CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb

Hey Aldie and Co. Thanks for throwing another great BGG.CON this year. I had a great time, met some great people, and played some great games!

Hope to see you all again next year! meeplemeeplemeeplemeeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Munnerlyn
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my first one, sadly I only got to attend Saturday but had a great time. I can't wait till next year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gravitt
United States
Northglenn
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Agreed! This was great fun!

Why is it we don't do this in the Spring too?

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, thank you very much. A lot of hard work and planning obviously went in to that. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, BGG.CON was fabulous! There were SO many amazing games and SO many wonderful people that I can't imagine a better con. On the flight home my boyfriend Jeff and I were talking about the con and realized that we spent three and a half days playing games (some quite intense) and did not come across one player with whom we wouldn't gladly game again. I've been to a lot of open gaming events, and usually by the end of the first day I have a mental list of jerks to avoid -- totally not an issue here!

Thanks so much to everybody who worked hard to make sure we all had fun: Aldie, Aldie's wife Michelle, Randy Shipp, all the library and check-in staff, Derk (who actually flattened his game boxes in order to bring us more games), Rick Thornquist (who spent MUCH time explaining games to all who asked), Sterling Babcock (who organized airport transportation and long games), Valerie Putnam and Scott Tepper (who ran a whole series of Notre Dame demos), everybody who put games into the library, and ... probably dozens of others that I can't remember.

I'm totally planning on going again next year! I'll have to get one of those countdown clocks.

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot the best part of the con -- getting to meet so many people whom I had only met online. I'm not even going to try to list them all, because I'm sure I'd forget half.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hobbs
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the con was great again this year.
All of my thanks to everyone involved with the con.

BGG.con is a great con experience. The people are all friendly and just as eager as I am to get into a good game.

So when can we start signing up for next year?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son & I had a great time at our first BGG con. I'm still trying to decide if the best part was Derk dropping his pants & mooning us during Time's Up.gulp

hmmmm It was the funniest, but not the best part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Next year?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is as good as they say.

Great people, great games. The best part is that most of us have already talked to each other online, or at least read each other online rants, so making a connection with them is much easier than anywhere else.

The only minuses are caused by the dark and twisted convention hotel world: No free internet, weak food selections, and not even a vending machine on site. Unfortunately, those tend to be the standard in big downtown hotels.

For those of you who are undecided about how fun it could be, or those of you that hate travel and refuse to buy games without reading instructions: This one IS worth it, so come next year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: the internet charges, we mentioned this when we were checking out (since they asked us whether everything had been to our liking kiss ), and the guy at the checkout said that free wireless was in the works for 2007. So maybe next year?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hobbs
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
My son & I had a great time at our first BGG con. I'm still trying to decide if the best part was Derk dropping his pants & mooning us during Time's Up.gulp

hmmmm It was the funniest, but not the best part.

hehe,
Yes, I was at the next table over playing All For One when this happened. I start therapy tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
caesarmom wrote:
Re: the internet charges, we mentioned this when we were checking out (since they asked us whether everything had been to our liking kiss ), and the guy at the checkout said that free wireless was in the works for 2007. So maybe next year?

Aldie had mentioned in passing something on Sunday about a likely change in the venue for the event next year.

The floor we were on was near capacity, and it was a little bit of trouble to find a table to play the games on at certain peak gaming times.

However, none of that detracted from my pleasure of the event, and my overall satisfaction for having gone.

The best part of the Con was meeting all of you guys. Even though it was the first time we've seen each other, it almost felt like old friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
As expected, I had an awesome time as well! I thought they definitely improved upon the inaugural effort which was a tough thing to do considering how great a time I had last year.

Already looking forward to the next one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
BTW, Aldie and I were extremely displeased with the hotel this year. Y'all can expect a change in venue, which means facility-related problems should be addressed, like internet hookups. Mind you, this doesn't mean I don't wanna hear any complaints you have about the facilities, but rather that things will be a bit different next year...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
derk wrote:
BTW, Aldie and I were extremely displeased with the hotel this year. Y'all can expect a change in venue, which means facility-related problems should be addressed, like internet hookups. Mind you, this doesn't mean I don't wanna hear any complaints you have about the facilities, but rather that things will be a bit different next year...

This must have happened behind the scenes. What were they lacking in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Bailey
United States
North Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not easy to respond to people's casual, "How was your weekend" question in the usual one-to-three word "It was good" or "OK" that they are expecting.

I can't say that, because my weekend cannot be summed up in three words. I met hundreds of awesome people, played dozens of games, and had an unconditionally wonderful time. Add in winning a Crokinole board on top of all of that, and I just can't let this weekend get off with a simple "It was great". I have to tell people about it.

It was my first con ever, of any kind. As far as I can tell, it set the 'con' bar pretty high.

Here's something else - people could leave hundreds of dollars worth of games sitting around and not have to worry about things getting stolen. At least, that's the way it seemed to me. Maybe things happened, but there's a surprising amount of confidence with our fellow geeks.

To wrap it up - thanks, BGG. Your staff and community you have created are amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Namaksy
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All I can say is that I had a most excellent time and other than the occasional lack of table space to play it was a well executed event and I am looking forward to the next.

A BIG THANKS to BGG and all the people in front and behind the scenes who helped made it happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and it was awesome. I had a blast. Not a single bad experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Guldal
United States
Brooklyn
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An awesome event, once again!!! I had a blast. For those of you who have friends/family/etc who are not hardcore gamers, this is the con to convince them to go with you! My friend, Zuli, came again this year, and although the last time she ever played any games was the last BGG.Con she had a blast learning and playing new games, meeting new people, etc. I highly recommend this BGG.Con for new gamers and light gamers because everyone I got to play with and interact were very nice, willing to teach, willing to learn, and willing to make every game fun for everyone!

Thanks to Aldie and Derk and all the other admins and vendors and demo people! Thanks for the lovely Essen games (Derk and others), personal loans to the game library (Valerie!), sharing your personal copies (Scott shared his copy of Space Dealer and Traders of Carthage with us, and Chad his copy of Canal Mania). Thanks for teaching me how to play many new games.

I think the two things I would have to complain about would be the hotel situation (the lack of food/drinks, etc) and the puzzle hunt. After talking to Derk about the hotel stuff, I feel that most of the hotel issues will be resolved next year. I will reiterate that we liked Adam's Mark much better than the Westin. A restaurant serving food until 11pm and a nice bar (hopping on thursdays) helps... BUT, again, the price cut on the rooms was AMAZING!!! And the puzzle hunt had some good puzzles but needs to 1)have a clear plan of how long everything will take so people won't get upset about having committed to something that takes a lot longer than they had imagined and 2)fewer puzzles with about the same difficulty level. Chester (Cornjob) had a great suggestion: That there be time limits for each level of the hunt. Teams that have not made it to the next level (a new package) by a certain amount of time are just given the next package. This way everyone can move along. Those who get there on their own within the given time can be given more points or something to determine a clear winner in the end. I like this because it keeps everyone in the game. I am sure there will be much more discussion of these two subjects alone.

I saw more wargames being played this year, which was nice. maybe I'll try to get people to teach me how to play those next year.

So when is the resgistration for the next one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we do it again next month?

I had a great time. Met Geeks. Played games. Ate McDonald's....ehg. Got eaten by werewolves and WON. Bought some Zoch games. Got eaten by zombies and LOST. Solved puzzles.

Highlights for me...in addition to the many (too many to try and mention) new Geekbuds and old Geekbuds I got to hang out with:

Atlantic Storm. Played a 6p game of this gem. I'll be signing up for the retooling on GMT's P500 list now (Pacific Typhoon). What a pleasant surprise!

Nacht der Magiea. This was cool...and I didn't even play it in the dark!

Having dozens of people tell me I look exactly like my avatar. Except Derk, who thought I'd be taller. I didn't mention it, but I expected Derk to be fatter. I mean, fat. Err...less sveldt.

Anyway, I had a wonderful time. My stay at the Adams Mark was pleasant (though internet was $10/day...so I passed). Also, some folks staying Sunday changed hotels because the Weston wasn't giving the discount rate. For the record, Adams Mark DID give us the discount with no issue whatsoever. The complimentary personal masseuse was a nice touch, as was the sous-chef. I was troubled when he started trying to climb to the top of the hotel from the outside, but the ham was delicious.

I will DEFINITLEY UNLESS I'VE DIED attend next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like fun (again)!

When will the decision for minimum age for next year's be made?
(I only need it down to ten for next year for three to five more attendees.)

And, to forestall potential counters, I am not looking for babysitting or kid's events, he'd be participating as a gamer, not as a kid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
I also had a great time - thanks Aldie, Derk, & Vickie!

cornjob wrote:
... My stay at the Adams Mark was pleasant (though internet was $10/day...so I passed)...

Hmmm. I was also at the Adam's Mark. I had no trouble finding wireless connections and used it all weekend. It wasn't until Saturday that I saw the direct ethernet hookup in the room for $9.95/day. I never saw any kind of wireless charge on the room's bill, so I guess wireless was free, while ethernet had the daily charge.

- Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my first con, of any type really and while i tried to go in with an open mind, i def had some reservations. We arrived thursday afternoon and after some lunch we eased into the CON with some demo's, a game of bang which I got knocked out by a 13yo fellow outlaw and his volcanic and eventually i found myself in a game of space-dealer.

Soon after i threw away my flyer for the rodeo and was really enjoying myself. I really tried to make the most of the event and played a ton of games, met a lot of good people and got very very little sleep.

Like the other posters before me, i would also like to thank everyone who was involved with putting the convention together, especially all of the very helpful and friendly staffers. thanks, u gals/guys made it really easy for everyone to have a great time.

One of the other things i would like to say is how impressed i was with how many gamers were willing to volunteer their precious time to teach games to others...in many cases where they weren't even in the game. It was ahem...very touching...ahem. Especially Rick Thornquist, who i think spent about 90% of his time simply instructing and helping other gamers, truly class act.

Some of my Highlights:

- Getting to time to chat with other gamers who share my passion for games

- Teaching about 3 games and being taught about 25+, thanks guys, it was honestly like being on vacation since i all i had to do was play a game and not worry that i screwed up a rule or player wasn't enjoying the game, etc etc., Big props to the Paul who walked us through the underground at 1:00am and hung around while we took our first turns...amazing.

- Mischa/rossum: what a great a player, he totally helped make the event IMO. He’s the kind of guy who can turn a simple game into a ton of fun by being into the theme and not afraid to show his passion for a game. Awesome time playng ca$h & guns and JUNGLE SPEED!

- Woot! Got to finally play Shogun. I believe someone actually brought the game and put it in the library…as I didn’t see it the first two days. Who ever that was…thanks! This game did not disappoint, and is at the top of list of must buys. Also, thanks to Rick(not Thornquist in this case), for teaching, even though he was starved and on his way 2 lunch. Woot!

- Game chatter at the irish pub while drinking Belgian brews

- Being able to select from over 1200 games to play.(PERIOD)

- Biting my tongue when asked about elections from some Texans, only to find out they were liberals… J

- Seeing geeks outside the con, carrying around stacks of games amongst high society types who were attending black tie affair.

- Finally, making some new friends. Hopefully I can remember all the great gamers I had met and can start the adding of buddies.

Hey if we met at the con, and I haven’t added u as a buddy yet, please add me!

Hope to see everyone again next year.

- James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally i thought the Adams Mark was really nice. Our room was a good size, and the view from the 26th floor was pretty cool at night.

They did add some unknown charge to my bill, and i too couldnt get on the wifi, so had to pay for the internet access.

However, upon checkout, i disputed the unknown charge and the internet access, and both were waved without hassle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where's everybody posting their pictures?

Here's mine:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28355283@N00/sets/7215759437709...

Thanks for a great time everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.