Popular Tags: [View All]
Alessandro Mongelli
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How does it play?
Are there really fewer changes of ownership?
Does this rule help players without flags in regaining control of a government, or is it the opposite?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by playing without the investor card. It is central to gameplay and normally the only way to invest is when you have the investor card and someone selects or passes the investor action. If you played without it, no-one would ever have a chance to by bonds, so countries would never change hands. It would just be a rather poor war-game.

If, when playing normally, you don't have a country, you are allowed to invest in a country anytime someone lands on or passes the investor space even when you don't have the investor card. You don't get the 2 million invester bonus, so if you don't have enough cash to take a country, you have to wait to get payouts from one of your bonds. It can be a tough situation to be in, and someone could really get screwed, but everyone was always able to recover in our game. There were some tense times when I was low on money and the current investor was eying my country's stock!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Mongelli
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was referring to the variant rule published by Eggert Spiele:

http://www.eggertspiele.de/down/imperial/imperial_regel_korr...

Remove investor card from game.
Instead of using the investor card, each player can invest in a nation immediately after that nation takes its turn.
In addition to this procedure, players not owning governments can invest in any nation they wish, at any time.
On the rondel playing field “Investor,“ only the interests are paid. Passing through that field no longer has any special consequence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played the game once, but we definitely didn't like the way you couldn't issue new bonds. I am sure we will prefer to play the variant in future games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
I have only played the game once, but we definitely didn't like the way you couldn't issue new bonds.
Um, why couldn't you issue new bonds? I wonder if you made the same mistake we did on our first game. I misinterpreted the rules to say that when you're the investor and a nation crosses Investor space, the player with the Investor tile may only invest in the nation that landed on/past the Investor space. But clearly this is wrong, and the player with the Investor tile (along with all players who don't have any flags) can invest in whatever nation they want. So I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean about "the way you couldn't issue new bonds."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C.K. Au
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being able to invest in every turn can be a bit "volatile". I was thinking of mirroring the 18xx Investor phase where the Investor card is still in use (they call it the Deal Priority Card).

Here's how it works.

1. The Investor card is still in use and passes around like the standard game (ie. clockwise). It is only passed around (to next player) whenever a nation lands on or passes the Investor space in the rondel.

2. When the Investor phase is triggered
- The nation pays out dividends to existing bond owners
- The player holding the Investor card gets 2m from the bank
- Beginning with the player holding the Investor card, he may invest in one new bond or upgrade an existing bond of the nation that triggers the Investor phase
- Then all other players follow in turn order and can invest in one new bond or upgrade an existing bond of the nation that triggers the Investor phase (regardless of whether they run any governments)

3. The Investor card is then passed on to the next player clockwise.

The difference in this variant is that investment in bond is only triggered when a nation passes thru the Investor space. and not at the end of every turn.

Have yet to playtest this. Will do that in our next Imperial session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played with the variant, but so far (after about five plays) I have been very satisfied playing with the investor card plus the advanced set-up (where a bond of every country is offered in turn) because I prefer games that give players a wide range of choices. I like the volatility with the investor card and the fact that no one should get too comfortable with the country they control (and in this game it's probably just as huge an error to put all the eggs in one basket as it is to over-diversify and control nothing). I think the investor card makes it less of a wargame as well-- the key is getting the most out of a country while you control it, including pushing it up the chart, rather than whacking the other players' countries (which only seems to make sense if someone who is controlling a strong country and is about to win with it).

I think this is a very fine game that I am eager to play again and again, always looking for new angles. It will be interesting to see how it holds up after repeat play, but it seems like it should, particularly playing with these rules sets that offer the wider array of choices to introduce as much variety as possible into the game. Furthermore, in my view, if it ain't broke (and everything I have seen so far suggests this game is a long way from being "broke"), no need to fix it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.