Subject: Images needed for use in new card game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: cards [+] photos [+] [View All]
Nathan Beeler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Pretty soon, you've been around long enough that you're old.
badge
Why am I the only one who has that dream?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello fellow geeks,
I'm happy to announce that Dug Steen and I have sold our first game design to RnR games. It is a card game, currently called When You...Then You, that is set to debut sometime next spring (gathering attendees may have seen us playing it). We are very excited about the opportunity to help shepard our baby to production, and in doing so we have agreed to help secure 100 images to put on the 100 cards. This is where you come in -

We want your images.

We are on the hunt for fun, funny, or otherwise interesting images to put on the cards to act mostly as flavor. They can be photos, drawings, photoshop work, or anything as long as they are fun and they are yours to give. Additionally, if RnR ends up using at least one image you've submitted, then you will get a free copy of the game sent to you.

Dug has created a website - http://www.crookedsmiles.com/uploads - for people to submit images. If you or someone you know would be interested in having something of yours in the game, and are interested in trying to get a free copy of the game, then please feel free to submit something. I look forward to seeing what the geek can do.

Thank you for your time,
Nate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dogberry wrote:
Hello fellow geeks,
I'm happy to announce that Dug Steen and I have sold our first game design to RnR games. It is a card game, currently called When You...Then You, that is set to debut sometime next spring (gathering attendees may have seen us playing it). We are very excited about the opportunity to help shepard our baby to production, and in doing so we have agreed to help secure 100 images to put on the 100 cards. This is where you come in -

We want your images.

Can you tell us a little bit about what themes / styles are your preference here in the post?

That way, we don't have to visit the link to know... (reason for me: I can't see many sites from work).

We are on the hunt for fun, funny, or otherwise interesting images to put on the cards to act mostly as flavor. They can be photos, drawings, photoshop work, or anything as long as they are fun and they are yours to give. Additionally, if RnR ends up using at least one image you've submitted, then you will get a free copy of the game sent to you.

Dug has created a website - http://www.crookedsmiles.com/uploads - for people to submit images. If you or someone you know would be interested in having something of yours in the game, and are interested in trying to get a free copy of the game, then please feel free to submit something. I look forward to seeing what the geek can do.

Thank you for your time,
Nate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Beeler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordBobbio wrote:
Can you tell us a little bit about what themes / styles are your preference here in the post?

That way, we don't have to visit the link to know... (reason for me: I can't see many sites from work).

Well, as I mentioned in the post the most important thing is that they are fun images that you own. Other than that, I would say that they need to be family friendly, and that's probably it. There is no set theme or style, because we want things that are all over the place. We currently have a lot of pictures of "people looking wacky", so unless the people in your image are really wacky or really different I would probably avoid that. I'd also personally love to see more photoshop work and other art work, but a good photograph will obviously get the job done.

I will say this, the game play involves making rules based somewhat on the images in the cards (cards that show people smiling, cards with animals, cards that show something that doesn't occur naturally, etc). So the more diverse the set of images we can provide the game, the better. I hope that helps clarify a little what we are looking for.

Thanks for the response.
Nate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dogberry wrote:
LordBobbio wrote:

Well, as I mentioned in the post the most important thing is that they are fun images that you own. Other than that, I would say that they need to be family friendly, and that's probably it. There is no set theme or style, because we want things that are all over the place. We currently have a lot of pictures of "people looking wacky", so unless the people in your image are really wacky or really different I would probably avoid that. I'd also personally love to see more photoshop work and other art work, but a good photograph will obviously get the job done.

I will say this, the game play involves making rules based somewhat on the images in the cards (cards that show people smiling, cards with animals, cards that show something that doesn't occur naturally, etc). So the more diverse the set of images we can provide the game, the better. I hope that helps clarify a little what we are looking for.

Thanks for the response.
Nate

I was able to access the link afterall... what wasn't clear on the site, is there a plan to pull the images together stylistically... for instance, to give a similar feel to a vector-based, flat drawing like a cartoon and a photo...? Hard to do, but possible. That might influence what folks submit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Beeler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordBobbio wrote:
I was able to access the link afterall... what wasn't clear on the site, is there a plan to pull the images together stylistically... for instance, to give a similar feel to a vector-based, flat drawing like a cartoon and a photo...? Hard to do, but possible. That might influence what folks submit.

Not to my knowledge, no. The idea is that each individual image and caption combination be fun, funny, or interesting to look at by itself, while having some element that a game rule could be hooked into (this will happen regardless). It really is wide open, and we're hoping for a random assortment of images and image types. That's what he had in the prototype, and it worked very well (using images that could only be used in a prototype).

It's quite simple - if you own an image, be it photo, artwork, or some digitally manipulated version of those, that you think would be fun to see on a professionally produced card game, then feel free to submit it (http://www.crookedsmiles.com/uploads). There is no limit on the number you can submit, so don't worry about having to choose between two or three that you're unsure of - just submit them all. My partner and I will look them over later and worry then about what will work and what won't.

Thanks again,
-N

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nathan,

Congrats to you and Dug!

The only thing that may be missing from the image submission requirement are model release forms for people appearing in the pictures. I know for stock photo submission we always need to include them... it might not be a bad idea of having something to the same effect.. that way you don't get a friend of a friend of a friend of the submitter going "Hey, that's me! What the heck?!" and then raising a fuss.

I know it will cut down on your submissions, but it might cover your butt down the road. Otherwise, keep us posted! It'd be great to see how some of the images you get will look on the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Beeler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Jeff. That's a very good point about model release forms, and I will bring it up with Dug, et al.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.