Subject: Games like Backgammon? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
Any suggestions for easy to teach/learn games for someone who likes (loves) and has been playing Backgammon for the last 40 years?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Radcliffe
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a backgammon player myself I'd recommend trying Alhambra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Looney Pyramids game Blockade is to me the most backgammony of its genre (certainly moreso than Martian Backgammon).

You could go for backgammon's ancestor Senet or its elder cousin Pachisi, but I think standard backgammon is far more interesting to play than Senet, and the only virtue of Pachisi is to include more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mancala
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SuperGLS wrote:
Any suggestions for easy to teach/learn games for someone who likes (loves) and has been playing Backgammon for the last 40 years?

Assuming that you are looking for something with only a small jump in theme and complexity, as well as something more modern, I would recommend:\

Hive

Battle Sheep (easier of the two games to learn)

Both take out the dice and focus on strategic movements. Battle Sheep is probably most similar to Backgammon--all the pieces have the same value, and they are used to control spaces on a board. Hive is a little more complex as each piece has a different way of moving, and the objective--isolating the queen--is a little more like chess.

Other possibilities:
Tsuro
Tsuro of the Seas
Indigo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul McKenzie
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuchulcha is just a themed version of backgammon with more players and variable player powers. Tom Vasel hated it but as a backgammon enthusiast I really like it. It scratches the same itch. Just don't let the goofy terminology confuse you.

Cartagena is a good one that has a little of the feel of backgammon.

Good luck! Let us know what you try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperGLS wrote:

The backgammon-esque games that come to my mind as a strong backgammon player myself are these:

Counterstrike

and No Dice

Counterstrike has dice and a doubling cube, hitting blots, the whole bit, just in a different framework and a different field of play, while No Dice has no dice, though it feels like chance is part of it, and still has the whole idea of trying to move forces past one another and off the board.

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan McNamara
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cartagena seems a good suggestion, racing your men to the finish and trying to position them strategically.

I also suggest that all of their friends just start playing backgammon more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Parchessi. It's got a lot of the same concepts, just layed out in a different sequence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie C
msg tools
SnapGammon for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
Thanks all.

I just modified our weekly chess program at work (public library) to include boardgames and on Friday a customer asked if anyone ever played Backgammon. I told him we had a set if he wanted to play. Later when I had the time I told him I'd be more than happy to play if he wanted, though I hadn't played in many years. He quickly explained he had been avidly playing Backgammon for 40+ years. Taught me the rules quickly and some strategy as we were playing. He was quite enthusiastic about it and mentioned weekly events he goes to in the area.

I was thinking their might be something I could throw at him that would be familiar.

I must say I'm intrigued by Blockade, Counterstrike and No Dice. Especially as all 3 are new to me. Battle Sheep, SnapGammon, Cartagena and Alhambra are ones I'd consider as well. I stumbled upon Chase in a different thread today and that looks interesting too.

Of course I'd be happy to play Backgammon with him as well (as I'm happy to play most games.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia Milne
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who has enjoyed backgammon for far too many decades can I suggest that you look at StreetSoccer.

You can check out StreetSoccer on the turn based server littlegolem to see the game play. StreetSoccer has quite a depth of play.

You move five soccer meeples on a squared soccer field. You cast a die and choose which meeple to move. He moves the number of squares shown on a dice as a king moves in chess. If he kicks the ball, it moves in a straight line with up to one 45 degree elbow. If the ball is passed to another meeple he can pass it on.

You have a set number of turns unless there is a tie, in which case the game continues until someone wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul McKenzie
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot to mention Abagio, which a few backgammon fans I know have recommended as having some of the same vibe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
Thanks David and Paul.

I love how on the back of the Abagio box it says the average playing time is 38 minutes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.