Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tex tex
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having heard great things about the movement mechanic in Bolide we decided to take it for a spin. It was after 12noon on Sunday, so we opted for a one-lap test drive. It was sufficient.

Kevin chose green, so I selected a Mardi Gras theme placing yellow and purple on the board as well. When player 4 joined us I gave him black.

After looking at the British track, we selected the french side. Our rationale was it had less diagonals. Did our rationale make sense? Possibly not.

We rolled the D12 for start order, and Kevin placed the low number at the front "All time trials are for the lowest time". When purple wound up a late scratch, Green was starting up front, black 2nd, and Yellow 3rd.

When we got our briefing on the move mechanic it sounded a lot like a game we played back in junior high we called "race track". Graph paper had just two uses back then: "Boxes" and "Race Track". The brakes sounded like a luxury, I had never tried that idea before.

At the start we stayed in order through turn 1 where yellow's 3rd start acceleration advantage allowed a pass exiting the turn. Black responded by speeding up in retaliation which generated issues in turn 2. Black had to grab the "extension paper" to plot his marker; it turns out he had to brake to stay on the track. The jockeying betwen yellow and black let green extend his lead to one turn heading down the back straight. I have a pic of this corner we might upload.

Both Green and Yellow braked in the first (right-hand) hairpin. These brakes are awesome, compared to the old way of slowing down way ahead of hairpins. Heading in to the corners at top speed was exciting.

Green decided to navigate the 2nd (left hand) hairpin without brakes. I was so excited to have brakes I was definitely using themin the sharpest corner on the track. A pic of the resultant pass has been uploaded, it is pending approval.

Blacks forced brake in turn 2 really took him out of our lap. It did give him freetrack to drive on, and he kept pace once he was back up to speed.

Yellow's two-turn lead leaving the hairpin slowly eroded, until Green was back just one turn down at the finish. Had we gone more laps, the extra brakes point in hand would definitely give Green the edge.

The champagne was flowing in victory lane afterwards.

Conclusions:
Green and Yellow loved the game with its move mechanic. Black was less enthused.

I will drive this again before I buy it, hopefully both sides of the board.

Rating: "Two (of Three) Thumbs Up !!!"

Ratings: on BGG Leader Board
Green ++
Yellow ++

vs vg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tex tex
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Here is the pass in the 2nd hairpin. It wasn't a real pass since Green was not using his brakes.

The pencil was there to ensure the yellow direction did not change by more than 90 degrees.

I want to play this game again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lee
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was the black player in this game. I enjoyed it, but I had quite a bit of difficulty visualising movement. Thematically, I can definitely see how this game would evoke the thrill of being on a race track.

I started to get a grasp of the game late in the lap, which was too late by then. But watching you and Kevin race for the checkered flag was quite exciting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.