Popular Tags: asljr_rsp [+] [View All]
Isley
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I finally found someone that playes ASL in my town (and he seems to know the rules pretty well...even impressed me by having the IFT memorized) and had my first non starter kit game last night. We ran out of time but were able to play a bit of Scenario C (one of the classic squad leader updates from MMP's home page). Anyway, it was a total blast and for the next game I'm looking for something with MMCs and ordance (I'll move on to AFVs after that...didn't really do anything with them in the little I played of Scenario C).

So, what scenario (that just has squads and ordance...OBA would be ok too...gotta learn sometime I guess) would be good for someone just starting out? My opponent apparently owns everything except for Armies of Oblivion, but I'd probably like to just stick to Europe to keep things simple. I will say that I would like something a little less dense than scenario C...as the russians I had like 40 some squads crammed into a few buildings.

So:
Low counter density (and I guess not too long either).
Ordnance (but not too much...just enough to get the hang of things)
Not too long
Newbie friendly (my opponent has the rules down...but I don't have any pressing need to jump straight into night glider landings at this point)
and...Fun!
(oh, and available in the modules too I guess...to make sure my opponent has it)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vrabel
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Scenario recommendations for a newbie with a good teache
What about 'Fighting Withdrawl' scenario 1, from BV. That's a classic, the Russians must exucte a fighting witdrawl (Who'd have thought it?) against the Finns. Oh, and the town is on fire.

Very well balanced, and great fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isley
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be my choice (and I'm sure I'll play it soon) but I'm looking for something with some ordnance too (which if I remember right that one didn't have any did it? I'm at work or I'd check my copy of BV to make sure)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Earl Schultz
South Korea
USAG Humphreys - Pyeongtaek, South Korea
US Armed Forces - Pacific
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

You talked about playing Scenario C from the MMP site. Hopefully that means you know you can download the ASL Classis scenario booklet from their link at http://www.multimanpublishing.com/ASL/scenarios.php where it talks about ASL Action Pack #1 and Streets of Fire being available for download. There is also a picture of ASL Classic there as well that can be downloaded also making all 3 available even though only the first two are listed.

In ASL Classic I would ask you to take a look at T5 The Pouppeville Exit where the Germans are given their setup locations for 7 squads and 2 AA Guns and a jeep. The 6 American squads setup in their area and then set out to take 2 buildings and take out the guns.

A good way for you to play the Americans to watch how your friend uses the guns and space against your 8 tuns to victory.

Plus with the 3 links above a good way to get into the game for free to look at some scenarios espically if you or him have the delex boards for SoF then again load up VASL on your laptop and play away face to face who says VASL has to be only online or through email.

Just my 2 cents.

Earl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
To learn ordnance:

ASL 14 Silence That Gun (Paratrooper)

To learn tanks & vehicles:

ASL 6 Red Packets (Beyond Valor)

ASL 23 Under the Noel Trees (Yanks)

To learn aircraft:

ASL 46 Birds of Prey (Last Hurrah)

Just plain fun:

DASL 1 Guryev's Headquarters (Streets of Fire, infantry)

DASL 3 Storming the Factory (Streets of Fire, tanks & ordnance)
heck... every scenario in Streets of Fire is fun!

ASL F Paw of the Tiger (Classic Collection, tanks!!!)

ASL E Hill 621 (Classic Collection... it's a monster, with a playing time measured in days and not hours, but every ASL player should try it at least once, just to experience it!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Earl, how do you do VASL over a LAN? I've never been able to figure it out...it always wants to go online, and I could never figure out where to manually enter IP addresses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend that you learn the offboard artillery rules first, (Section C1) and then try a few infantry + mortar scenarios.

Generally direct fire ordnance and vehicles go hand in hand, and I'd reckon on learning the vehicles without ordnance first to get a handle on their movement first.

So for me I's suggest
Scenario D - those 32 Russian squads will disperse if they have any sense
Infantry + Mortar scenarios
Scenario I - basic vehicles (trucks, jeeps and a halftrack).

Then go ordnance. One of the hardest ASL decisions to make is placing a gun, bad placement can be critical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isley
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As an update I played ASL 14 Silence That Gun (Paratrooper) this weekend. Ordnance was suprisingly straightforward and I feel pretty good about the rules now. We played it twice, the first game as the americans was a debacle (but at least it helped me learn why I should respect ordnance) but the second I was able to hang on with the Germans (thanks to breaking almost all of his squads in one turn...CH with the gun and a couple threes).

I will say that I'm getting to the point where the rules are finally becoming clear...unfortunately the tactics are now revealing themselves to be a big hurdle. Though it seems easier to defend than "silence a gun". Still, tons of decisions...do I put that HMG on the second floor or am I opening it up to too much fire? Do I keep those squads concealed or do I prep fire with them. Do I charge that gun at point blank range?...oh wait I learned that lesson anyway

On to AFVs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Many of the PARATROOPER scenarios are "light" in size and scope.

Many of them will have Guns and some will have just a few tanks.

These are also very decent scenarios. I wouldn't suggest any scenario where you have more that 10 squads or 3+ Medium size tanks.

Those scenarios were designed to use them effectively and if you aren't very familiar with AFV's just keep it down to 1 or 2 to give yourself a chance after it get destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lea Schneider
Germany
Neubiberg
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about T2 ,,the puma prowls'' from the classic-pack?
4 pumas vs. 5 T70s. No infantry to clutter up the battlefield, great as an intro to AFVs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.