Popular Tags: asljr_rsp [+] [View All]
Josh Stein
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules in SK1 are a bit vague on Assualt movement. It states:

A unit that moves only one hex during the MPh may use Assault Movement if the player declares that he is using Assault Movement, and the move does not take all of the units MF. (my emphasis)

I had a situation in scenario #3 wherein my American 666 would like to attempt smoke in an adjacent hex (2MF) then (Assault) move into a hex 'behind' the smoke (1MF) for a total of 3MF.

Is this legal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vrabel
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can do whatever you like, throw smoke, pick up SWs, drop SWs, move, so long as you only move one hex, don't use all yout MF and (If full ASL at least) don't have to become CX to do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrmcmeowmeow wrote:
I had a situation in scenario #3 wherein my American 666 would like to attempt smoke in an adjacent hex (2MF) then (Assault) move into a hex 'behind' the smoke (1MF) for a total of 3MF.

Moving into smoke costs 1 extra MF. So laying smoke in an adjacent clear hex then moving into it would cost 4 MF. You could not use Assault Movement because that would use up all your MF (unless you moved with a leader).

So my question is: Can you Assault Move first then lay smoke adjacent (using all 4 MF)? I think not as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Jim Cote wrote:
So my question is: Can you Assault Move first then lay smoke adjacent (using all 4 MF)?

No.

Jim Cote wrote:
I think not as well.

You're correct. You cannot split your move, using Assault Movement for some MF expenditures and normal movement for the rest. A unit either makes its entire move under the Assault Movement condition, or it doesn't use Assault Movement at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richfam wrote:
You cannot split your move, using Assault Movement for some MF expenditures and normal movement for the rest. A unit either makes its entire move under the Assault Movement condition, or it doesn't use Assault Movement at all.

Doesn't this contradict your own post?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/731316#731316

Or are you only referring to the condition of the unit using ALL the remainder of its MF?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will DeMorris
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know of 2 ways a squad can put smoke in an ajacent hex while using Assault Movement.

1) Declare Assault Movement and move into the ajacent hex as long as the MP cost is less than or equal to 2. Then for 1 MP roll for Smoke placement in the now currently occupied hex. (Of course this dosen't apply to green or conscript squads, but hey who ever saw conscripts with a smoke exponent anyway?)

2) Declare Assault Movement and then expend 2 MPs to roll for Smoke in the desired ajacent hex. This keeps your squad from suffering the -1 FFNAM modifier. After that they could move 1 hex but not into the newly placed Smoke.

In both cases these tactics are really suited for setting up safer moves for squads that move later in the Movement Phase.

-Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
ekted wrote:
richfam wrote:
You cannot split your move, using Assault Movement for some MF expenditures and normal movement for the rest. A unit either makes its entire move under the Assault Movement condition, or it doesn't use Assault Movement at all.

Doesn't this contradict your own post?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/731316#731316

Or are you only referring to the condition of the unit using ALL the remainder of its MF?

Nope, no contradiction... but my comment "You can combine other MF expenditures with Assault Movement," in that old post was certainly poorly worded! I was incorrectly referring to Assault Movement as the act of moving to another hex, when actually Assault Movement applies to all MF expenditures by a unit, which may or may not include moving to another hex. Placing smoke is just as much a form of Assault Movement as is entering a new hex, and that was the point I was trying to make there.

I should have said something like: "When using Assault Movement, you can combine the MF cost of entering an adjacent hex with other MF expenditures,".

What can I say? I was just a dumb kid back then...

In any case, if a unit wishes to use Assault Movement, it must declare this before it expends any MF, and then the restrictions and benefits of Assault Movement will apply to all of its MF expenditures in that MPh.

I'll expand my answer to your original question:

Quote:
So my question is: Can you Assault Move first then lay smoke adjacent (using all 4 MF)?

No, because when you make the smoke placement attempt you are still using Assault Movement, which prohibits you from using all of your 4 MF in this MPh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richfam wrote:
No, because when you make the smoke placement attempt you are still using Assault Movement, which prohibits you from using all of your 4 MF in this MPh.

Thanks. That's all I was checking (ie if you meant because it was 4 MF or because it was a non-movement use of MF). I think I will do much better next time I play the Germans S1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.