Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all,

Introducing (again, as this has been posted on G+) MOOSE, an "automation system" for Ogre units in the Basic/Advanced scenarios:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1R9dMQLgKRfzizH1okkai7ubYGX...

MOOSE is based roughly off of the basic solo system described in The Ogre Book, but fleshes it out notably. Using the suggested force size (see the doc's first section), the "automated" Mark III (Basic Scenario) has been shown (via much playtesting) to beat the defending human player approximately half the time.

Once the handful of rules are memorized (which takes only 2-3 play-throughs), play time typically runs anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes. i.e. it's often faster than playing against a human opponent (who wants to think about his moves and measure distances to those pesky GEVs, etc.).

For those who enjoy playing Ogre solo (or are forced to via lack of human players), MOOSE provides more fulfilling results (IMO) than playing "the right hand versus the left."

Happy Ogring!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the document!

I just tried it out (a bit sloppily, reading it on the fly as I played) and it seemed to work out OK! I used 2 fewer defense units as suggested and ended up with a quite close game, a single surviving GEV pursuing a speed 1 Ogre, slowly shooting away at the treads, getting within one X result, but alas the Ogre got within missile range of the CP and fired its single missile it still had, for an Ogre win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Thanks for the document!

I just tried it out (a bit sloppily, reading it on the fly as I played) and it seemed to work out OK! I used 2 fewer defense units as suggested and ended up with a quite close game, a single surviving GEV pursuing a speed 1 Ogre, slowly shooting away at the treads, getting within one X result, but alas the Ogre got within missile range of the CP and fired its single missile it still had, for an Ogre win.

Great, thanks for letting us know!

Feel free to post feedback, either through PM or this thread (to which i subscribe). i will make every effort to improve it based on feedback, provided the changes doesn't make it overly complex. Once you've played 2-3 games, it plays very quickly, _especially_ if you use chits (as described in the doc) instead of dice to manage movement. i use a double set of chits so that i don't have to re-mix them after every draw, and that speeds up movement considerably compared to using dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gordon
United Kingdom
Brampton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mysterons - my kind of club...
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like that work Stephan, quite impressed

Will send you a note via email.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.