Subject: Runebound or Prophecy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been having this same problem. I'm going with prophecy because the endgame forces player interaction, even though they both seem to have their benefits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

NT. Hong Kong
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I would choose Runebound.

The production quality of Prophecy won't beat Runebound. And at this moment, the variation of Runebound is much better. Maybe someday there will be english expansion for P.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played Prophecy, but even from the pictures I can see that I prefer Runebound. Production quality is quite high, and the setting feels very D&D-like or Lord of the Rings-like, which suits me just fine. The look of the Runebound table while in play is very appealing to me.

And the Runebound expansions (most just card sets) are quite nice. I have yet to acquire Island of Dread or Midnight... but I absolutely will in the near future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they both have their up-sides. Prophecy is actually a great game and is closer to Talisman in spirit, but with some actual strategy involved. You travel around a more "symbolic" map, like in Talisman, whereas Runebound has an actual Hex map. The production quality is a bit worse than Runebound (and no miniatures), but is still quite good. Runebound does currently have more expansions, but Prophecy supposedly has 2 expansion that will eventually get reprinted in English.
So basically, I think they're both quite good and I have them both, which probably doesn't help you make up your mind at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have both and have played Runebound (and some of the expansions) 5ish times, and Prophecy 3 times. I agree with a lot of the above comments. Runebound has better production value and tons of expansions. It's unknown if Prophecy expansions will come out in English (as far as I know). But the production of Prophecy is pretty nice, just not as good as Runebound. Prophecy has lower downtime, and I would say more interaction. To me, Prophecy has a good deal more strategy, while Runebound has a nice push-your-luck feel to it. I think all in all, I like Prophecy better, but with Runebound expansions making that game more replayable right now, it's a tough call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Fade
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm having the same tough call right now. I want something fantasy-ish to play besides Descent and Talisman. Both Prophecy and Runebound sound like good in-betweens. Prophecy is probably more my style, but I don't want it unless the expansions come out in English.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark camp
United States
Lesser Binghamton Area
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both and like Runebound better. I like the variety in Runebound with the expansions, I like the art better, and it feels faster to me, although it can take forever with more than 3 or 4 players.

Prophecy does plenty right though, I especially like the health/strength mechanic, it just seems to drag on and on when we play it, and I don't like the PvP endgame.

Oh yeah, and I don't like the board or art in Prophecy which definitely hurts my opinion of it. To qualify that a bit, I found Talisman's art very engaging. It made it easy to imagine the game world, it had a certain charm. . . Runebound's map is dry, but I like the card art, while I don't like much of Prophecy's art at all. Of course everyone will have their own opinion on art and how much it influences their fun.

If you like Talisman, Prophecy is probably closer in gameplay, but Runebound is closer in feel and variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, much has been said... One point to underline though : Prophecy is more interesting regarding strategy (imo), and planification in movement is more prominant. Also, I find the ability sytem in Prophecy quite interesting, both game-wise and theme-wise. But the game is a bit long out of the box.
I like and play both, depends of what I want... In any case you won't be disappointed.
(ok I don't stay neutral and vote for Prophecy )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Harris
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
Kris wrote:
Well, much has been said... One point to underline though : Prophecy is more interesting regarding strategy (imo)

I disagree with this. I found Prophecy very limiting, especially in terms of hero development.
I will say it 'feels' a lot more like talisman than runebound does though.

First up, I haven't played Prophecy but I'm a *huge* fan of Runebound. The comparisons with Talisman are interesting - I've always thought that RB(v2) was the game I wanted Talisman to be! The latter I found to be too linear and 'scripted' for my tastes but I played it because there wasn't much better around at the time )-;

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, as I said, it's just my opinion.
What I mean is that I have more ease and pleasure to plan my future turns in Prophecy than in Runebound. Also, I like how in Prophecy the characters develop not only in scores and items, but also in guild abilities that give strategic options and flavor (like "nautical rites" for example).
On the other hand the fight itself is more interesting in Runebound than in Prophecy.
Well, I understand it's more a matter of taste. And I really don't like Talisman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Kris - I agree completely with you. Because of the dice roll mechanism for Movement, you can't really plan future turns out in Runebound, other than what general direction you are heading. Also all quests are hidden, so other than the items in town, there is little to influence you to go to one way or another. In Prophecy, you really need to plan your turns out several turns in advance. You can see one of the two quests on each space (if the space is full) so you can try to figure out if you can defeat the monster, if so is the reward worthwhile, when should you head to the guild for upgrades, plan when to go for healing, etc. And the upgrades you get from the guild do add a lot of flavor and customization to your character. But yes, the combat in Runebound is more interesting/deep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, James, we should play together ! And I forgot the important fact that most of the cards are open in Prophecy !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sounds like Runebound wins, for me at least.

Thanks for the opinions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Fade
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Well, I decided on Runebound for now (my friend is the one actually buying it ) and we played tonight. Quite fun! We couldn't finish the game but we learned it at least. I still plan to get Prophecy for my own collection at some point (basically, when they find English publishers and I can get the game and expansions through my favorite discount-man).

I can see how Runebound would drag with more than 3-ish players. No problem for us as it's usually just us 2. This is a perfect game for us and is basically what my friend SHOULD have bought instead of that mega-monster Descent (awesome game, but we don't have the players usually).

My friend usually goes crazy and buys expansions for anything he's into . . . what would you guys recommend first to spice up 2-player head-to-head play? I'm thinking Midnight should be the LAST thing he buys for this since it sounds like it turns this into a Descent-like game (multiple players vs. a "overlord" if you will). I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him with an expansion before we even get our second game in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would start with decks rather than any of the big box expansions - more bang for your buck. Although I haven't played with the class decks yet, I think that would be a good thing to add one (one deck per player). Also the red decks (e.g. sceptre of Kyros) are nice as they change the end game. The item decks to me really didn't add as much - just more variety for items, not a different story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ruvion .
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh some of the ideas espoused by Prophecy fans seem to make for a good Runebound expansion.

Guild wars (with heroes endowed with guild sponsored abilities) in the city of Frost Gate interest anyone as a big box expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.