Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Goodman
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone else had these problems with this game.

1. Introducing this game to people can be a real pain because there are so many little rules which can really alter things.

2. This game can go way over the 45 minute game time that the game claims to play in. I find that a general game with 3 or 4 people takes about an hour and a half if you are playing with the wrong people. 2 player games though do usually only take about 20-30 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnalyticGamer wrote:
... takes about an hour and a half if you are playing with the wrong people...

ALL games will take longer than expected when you are playing with the wrong people. I've played with up to 5 and still ended in an hour.

Which "little rules" are you referring to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goodman
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of little rules in this game. When I say little, I mean how they apply to certain circumstances. Like how when you destroy a room and a hero is in it, they immediately move to the next room. Or how despite that Liger's Den says to draw a spell when you play one, it does not say how if the spell is cancelled that you actually cannot draw one. The one which really throws people is the ordering of who has initiative when it comes to spells, who can react. With the people I have played the game with, it has been a real struggle to teach them the game because there are so many of these rules. It leads players to question the rules on cards. You always get the same questions from new players, like "when can I destroy a room?" or "when can I play a spell?" and there is always a certain amount of misunderstanding of these rules the first few games.

As for the timing, I think you are right, I think it has to do with who I have been playing with. I have played a 3 person game that only lasted 45 minutes and I loved it. But for some reason all the people I normally play with take so long to decide what to build and whether or not they want to play a certain spell at a certain time that the games go upwards of an hour and a half to 2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goodman
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my problem is that I have been trying to introduce it to non-gamers. Not that I am much of one myself, but I can pick up rules pretty quickly and when I play a game I like, I want to play it again and I also feel that there should be a certain amount of speed in the decision making process.

I think I was just talking about how sometimes when I play with people despite that they may have seen a rule a couple times, a couple plays later they may ask about it with this game because they forgot it. I think what I am getting at is that it is a lot to remember for a newcomer to the game.

That being said when you get players playing this game who know the rules and play at a fair pace, I love this game. It is just a rare occasion for me. It is just that this last weekend I had a game night with some people and I said I would only play Boss Monster with experienced players who have played it a few times and I got some strange looks from people. I have spent a lot of time introducing the game to new players and I am just at the point where I would like to play shorter better games of it rather than the extended games I have been playing.

It actually even got to the point where in a recent game we implemented a timer on this game because we were short on time and it made me sick (figuratively) to think that we actually had to implement a timer to get the game to only last an hour. I hate using timers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.