Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Wai-kit FUNG
Hong Kong
Mongkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I use trade module (to buy resource from opponent) immediately at the turn i purchase it?

I seems unable to locate the rules telling this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules don't say so explicitly, but they don't deny it either. May rules say (translated from german by me) for the trade modules: '[...]From now on he [the player] may use the advantage of the module'.

So yes, you may use it the turn you purchase it, since the module doesn't say something like 'at the start ...' but 'once during your turn'.

SG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Johnson
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tonyfung1205 wrote:
Can I use trade module (to buy resource from opponent) immediately at the turn i purchase it?

I seems unable to locate the rules telling this.

Have you looked at the included Prof. Easy walkthrough for the first couple turns? I think you will find the Sun player getting a Trade Module and promptly using it on the opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Wai-kit FUNG
Hong Kong
Mongkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing out the example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But only during the trade/build phase, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
But only during the trade/build phase, right?

The only timing the module gives is "on your turn"...thus I don't see a reason to restrict it to a certain phase. I have used the trade module mid-flight to get a resource that I wanted to sell at a far better price, or to give to one of the adventure planets.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Ouellet
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Actually, the rules states that trading with the other player can only happen in the trade/bulid phase. Using the trade module is a "forced trading", so I think it should only be used in this phase.

It might be too powerful in the scenario where a special mission requires to brings one food and you encounter that planet without this required food...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
filcius wrote:
Using the trade module is a "forced trading"

Does it say that, or are you interpreting it to say that? There's a big difference. You'll note that the rules say "buy"...not "trade".

Quote:

It might be too powerful in the scenario where a special mission requires to brings one food and you encounter that planet without this required food...

Never found that to be the case.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Ouellet
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You are right, it says that it is a "forced selling". But my interpretation states that selling is trading money for resources

I still think it is powerful in the case where you encounter a planet where you could sell ressource X at 5 and buy it immediatly at 2 from your opponnent. Of course, it cost you one action, but you may have plenty and only a few destination left in your flight path.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also agree that allowing the Trade Module to be used at any time is far too powerful. And, yes the English rules may say it is used to "buy", not "trade", and I don't have the German rules to reference, but I daresay there is a reason it's called a "Trade Module". Furthermore, you are only allowed to "buy" or "sell" from your owned Trade Planets during the Trade & Build Phase.

Finally, it just doesn't make sense in my mind: the opponent's ship is not traveling along with you while you explore. (Admittedly, we are talking about space exploration via shuffled stacks of cards, but I need some logical framework to make a game work.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I still think it is powerful in the case where you encounter a planet where you could sell ressource X at 5 and buy it immediatly at 2 from your opponnent. Of course, it cost you one action, but you may have plenty and only a few destination left in your flight path.

Not at all - I'd argue this is one of the weakest uses of the trade module.

Quote:
but I daresay there is a reason it's called a "Trade Module". Furthermore, you are only allowed to "buy" or "sell" from your owned Trade Planets during the Trade & Build Phase.

I daresay that such a reason should be spelled out in the rules if it, in fact, exists. It would require no more than a half dozen words be added to the description of the trade module. Instead, it says "on your turn". I think that word choice is telling.

GaryP wrote:

Finally, it just doesn't make sense in my mind: the opponent's ship is not traveling along with you while you explore. (Admittedly, we are talking about space exploration via shuffled stacks of cards, but I need some logical framework to make a game work.)

And what logical framework are you using currently to justify the fact that building a section of my ship makes you unable to decline my offer of a paltry 2 coins for the resource you may desperately need to hold on to?

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Quote:
but I daresay there is a reason it's called a "Trade Module". Furthermore, you are only allowed to "buy" or "sell" from your owned Trade Planets during the Trade & Build Phase.

I daresay that such a reason should be spelled out in the rules if it, in fact, exists. It would require no more than a half dozen words be added to the description of the trade module. Instead, it says "on your turn". I think that word choice is telling.

I don't have my Mayfair rulebook here, only William and Guido's translation as posted here. That lacks the "on your turn" phrase in the description of the Trade Module. However, use of the Trade Module is covered in the subsection "Trading" of the section "The Trading and Building Phase". I'm tired of playing rules lawyer, but I've at least convinced myself. If someone wants to ask Guido or quote the German rules, go for it.
Quote:
Quote:

And what logical framework are you using currently to justify the fact that building a section of my ship makes you unable to decline my offer of a paltry 2 coins for the resource you may desperately need to hold on to?

Oops. I re-wrote that second sentence and then failed to re-read what I wrote and notice that I had almost entirely removed the point I was trying to make. My point was that it is indeed absurd to ascribe logic here. However, I personally need a "logical" framework (in terms of the theme) that lets me internalize the rules. For this game, each player independently explores each quadrant (stack) so there is no opportunity to trade mid-flight. It wasn't meant as an objective argument, only why it tweaks my brain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughn Sandor
United States
Monroe Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The BBC series is far better than the excellent NBC one. Now go watch it.
badge
This is not me but I have been known to dance like David Brent on occasion.
mbmbmbmbmb
Was there ever an official ruling on this?

Can you trade/buy with the trade module at any time during your turn from your oppponent
or does it have to be done during your trading/building phase?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Adler
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has to be done in your trading/building phase!

Source: FAQ at the official Website for the world of Catan.

http://www.catan.de/faq-page/23

German:
"Handelszentrum - Kann das Handelszentrum jederzeit während des eigenen Zuges, also auch in der Flugphase, eingesetzt werden oder nur in der Bau- und Handelsphase?

Der “Zwangshandel” über das Handelszentrum ist nur in der Handels- und Bauphase erlaubt."

My Translation:
Trade Center - Can the trade center at every time during the own turn, therefore in the flight phase, too, be used or only in the trading/building phase?

The "Forced Trade" due to the trade center is only in the trading/building phase allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Wai-kit FUNG
Hong Kong
Mongkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Matthias, your information is useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.