Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
RIK FONTANA
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now have 5 games under the belt: all with 4 players and all with casual gamers.
Two rules I can recommend:

1) Maximum two development cards in play at once. So you buy the first one, later you buy the second one, when you buy the third development, you must immediately give-up one of the three. So you're back down to two D-cards. Then when you buy the fourth one (the last one before you save the governor's daughter) again you must give up one of the three (your choice). So you are always at 2 development cards max. Our first game, all adult (but casual) gamers, they were having a hard time keeping track of 4 different special abilitys. This reduces some of the wear & tear on the brain for those not used to it!

2) Use a screen to keep the Doubloons behind. I started this on game #4 and will not go back. The final turn or two, with everyone seeing all player's currency, it really reduces the drama knowing Exactly how much each person had. You can predict what exactly will happen and worse, if a person makes a bad move, like moving his merchant so a (current) 2nd place player can attack and make 2 extra doubloons pushing him into 1st place (which is what happened) it leads to hard feelings. But with hidden totals you won't have 3rd and 4th place players helping to decide who wins.

Two to consider.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juzzo Hawkins
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two very interesting ideas! I really like the idea of the screen for the dubloons!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, although both seem to work against each other...

You are removing cards to help those who can't keep track of all the powers, but hiding doubloons gives an advantage to those with a better memory for numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan White
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting ideas. I like the idea of hiding currency but I wonder if having more than two development cards in play helps to speed up the game. Have you found the game slows down when only using two cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Earl Grey
msg tools
mbmbmb
Very good, will try both.

Have you tried it more times since then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.