Subject: worth getting for solo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
steven shaw
United Kingdom
ashton under lyne
lancashire
flag msg tools
I love the theme and idea of this game but convincing my friends and family that there is a world that exists beyond PlayStation or scrabble is an immense task and not one that I'm sure my meagre charisma can pull off...

So, if indeed I'm doomed to failure will this game be worth the price tag?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Tremblay
Canada
Gloucester
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Not really for solo, but worth finding new friends/gaming group for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is definitely not worth getting for solo play. Too much of what makes this game grest relies on additional players. Even the two player variant is a stretch if its your main method of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
badalchemist
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are better solo games out there, but I'm sure you could play hardmode plus no secret objectives or crossroad cards and still enjoy yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is a solid cooperative game on its own, but the Crossroads cards would not work in a solo game, and they are the source of the emergent story, which is one of the highlights of the game.

Mechanically, it would still be a solid thematic-style coop game that's a bit less dominated by randomness than something like Eldritch Horror, so I think it could still be enjoyable as a solo game. It would not, however, feel anything like the multi-player game.

I'll also go ahead and disagree with the other poster who said it's no good as a two player game. Using the designer's excellent Prisoner's Dilemma variant (not included in the rules but easy to find on BGG), the game is outstanding with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Cooper
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brucetea wrote:
I love the theme and idea of this game but convincing my friends and family that there is a world that exists beyond PlayStation or scrabble is an immense task and not one that I'm sure my meagre charisma can pull off...

So, if indeed I'm doomed to failure will this game be worth the price tag?
If you must play solo, this game is not for you, but if there's any game that can show your friends and family what analog gaming has to offer, this is it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eviljelloman wrote:
I'll also go ahead and disagree with the other poster who said it's no good as a two player game. Using the designer's excellent Prisoner's Dilemma variant (not included in the rules but easy to find on BGG), the game is outstanding with two.

To be clear I'm definitely not saying the game is no good as a two player game especially when you add in the Prisoner's Dilemma variant. In fact I believe the game is quite good using that variant. However, the idea of purchasing it knowing it would be used primarily as a two player game is a very hard sell for me with such a multitude of fantastic games actually designed for two players out there. The mechanisms of this game are clearly designed with 3+ players in mind but we are fortunate to have a fantastic variant available to us should we not be able to get a third person involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Best with 4, Recommended with 3, 5, Not Recommended with 1, 2.

...is what the poll on the game's main page says. I tend to agree with BGG Hivemind on most games and definitely do here (though Prisoners Dilemma makes it good at 2).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven shaw
United Kingdom
ashton under lyne
lancashire
flag msg tools
Thanks for the opinions everyone, I trust in thee... Shame cos the game looked great but looks like I'll be going for Robinson Crusoe instead!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agree DoW is not really designed for solo and there are better games out there which were.

If you're looking for ideas:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gonecase gonecase
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
I agree DoW is not really designed for solo and there are better games out there which were.

Think the video link should be this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtzVD-HzWD0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dave Chua wrote:
Orion3T wrote:

Think the video link should be this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtzVD-HzWD0

Oops, I didn't realise it only needs the video code not whole link. Have fixed it. Yes that was the video I meant, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unsolvable Riddle
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I agree that it's not good solo. I've only watched Ricky's play through and I'll most certainly play it in a group (the paranoia/theme is what makes this attractive for me) but the coop mode looks enjoyable solo. Just plan out what you do and then reveal the crossroads card (+maybe roll a dice for the options).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the co-op mode still have the potential for a betrayer? If not then seems like it should work out for solo? Just not as tense as in standard mode with possible betrayers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
It works, sort of, but it isn't worth it for that alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Does the co-op mode still have the potential for a betrayer? If not then seems like it should work out for solo? Just not as tense as in standard mode with possible betrayers?

Actually, when they say co-op mode they mean there is no potential for a betrayer. Basically, they wanted to give players the option of playing fully cooperative for those people that don't like the betrayer aspect, or for people that want to learn the game without the betrayer aspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.