Popular Tags: [View All]
Julia Ziobro
United States
Black Hawk
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a brag post (necessarily). We're thinking through games that Felix can already play, and what more "adult" games he can learn so that we can teach him one each weekend until the Con.
This weekend, we taught him Splendor with mixed results. Had to remind him of rules frequently but he won the first game and we were all neck and neck today.

He can already play
The Kids of Catan
Monster Factory
Mondo
Rhino Hero
Noueni
Sorry! Sliders
FITS
Kalah
Checkers
Snap: The Interlocking Dragon-Making Game
My First Carcassonne
Castle Panic
PitchCar
and a bunch of others (I'm hoping my husband will chime in, because I'm forgetting some, for sure). He cheats at Battleship, so we won't play that with him anymore.
John Sheppard
United States
Bellevue
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
, what else can Felix play? What's the dragon one?

I'm considering teaching him Sushi Go! next, and I'm intrigued by the thought that he might be up to Bohnanza. I am sure he'd like FlowerFall and I bet he can learn Fluxx. He will absolutely love Tumblin-Dice. He will be good at Hamsterrolle, but wow, does that game infuriate me. LOL

What do your kids like to play? I want to teach him some more "real" games before we fly to Dallas. He's right on the edge of being able to play the easiest of the regular games we love... very exciting!
JAZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Satellite
Low Earth Orbit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 9 and two 6 year olds. Aside from some you mentioned, we also play Coconuts (more tactical than you'd think), Age of War (family fave), Dungeon!, Loopin Louie, Rise of Augustus, Amazing Labryinth, Magic Labrinyth, and King of Tokyo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kravetz
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter is 8.

She has played SmallWorld, Kingdom Builder, Amazing Labyrinth, Ticket to Ride, Mice and Mystics, Evolution, Formula D, Candamir, and Sentinels of the Multiverse.

As well as your standard kid games.

She does alright on most of those. She needs the most help with Sentinels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Gronk Smash!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to King of Tokyo. My 8 and 6 yr old daughters love that game. I too was thinking of teaching them Sushi Go....easy game and it's fun. I might try to teach them Ticket to Ride this weekend. They keep eying it on my shelf and ask to play it all the time.

Also....Zombie Dice....they love that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Black Hawk
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John says I'm thinking of Castle Blast, not Castle Panic. Ooops.

Thanks for the good ideas. He has eyed Ticket to Ride and that's one of my true favorites (it was the first real Euro I played, I think). He has a hard time managing hands of cards so I think I'm going to get some of those card holders first. I cringe to think of what he'd do to my train cars just monkeying around with them!

We taught him Pickomino tonight and I think Gravwell: Escape from the 9th Dimension could be next.

Thanks for the ideas. I wonder about Quarriors!.
JAZ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nello Cozzolino
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Brascogames London U.K. www.brascogames.webs.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Alpen Express
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperors Grace
United States
Rexford
New York
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;The old that is strong does not wither,Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Microbadge: Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers fanMicrobadge: Disney fanMicrobadge: LEGO fanMicrobadge: Girl Genius fanMicrobadge: TSR fan - (1982-1991)
My son (7) likes Sushi Go, I'd definitely recommend it.

He's also been playing (and loving) King of Tokyo, Terror in Meeple City, Settler's Junior, Castellan, Survive!, Ticket to Ride, and Hey, That's My Fish.

Best KoT story was his needing one of every face (1,2,3,heart,claw,energy) on his last turn to upset the game and win. His first roll and reroll had mixed results and I pointed out that it was very unlikely to roll the remaing faces. He lighly paraphrased Han's "never tell me the odds" and proceed to reroll 3 of the six for his second reroll - and won the game with all six faces showing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
or zombies or ...
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
Microbadge: WingMicrobadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fanMicrobadge: I love PortlandMicrobadge: Beer fanMicrobadge: Wing
I would recommend Black Fleet. My son likes it. (7 yo)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Folsom
United States
Wilmore
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madmanw wrote:
Wow, I wouldn't think a 7 yo would be able to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a first game, we got a *ton* of mileage out of Reiner Knizia's Amazing Flea Circus.

Edit: this post is probably not going to be much help to the op. But maybe for those who want to introduce a little one to gaming, that's my suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Venters
United States
Evergreen
Colorado
flag msg tools
If you want to sing out...
badge
Music is the sound of human emotion
Microbadge: Agricola (Revised Edition) fan!Microbadge: Juilliard School of MusicMicrobadge: 2020 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: On Mars fanMicrobadge: I used a Monochrome Monitor
I just wrote a not-so-hot review for a new Mayfare game called Gold Ahoy. Not that it is a bad game, but it is a great intro game for children who want to learn time placing games like Carcassonne.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1346127/bronze-level-ga...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Here's the gaming go-to's at my house with a non-gamer wife and a 6 year old son.

Survive: Escape from Atlantis
Sushi Go
King of Tokyo
Catan Junior
Carcassonne
Mice & Mystics
Hot Tin Roof

Ticket to Ride will be our next foray because I think he'll dig the trains aspect coupled with the route building that's more complex than Hot Tin Roof and isn't French Alley Cat themed.

We started with King of Tokyo and it took a long time for my son, 5 then, to get cooking with the strategy and after a lot of coaching it definitely caught on. Catan Junior was far easier for him to grasp and Survive is by far his favorite.

He likes the competitive and luck based aspects of these games.

Sushi Go is too much luck for his liking. The pudding cards can be removed because in a 3 player game they're, frankly, annoying to my 6 year old because whoever happens to get one is effectively forced to take it.

Hot Tin Roof was really popular with him when we got it, but he (and my wife and I) quickly bored of the game. It's a good game, but it never really feels like you're making strategic decisions. The game introduces a number of Euro-style mechanics to kids in an easy to grasp way which is great though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd M
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
themaster408 wrote:
madmanw wrote:
Wow, I wouldn't think a 7 yo would be able to play it.
It probably depends on what else you've been playing with them. My son turns 7 in May and does quite well at Black Fleet But then, we've been playing board games with him and his sister since he was 3. And I always push them to play harder games than "recommended."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd M
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some games our almost 7-year-old enjoys:

Co-Op
Castle Panic
Forbidden Island
Forbidden Desert
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Mice and Mystics

Competitive
Black Fleet
Skyline
Coup
Tsuro
Hey, That's My Fish!
Love Letter: The Hobbit – The Battle of the Five Armies
Takenoko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Black Hawk
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thrilled that this thread has taken off, and for all the great suggestions. We don't even own some of these games, but we have many of them, so we'll get going!
meeple
I also believe in pushing kids a little beyond the recommended ages. Felix has been around us playing board games since he was born and has gotten taking turns and that sort of thing since he was 2. The HABA Wild Vikings was a great $5 BGG flea market purchase that introduced him to bidding games. He has really grasped so much more strategy just in the past few months and by Christmas, it's actually going to be fun to play games with him, instead of having to coach him most turns, talking to him about hurting the cards and stuff, and reminding him to be a good sport, all of which can turn a game slightly towards work. I know you know what I mean. It sounds like there will be a bunch of kids at his level in May, and that is excellent.
JAZ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin Lai
msg tools
I have kids aged 7, 5 (and 3, but mainly it's the older two that can play games). They have liked:

- Alhambra
- Catan
- Love Letter (just got the Batman version too which they also liked)
- Takenoko
- Machi Koro (Our eldest loved this, we borrowed it from my sister for a week. The other two kids, not so much)
- Sushi Go, see that it was already mentioned, would also recommend this highly. A very cute game, and one we play without the kids too.
- Beasty Bar, just bought this and it was fun. Animals trying to get into "a party", they liked the theme
- The Three Little Pigs

I received King of New York as a gift before ever playing King of Tokyo. Tokyo being simpler might be better for kids to start with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kit Kravetz
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mkmagius01 wrote:
My daughter is 8.

She has played SmallWorld, Kingdom Builder, Amazing Labyrinth, Ticket to Ride, Mice and Mystics, Evolution, Formula D, Candamir, and Sentinels of the Multiverse.

I thought of a few other games to add to the list. She (our 8-year-old) and I will sometimes play games just the two of us. ALSO: at game get-togethers with our friends the other two couples have only boys that are either older or younger than her, so the last two times she asked to play games with us ladies.

Qwirkle
Can't Stop
DC Deck Builder (she needed help, but understood by the end)
Martian Dice
Dixit
Dixit Odyssey (several of the kids LOVED playing this one!)

Also about Evolution: she played it with her dad & I right after we got it. Her dad had to help her quite a bit at first, but by the end of the game she was doing her turns completely by herself without any assistance. We were really impressed that she was able to do that. She got the biggest kick out being able to make her own animals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Black Hawk
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyralove wrote:
mkmagius01 wrote:
My daughter is 8.

I thought of a few other games to add to the list. She (our 8-year-old) and I will sometimes play games just the two of us. ALSO: at game get-togethers with our friends the other two couples have only boys that are either older or younger than her, so the last two times she asked to play games with us ladies.

Qwirkle
Can't Stop
DC Deck Builder (she needed help, but understood by the end)
Martian Dice
Dixit
Dixit Odyssey (several of the kids LOVED playing this one!)

Also about Evolution: she played it with her dad & I right after we got it. Her dad had to help her quite a bit at first, but by the end of the game she was doing her turns completely by herself without any assistance. We were really impressed that she was able to do that. She got the biggest kick out being able to make her own animals.
Kit,
This is really cool. Felix will be 7 in about a week, so he won't be up to all of these games... but we really are entering the golden years for being able to learn and play new games. I hope we strike a good balance between fun and hungry/tired/brain overload so that he wants to come back for more. LOL

One of the things that I'd love to see come out of this con is real gaming friends for Felix... who might come to BGG@SEA next year. I can't say which we're more likely to attend in 2016... it all depends on school scheduling... but my 15-year old daughter would really rather go on the cruise as she is not a gamer.
JAZ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pleb compromise
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
games our 7 year old plays and enjoys:

Galaxy Trucker
Small World
Takenoko
Dominion
Cash and Guns
Catan (Star Trek)
Zombicide
King of Tokyo/King of New york
Power Grid (a bit beyond him though)
Fluxx (Zombie, Star)
Ticket to Ride (need card holders for all the cards)
Carcassonne
7 Wonders
Dixit
Magic the Gathering

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls