Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: convention [+] euroquest [+] [View All]
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
So, let's see some reports from Lobster Trap and EuroQuest. We've had some heavy conventioning going on over the past few days and we need to hear about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget Great Lakes Games 4, which was held a week before BGG.con, the same week as Lobster Trap. My abbreviated report was posted to Spielfrieks, I'll paste it here. Additions to the original report are in parentheses. By the way, anyone interested in an invitation to GLG 5 next fall (it will probably be in the NE Indiana or NW Ohio area) please email me.

Great Lakes Games is an invitational gaming gathering held annually in the upper midwest. Here are the games I played at GLG 4. (As one of the primary organizers, I don't get a chance to play as many games as I'd like, but I had a great time this year and managed to get some new things on the table.)

Wits and Wagers
This is a pretty neat trivia game where you bet on which answer is correct. I would have taken the copy off the prize table but it went just a few picks ahead of mine.

Auf Achse
One of my personal top ten games, I was able to play it twice on Thursday. I wouldn't have minded playing it again later in the weekend.

Kaleidos
I'd love to track down a copy of this one.

Ticket to Ride Marklin
This was a very tense game, because all four of us started building in the northeast corner of the map and things got pretty cutthroat. Theresa (my wife) still prefers the original.

Klunker
I consider this to be a game gathering essential. Easy to teach, quick to play, guaranteed fun, and lots of potential to joke around. The gold toothed guy has to be Mike Tyson's brother!

Nicht Die Bohne
Sometimes this feels like standing in the street waiting for the car to hit you. You know it's coming, but you can't do anything about it. It's even more satisfying when you can figure out how you can force someone else into that position!

Expedition
Another of my personal top ten games, and the first game I won of the convention.

Mykerinos
Very neat game, I will be buying a copy.

Ticket to Ride
Vanilla US version, four players, and we had a blast. I had great tickets (4 that went up the East coast plus Montreal to Vancouver) and ended up with all 45 of my trains in one line completing all my tickets for 140 points. I think that's the best I've ever done in this game. Theresa prefers this edition.

Leonard da Vinci
The first 4 rounds or so were a haze, trying to figure out what was going on. When I finally crested the hill of the learning curve I enjoyed the ride the rest of the way. This is a game I'd happily play again, but don't think I need to own, because I don't think it would get much play in my group.

Flower Power
It has been way too long since I played this game!

Money
As simple as this game is, it always seems to be hard for me to teach.

Fluxx
We had fun because the game didn't drag, and because we were drinking homebrewed stout made by Don Beyer, one of the designers of Bootleggers (strangely appropriate that he makes alcoholic beverages at home!)

Thingamajig
I joined a game of this in progress. I would have loved to have gotten into another game of it later in the weekend but didn't have the chance.

Hermagor
I really liked this. We played with five players, and when Valerie wandered by and said it was really good with three it made my decision to buy the game very easy. It's number one on my shopping list.

Factory Fun
I lasted about 3 rounds before I lost the ability to see what I was doing and crashed and burned. Still, I LOVED the game. I will probably never win the game, and will never be able to figure out how to play it well, but it is number two on my shopping list.

Rum & Pirates
Yo ho, ho hum, roll the dice and wish the game came with real rum. It was fun for a while but seemed to last one round too many.

Around the World in 80 Days
Mik was right, this one should have won SdJ. This one is edging toward my personal top ten, it's a fantastic family-weight game.

Union Pacific
Bruce Miller pursued a diversify strategy along with stealing first place in one of the larger railroads during the last round. He was last place in UP, but won the game by 11 points.

Maus Nach Haus
This is the best game of flicking little mice under a spinning wooden ring that I have ever played. It may well be the best game of this genre ever designed.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
This past weekend also had LudoOutaouais 2, the second convention held in the Outaouais region (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada's Quebec-side kid-sister-city).

I had a great time, myself. In one ~12 hour day I played 11 different games. For me, the real highlight was BattleLore (the convention organizers got hold of two prerelease copies for demo - both French, but my high-school-level French was enough to get me by with only occasional calls for translation assistance). I will definitely own this game by end of year (be it by winning the contest here, getting it from a loved one at Xmas, or failing those two, buying it with Xmas cash). Another memorable fun time was a 9-player (+ non-playing organizer) Pitchcar match, featuring several of the organizer's custom-made track segments (some truly nasty ones!).

Other games I played : Carolus Magnus, Hey That's My Fish!, Diamant, Pueblo, Colossal Arena, Wizard, Die Sieben Siegel, DVONN, and Tichu. Thoroughly enjoyed every one of them.

There was a plentiful door-prize table as well. No luck for me, but it seemed just about half the people I played games against won and claimed some very nice prizes - Chantal claimed Pitchcar, Martin claimed Cathedral, Mark claimed Commands and Colors: Ancients.

I understand the event also had a Settlers of Catan tournament that I was a little late for (shame on me for not checking the schedule against my planned arrival time) and I believe Day 2 (which I didn't attend) had a Command and Colours Ancients tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
So, let's see some reports from Lobster Trap and EuroQuest. We've had some heavy conventioning going on over the past few days and we need to hear about it.

I posted a geeklist here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/17566

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moi Aussi (French for me, too)

Link:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/17574

Randy, why don't you come to the darn Con instead of living vicariously off the experience of others?

Seriously, with a record attendance in spite of the conflicts, we (the organizers) were very pleased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
EuroQuest 2006

Another awesome GCOM event. The best part of these events is seeing our friends from MD, DE, VA, OH, NC, NJ and points beyond, that we don't get to see often enough. The second best part is all of the gaming, of course, and that's what you're here to read, I expect. So here we go:

Best of Show
Celebrities - We played this twice. This is my favorite party game, and all you need are 6+ people and some scraps of paper. The best mix-up from the second game was me miming a race car for Mario Andretti and my Puffin-partner blurting out Princess Diana. When asked to defend his blunder, he said that he thought my next move was to crash into a pole! Actually the absolute best involved mixing up Hugh Grant and St. Peter, but I can't repeat that story in polite company....

Medici vs Strozzi - a brilliant reduction of the classic Medici into a 2-player contest. If anything, it's even more tense than the multi-player version. I played this one 3 times and taught it at least 4 times to others. If you like Medici, you'll *love* this one. A must-buy for me.

Mr. Jack - a 2-player version of Scotland yard, sort of. Excellent production values, great artwork, great theme and excellent gameplay. I played this 4 times during the event, and taught it over a dozen times (literally). My copy is coming by fast-boat from Germany; I can't wait!

Space Dealer - We played 2 back-to-back games of this on Saturday night, and had a blast! What a great concept. The first couple of minutes go by a little slowly, but by the end you're frantically waiting for the timers to finish so you can launch into the next action. The sand timer discrepancies bum me out, but I'll figure out how to even it out somehow (we're looking into building our own). My copy is on the same aforementioned fast-boat from Germany.

Yspahan - My favorite so far from Ystari. I recognize that Ys and Caylus are really good games, but they just don't work for me. Too many things to keep track of, I think. Yspahan is a tad simpler, and I really like the dice mechanism. A must-buy as soon as it's available.

Nearly Best of Show
Gheos - Took me half a game to warm up to this one, but I really liked it by the end. The explanation was a little confusing, but it really is a simple, fun game. Someone described it as Carcassonne with war; I'm not sure I'd use that description, but it's not too far off. Must buy.

Notre Dame - The next Alea game. I really liked this one, too. Though the options are many, you only have 3 to choose from at any one time. I ran away with the game, and I'm not sure why. My only complaint is that, in a 5-player game, I only ever received cards from my two right-hand neighbors, and only ever gave cards to my two left-hand neighbors. Maybe if the direction switches up every other turn it would help spread some of the interaction around.

Animal Upon Animal - A terribly silly game that we played immediately after Yspahan, where my partner was stacking the camels. How apropos to play this game, then! I need to get this one if only for the late-night silliness factor.

Rest of the Show (Highlights and Lowlights)
================
Blue Moon City - One play, the night before the event. We came in early to meet a friend and two other friends showed up unexpectedly. It was an awesome way to start the long weekend.

Khronos - I didn't care for the game, and knew I would not from about half-way through the rules. I don't think it was a bad game, just not for me. Too much chaos for my tastes, and a tad fiddly. I think I saw someone describe the game as having exception-based rules. That feels right, to me. Others loved it, so YMMV.

Kung Fu Fighting - "Your Kung Fu is weak!" I learned this game last month, or maybe the month before, and I'm hooked! Played twice.

Spinball - I didn't play it, but I watched many games. Interesting and unique, though I'd probably just wind up crushing the ping-pong balls or something.

Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization - I only got to play the basic version, and we zipped through in just under 2 hours, I think. Amusingly we thought the game was going to be done in under an hour, until I found the other half of the Age I deck that I had used for examples. We tried to play the advanced game the next day, but couldn't find a time when all 3 of us were free. A shame. I think the mechanisms were fine, but all of the little beads were a pain. I would think blocks would have been easier. I'm on the fence about getting this one, and need to play the Advanced game before deciding. Not that I'd pay $100 for it even if I did come away liking it enough to buy it.

There were lots of other games that were there that I wanted to try, but just didn't have the time, energy or opportunity to do so (Hermagor, Pillars of the Earth, Underground something-or-other, Augsburg, Leonardo da Vinci and others, I'm sure). There's always next time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
David Vander Ark wrote:

Wits and Wagers
This is a pretty neat trivia game where you bet on which answer is correct. I would have taken the copy off the prize table but it went just a few picks ahead of mine.

We played a 6-team, 21-person game of this on Saturday night at EQ, hosted by the designer. Twas a lot of fun, though some of the answers were contested.

David Vander Ark wrote:
Kaleidos
I'd love to track down a copy of this one.

If you manage to track down two copies, let me know....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.