Jonathan Kidsley
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Long Eaton, Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
like Around the World in 80 days does (the Rieneck version.)

I dont mean its got to be a similar game to that, but a game that employs different mechanics.

I think this is a great game. I love the way combines different game mechanics (According to BGG - hand management,card drafting, point to point movement)

Ive played many other games which all play well but seem to fall into one particular category of gaming mechanic (sorry for using the world mechanic too much already) and leave me wanting more.

Around the World combines a good presentation with exellent game mechanics. I like the way you can use the upset other players by the use of the detective, the way the event cards work, the way you have to carefully plan your travel (do i go travel now with bad cards or wait for better ones and maybe finish too late) and the way you have to think carefully about which travel card+special power to choose is also very good. Not even mentioning the fact everyone is in a race and that adds to the fun. The time span is also very easy on the group with games lasting around an hour/hour and a half.

Despite the different things to think about I do think its light enough for the younger children in the group to understand what to do, and most important enjoy.

So my main question is- what games could you recommend to me that have "more strings to their bow" mechanics wise that are fun and can be enjoyed young and old alike. This may be a too general request with lots of games falling into the category but feel free to just recommend one.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Recommend games with different mechanics wanted
[You've probably played it before, but...] I think Catan, especially if you add Catan: Cities & Knights to it, has a really nice mix of "mechanics" that provide a number of options for each player to choose among, with each different strategy (i.e. choice among the options) having about the same chances of proving to be the winning strategy if played out right. Nice mix of balanced options.

Any of the Ticket To Ride games would also be good, I think, as they fit pretty much every one of your descriptions (good presentation, excellent mechanics, being able to upset other players, planning your strategy, light enough for younger players, choosing when to make your move and what move to make at which time, everyone in a race, etc). This is one of my family's most enjoyed games / game series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
The first game that came to my mind is Alhambra. It has hand management, building and set collection; it's easy enough for children and yet offers tough choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kidsley
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Long Eaton, Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks thus far

something i didnt mention but should add to my original post is that time span is very important. games that can play up to 1 hour 1.5 hour seem to sit well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haverty
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried Mission: Red Planet at BGG.con and liked it quite a bit (surprisingly so, for us). It is an area majority game, but with role-selection used to get your control markers from Earth to the areas on Mars. On top of that, each person has one complete set of role cards to choose from, and you don't get them back until/unless you choose the #1 role, so I consider it hand-management as well. Finally, as for strategy/decisions, I think the interaction of players and bonus cards offers some diversity, plus some of the roles feature strong "upset other players" with the ability to remove, replace and divert opponent pieces, as well as destroy an unlaunched spaceship (along with all the occupants). I think our 4-player game ran about an hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
something i didnt mention but should add to my original post is that time span is very important. games that can play up to 1 hour 1.5 hour seem to sit well

The suggestions of Settlers of Catan, Alhambra and Ticket to Ride (possibly the Marklin version if you want there to be a little bit "more" to the game) all fit this timespan nicely. Adding Cities and Knights to Settlers of Catan makes the game longer - possibly longer than you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Consider Queen's Necklace -- a "boardgamish" card game with hand management, resource management, blind bidding, bluffing, and significant player interaction. DaysOfWonder.com has a tutorial for it on their web site. Out of print, but still quite available on ebay and the like for about $20. A personal favorite that I don't think gets the respect it deserves.

My nine-year-old daughter enjoys it -- I think that's about the low end of its range.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride and Settlers were the first ones that came to mind for me, as well.

Another game I don't enjoy as much but also has the same sort of multiple-mechanic approach is Taj Mahal (which lists Auction/Bidding and Set Collection here, but I'd think the 'map' and the need to spatially join chains of palaces across regions gives it an almost point-to-point-movement feel, and the hand management aspects, make it a multi-faceted game - but maybe a little long for your target).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kidsley
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Long Eaton, Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for the recommendations. I do have Settlers and have played Ticket, but will be looking into the other games listed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.