Popular Tags: [View All]
Clinton Paris
United States
Post Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that the City Building phase of the turn is to be done in secret. Honestly, I'm not sure how viable that is:

Building buildings in secret isn't really possible when people see you select buildings from the supply.

You have to announce when you build the Cathedral and Fountain, so they will never be done in secret.

If you are using one building's effects to allow the construction of another (i.e. using the Hospital to make room for another building) you really can't do it without it being a secret.

My thought is that the intent of the rule is to prevent someone from changing their build order in response to another player, but is it even realistic given the nature and mechanics of the game?

Are there groups out there playing the game without the "secretness" of the City phase? If so, does jockeying for turn order in the previous turn affect what buildings people will build?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
A purist would say that by watching other people, it would affect what you built. This would certainly be true for the player who has that saint that allows him to win by enveloping another player's ZOC (forget his name right now). It would be vital information for that player to know if someone else is extending their ZOC buy manning/building a stable or harbor.

So apparently the rules mean that everything is done in secret by placing a screen (which is not provided as pointed out by the rules) in front of your pieces and city grid. The Saint is announced after all this is done.

Realisticly, when we play the game, we just do everything in the open during that phase. No one really pays attention to what everyone is doing at that moment anyway. We trust each other when it comes to micromangement issues like clearing graves, buying things with resources etc. Then when all that's finally over, everyone just gives a brief synopsis of what they did or built.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
We do exactly the same. Everyone is fair enough to not watch what his/her opponents do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm a fan of the screen idea. Then again, I have several screens, so it is easy enough to use them...

...there are a lot of times when knowing what others are doing will change my own play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fuga
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have made some screens. The picture is up, just waiting for the file to be approved, hope you like them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
They are excelent David. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.