United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
With 2 players, you always get the best or the worst reward in a major episode, which I think is a bit harsh.

We play that 2 of the first 3 spaces are available. Whichever space is not available is randomly determined at the beginning of each major episode. Therefore spaces 1,2 or 2,3 or 1,3 will be available. This mixes things up a bit in a 2 player game, making it more variable and less extreme.

To make it more intersting, randomly determine the available 2 spaces AFTER the auction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
voynix wrote:
With 2 players, you always get the best or the worst reward in a major episode, which I think is a bit harsh.

Yes. And the problem is?

Quote:
We play that 2 of the first 3 spaces are available. Whichever space is not available is randomly determined at the beginning of each major episode. Therefore spaces 1,2 or 2,3 or 1,3 will be available. This mixes things up a bit in a 2 player game, making it more variable and less extreme.

To make it more intersting, randomly determine the available 2 spaces AFTER the auction.

Careful design, playtesting and so on from one of the world's leading game designers ... nah, let's ignore it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Lopez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The often great disparity between event "rewards" is what makes the decision (and the auction) interesting in two-player Beowulf. This forces gambling on risks and creates a sense of true reward or loss with respect to card management and gambling, which is the heart of the game. With that said I don't think the game needs a variant. This same reasoning also applies to more than two-players: *somebody* will be stuck with a "reward" that is significantly less valuable (or actually hurtful). What you offer may be a nice change but would probably soften the tension that makes Beowulf interesting.

I once offered a variant for two-player Goa only to find (later - and with some encouragement from other BGGers) that the original game didn't need a variant. After much play I realized that Goa is a fantastic two-player game straight out of the box and with no variant. I think the same may apply to Beowulf, although I wouldn't call it "fantastic" with only two - not yet at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A specific problem with the suggestion is that no one will ever take a wound in any episode, let alone the double wound. This defeats the careful balancing of number of wounds, opportunities to heal wounds, and the 3 wound threshold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
And all this doesn't even mention that you've essentially thrown forward planning out the window - there is a 33% chance that the reward you are targeting won't even be an option.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
A specific problem with the suggestion is that no one will ever take a wound in any episode, let alone the double wound. This defeats the careful balancing of number of wounds, opportunities to heal wounds, and the 3 wound threshold.

My read of this varient is that there is still a choice of only two options, but those two options can be any of the first three rewards. The two that are up for grabs is determined by some random method prior to resolving the event. So wounds are still a possibility, but 1/3 less likely.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
My read of this varient is that there is still a choice of only two options, but those two options can be any of the first three rewards.

You're right, I mistook the (really bad) randomness in the final option as the only randomness.

Quote:
The two that are up for grabs is determined by some random method prior to resolving the event. So wounds are still a possibility, but 1/3 less likely.

Which isn't good. And a special case of the point you've already made,
you don't know how important the All Iron Shield is until after you've competed for it, whether the double wound is an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.