Peter Gray
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Files:https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-R4ltmn91a2cExjc2lu...

Chocolate Factory (working title) is intended to be a simple game encouraging younger children to do simple mental arithmetic. I have not come across a game the same as this, although the mechanics are hardly original. If I am duplicating an existing game PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

The game uses a deck of cards of low positive and negative numbers, and a dice with higher numbers on it.

The "suites" of the cards are different types of sweets.

Four base cards representing sweet bags being filled in the chocolate factory are placed in the middle of the table.
The "last turns" card is removed.
The play cards are shuffled, one card per player is dealt into a pile on the table and the "last turns" card placed on top of this. The remaining cards are then placed on top of the pile.
3 cards are dealt from the top of the pile to each player with the remainder placed face down at the side of the play area to form a draw deck.

The target dice is rolled and this gives a target figure that all the players are aiming to achieve in one of the piles in the center of the table.

Each of the four bags has different filling conditions -
Bag 1 can only contain any 1 kind of sweet
Bag 2 can contain any 2 types of sweet
Bag 3 can contain any 3 types of sweet
and Bag 4 can contain any 4 kinds (basically any kind)

Players take it in turn to draw the top card from the draw pile and then have to play a card from their hand into 1 of the bag piles, observing the rules about variety of sweets in a bag.

The objective is to fill a bag with sweets of the appropriate kinds to the value given on the dice.

If the pile the player plays into totals less than the target, after their addition it remains in play.

If it exceeds the target it is removed from play and placed on a discard pile.

If it matches the target it is removed and kept by the player who's turn it is.

Some cards have a dice symbol on them. If one of these is played then the target dice is immediately rolled, before any piles are removed. The new target number for all piles comes into effect immediately.

Piles exceeding the new limit are immediately removed and discarded. Piles under the new limit may not be collected, even if they would have hit the previous target value. Piles under the new target remain in play.

It is the values on the cards that are tallied, not the number of cards in the pile.

Some cards have negative values.

Once the "last turns card" appears it is discarded and each player takes their last turn.

the value of all the cards the players have collected is added up and the person with the highest value is the winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gray
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Card fronts designed in publisher and rules summary written. Want to see if it works before I design a back.

Initially cards are business card sized 5.4 x 8.5 to match my cutter for quick prototyping. When I get it right I'll do full poker sized ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gray
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a couple of good games with my eldest and everything seems to work ok. She enjoyed it enough to want to play more than once. I am not sure of the best way to determine the winner yet.

two options seem to offer the most opportunity to players -

Count of all the cards won by each player - an easy option but makes no account of negative values gained.

Total value of all cards won by a player - takes account of negative values but will give big sums for little heads when adding up.

A Short Time Later...

OK whilst typing this I decided if space were available on the rules card to include both methods and easy and a challenging variants. It ducks the issue I know but give a choice to players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Techstar wrote:

OK whilst typing this I decided if space were available on the rules card to include both methods and easy and a challenging variants. It ducks the issue I know but give a choice to players.

Hey, if you've got the space, why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gray
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Techstar wrote:

Hey, if you've got the space, why not?

Card design indeed allowed it. The files are now available through the google drive link. Other than the dice this game is completely self contained on the 54 cards, which I'm really pleased with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nithya Nagarajan
msg tools
Techstar wrote:
[q="kurthl33t"][q="Techstar"]
The files are now available through the google drive link.

I can't find the link!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gray
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here you go

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-R4ltmn91a2cExjc2lu...

It was only in the game's entry on the entry list, corrected that now, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls