Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Hot Deals

Subject: Bohnanza from retail shop for $3.73 US rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: cards [+] sales [+] purchases [+] [View All]
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Just landed Bohnanza from the transient Christmas gifts store in Marley Station Mall in Glen Burnie, MD for a mere $3.73. It had a 50% off sticker on it and was sitting on a half-price shelf, and apparently both applied. Also landed San Juan for $12.47 which is quite good, but not the deal that Bohnanza was.

Both were in my "looks interesting, but don't spend" category. But hard to pass up considering the price. Now I have to find a place to hide them!

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Wow, good scores on both games! They're also good family games, though San Juan might be easier to grok than Bohnanza.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teacher Fletcher
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just heard of "Glen Burnie, MD" for the first time yesterday. It's the home of the company called John H. Harland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
...though San Juan might be easier to grok than Bohnanza.

Really? I guess it depends on what you consider full 'grokage', but I'd say Bohnanza is a much easier game to describe.

Sag, both of those games are a lot of fun. Very different games. I'd say Bohnanza is good for card-playing, non-gamer friends, and SJ is a good game for the more 'serious' player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
davebo wrote:
Sag, both of those games are a lot of fun. Very different games. I'd say Bohnanza is good for card-playing, non-gamer friends, and SJ is a good game for the more 'serious' player.

This was my thoughts too, although my only experience with either is playing Puerto Rico.

Generally I try to buy games that I can play with my kids, or at least with my oldest (9). I think both of these are out of reach for the moment, but given the price I couldn't resist.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sag,

You want to also post this under Game Groups » United States » Northeast

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Sag,

You want to also post this under Game Groups » United States » Northeast

Done.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if this store is part of the same chain? I also found a "Christmas store" in San Marcos, TX that also had huge game discounts. That store was owned by the San Francisco Music Box Co.

You can see the deals I found.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/103505

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
Generally I try to buy games that I can play with my kids, or at least with my oldest (9).

I played both with my son when he was 9. He's a bit advanced as a gamer, but not much. I'd say your 9yo could definitely play Bohnanza if he was the only kid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Mittelstedt
United States
Hampstead
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I followed up on your lead today on my lunch break. There was nothing worth taking... cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
davebo wrote:
Verkisto wrote:
...though San Juan might be easier to grok than Bohnanza.

Really? I guess it depends on what you consider full 'grokage', but I'd say Bohnanza is a much easier game to describe.

To describe? Yes. But it seems that people have a hard time grasping the concept of not re-ordering your hand, and the whole "Cannot harvest 1-bean fields" rule.

I don't know. Maybe it's just the personalities of the people I encounter when I teach these games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.