Razor Edge
Canada
Terrebonne
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I love and own Hanabi but I'm not sure if I'll get the Deluxe edition also

Video

Will you get it or not? Do you think it's worth its 34.99$ price tag?

The more I think about it, the more I'm tempted to buy it!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't be getting it because I don't play it all the time. But if you do, you might want to. Just be careful with the tile's back side, you don't want to mar them too much.

And maybe you will get more responses in the Hanabi forum. People posted their feedback and the pros and cons of the deluxe version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
I might get the deluxe edition, but that's only because I don't own the basic edition already. I've heard good things about the game. If I decide I want it and there's a super-fancypants edition available ($34 doesn't sound too unreasonable) then why not, right?

If I did already own the basic edition, I wouldn't even consider the deluxe. That goes for any game, really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cheipaz geimur
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd probably get it if I didn't already have the regular version although its still sealed

I do want something to prop up the cards so people don't have to hold them up the entire time though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. For one thing, they're not bakelite tiles and Ryan even pointed out how easily they get scuffed. So not really great quality.
And for another thing, they're far less portable so less useful to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn
United States
Southgate
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. I personally like the portability and small foot print of the card version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I already own it. Only way to play it IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
young281 wrote:
I do want something to prop up the cards so people don't have to hold them up the entire time though

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000G8S43G/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?qid...

Ordered these and they are really awesome. Holds the oversized cards too

Great for other games where you hold a lot of cards (I'm looking @ you Ticket to Ride)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
Rating 7.38
Weight 1.7
No thanks, sounds terrible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
RenaissanceMom wrote:
For one thing, they're not bakelite tiles...

Not much has been manufactured from Bakelite for 50 years now. The Hanabi tiles, much like Hive, Lexio etc are most likely made from polypropylene.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Purdon

Twinsburg
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought it, and aside from the initial smell it's definitely a winner. Much nicer to play with than the card version imho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bradelli wrote:
Rating 7.38
Weight 1.7
No thanks, sounds terrible.

No Thanks! is actually a great filler. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to put it on my birthday and Christmas wish lists, but am not going to buy it for myself. I'm perfectly happy with the card version, so the tiles would just be a "nice to have."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
RenaissanceMom wrote:
For one thing, they're not bakelite tiles...

Not much has been manufactured from Bakelite for 50 years now. The Hanabi tiles, much like Hive, Lexio etc are most likely made from polypropylene.
So Hive aren't bakelite? Fine, whatever form of plastic Hive is, it's exceptionally hardwearing and doesn't get scuffed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love the idea behind it, i think use of "Mahjong-like" tiles for Hanabi is a brilliant idea, as it would enhance the playing experience more than any other card-game. However, the poor quality ruins it for me. While, I could get over the smell if it fades over time, but scuffed tiles (especially tile backs) is a deal-breaker. Its a hidden information game, even scuffing a few tile backs would ruin the game.

I guess its to be expected though, as the original game wasn't all that high quality either, i remember when I first opened the original game, I thought the card stock they used was rather thin.

IMO, if they're going to re-release the same game as a "Deluxe" edition, they should pay alot of attention to the quality of components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. I know I won't be popular in saying this, but I loathe and detest this game. I've kept playing it, waiting for that eureka moment when I will understand why so many people think it's the bees knees, but that just hasn't happened. Sorry everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.