Popular Tags: ebay [+] [View All]
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the rights to a boardgame "Galaxy Jive". A perfect business opportunity. All it takes is 1/2 a million and the world could be yours. gulp

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Pfeffer
United States
Bellefonte
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"The spin-off potential for Galaxy Jive™ has great potential. Besides just new editions of the game, toys and novelties and even a limited apparel line can be promoted as the game becomes more established."

I want a pair of Galaxy Jive™ pajamas! I bet they'll come with bell bottoms!

I'm also very curious about the spin-off potential's potential.

Now if only I could get the Settlers of Catan Gardening 'N' Road-Building Kit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say this game has OVERWHELMING potential written all over it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention it closely resembles Ninja Jive Galaxy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darn, I have half a million dollars, but Canadian dollars. I certainly would have bought the game, after all, at a suggested retail price of 40$, I only need to sell 100,000 copies to get even.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aljovin wrote:
Darn, I have half a million dollars, but Canadian dollars. I certainly would have bought the game, after all, at a suggested retail price of 40$, I only need to sell 100,000 copies to get even.
No no no... you only sell 10 copies of the game, but make your millions out of merchandising.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am OVERWHELMED. If only I had the money! What an opportunity!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Till Bockemühl
Germany
Cologne
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like how he offers the option of paying via PayPal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sooo...lessee here.

$40.00 MSRP = $2.00 royalty (depending on your contract terms-I know this is debatable).

So the game'd have to sell a quarter million copies for the publisher to break even on royalties.

OR: $40.00 MSRP = (about) $3.00/game profit above costs (optimistically).

Call it 200,000 copies to pay the license fee, BEFORE you're outa the red.

Hasbro's selling the old AH licenses for...what? Ten grand, didn't I hear? For games that, for the most part, were proven 5000+ sellers. And not finding a helluva lot of takers, for the most part.

I bet somebody at Hasbro is gettin' a good chuckle outa this.

Though, I gotta admit, I hope he gets it. Just for sheer chutzpah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an even better deal. For only $150,000, you can get the rights to the game "Trinoly".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This reminds me of the story of the blind pencil seller.

I asked him, "How much for a pencil?"

He told me casually "Five hundred thousand dollars".

"Wow!" I said. "You're not going to get many people willing to buy a pencil for a five hundred thousand dollars!".

"Maybe not" he shrugged, "but I only need to sell one!"

The listing prompted me to look up the inventor, Lee Encinas, on the Geek. He says the game generated "interest" at Origins, but he's not in our database.

Adding to the amusement, the search took me to another game whose rights are being sold on eBay, for $150,000. The game, "Trinoly", is described as being unique, that the rules are being withheld, and that the author really hates to sell the rights, because he is convinced he's got something big here, but he needs to raise money for other projects.

A quick look at the box makes the game look A WHOLE LOT LIKE "Nine Men's Morris".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the 18.80 shipping on the 150,000$ Trinoly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
Here's an even better deal. For only $150,000, you can get the rights to the game "Trinoly".

I love the description:

"It provides hours of intriguing family fun to alleviate boredom."

"It can be played by two or more players." - it only shows two colors of pieces. I guess that's part of the rules that have been "deleted for trade secret."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonathan Degann wrote:
... and that the author really hates to sell the rights, because he is convinced he's got something big here, but he needs to raise money for other projects.

Gaahhhh. Keerist...how big does he think it could be?

Market research helps a LOT, guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
It could be for real, but I doubt anyone is insane enough to believe that their idea for a new Monopoly style game is worth $500,000. It's far more likely that he's trying to find someone to produce it for him, and this is just a publicity stunt.

He's hoping the auction will get linked to on various gaming sites, and maybe even a mention in the mainstream news based on the starting bid. All it's costing him to run the listing is $5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the option Ebay offers - Shop now, pay after the holidays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
... and that the author really hates to sell the rights, because he is convinced he's got something big here, but he needs to raise money for other projects.

Quote:
Gaahhhh. Keerist...how big does he think it could be?

Market research helps a LOT, guys.

If this really is Nine Men's Morris, this falls more into the category of "scam" than "some poor dope's naive pipe dream."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:

The images from www.trinoly.com are hosted at www.kapenda.net, see if you can figure out what they actually do or have done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay T Leone
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wtf!? Why do people do this? Not to mention how much time is wasted by putting this on ebay, but also serves as a free donation to Ebay. So dumb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
kentreuber wrote:

The images from www.trinoly.com are hosted at www.kapenda.net, see if you can figure out what they actually do or have done.

I love this quote from their investor page:

kapenda.net wrote:
Investment Information

To date, Kapenda Corporation has yet to require outside investment capital, however, from time to time there may be opportunities for certain qualified investors to invest in Kapenda Corporation . If you would like more information on investment opportunities in Kapenda Corporation, please send an email to info(at)kapenda.net. Please make sure to include your personal contact and background information, as well as your investment history.

Yep, they don't need any investment if they can find suckers to buy up this stuff...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

This is getting to be fascinating. The kapenda website is amazingly vague, implying that they are divirsified to the point of having no particular product. They list no customers. Their product page has no product.

A deeper search shows that the web page for its owner has been taken down, but remants from the search engine have him self-described as a "serial entrepreneur".

Follow some links and you'll get to Trotwood Place, a real estate development in Ohio, apparently seeking investors. However, the page only describes this as a prospective project and no other references exist anywhere to Trotwood Place. arrrh

So, uh... who's putting in a bid for Trinoly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another interesting thing - his privacy link conveniently takes you to an empty directory - so they have no privacy policy and apparently don't know how to run a website either...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ARGH! I came into this wanting to bye Trinoly, but people keep talking up Ninja Galaxy Galaxy Jive.

I'm probably going to end up buying both of them, as always...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you want to see a demonstration for how this game is played, I am available to come to wherever you are and show it to you, amid that you cover my travel and lodge expenses.

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you want to see a demonstration for how this game is played, I am available to come to wherever you are and show it to you, amid that you cover my travel and lodge expenses.

indeed

In fact a request like that is so transparently loopy it makes me question whether this guy really is a scam artist, as I previously believed, or is just out of touch with reality, and in serious trouble.soblue

I feel sorry for the daughter that he is putting through college, if indeed he has one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.