plays whereby you need to hurry to draw your next hand to avoid someone quickly dropping an attack card!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Lucky Texan wrote:
aren't there 2-3 ways to answer this? ;
Quote:

since the player 'finished' his turn, he has drawn 6 cards. The question only mentions a card in his draw pile - so, IF he has a discard pile as well, he must prove it does not have a Penalty. But, if he has no discard pile (like, perhaps 7 cards total - 6 in hand and one in his draw pile (I think this 'might' be possible, just uncommon), he must take a penalty card. right?

I don't think there's supposed be any 'dexterity' plays whereby you need to hurry to draw your next hand to avoid someone quickly dropping an attack card!

You're quite right - I assumed that the question was using 'finished' to mean that the player had everything EXCEPT draw their new hand (ie not really finished). In that case, the player has no cards in discard pile on other players' turns.

If 'finished' meant the player had done everything including draw a new hand, then had six cards in hand and one in the draw deck, it's likely that they would also have a few cards in the discard pile - but not guaranteed (for instance if they'd been aggressively returning cards and had reduced their deck to seven cards)

And yes - no dexterity plays necessary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.