Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming Articles » Musings On

Subject: Game Hiding, Option 8 -- Rental Storage Space rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rental Storage Space
    This is a big step – your game-hiding now has a monthly fee attached to it, and is going to appear in checkbook entries or credit card bills. Although I said at the beginning of these posts that some of the strategies depend on money being no object, it should be immediately apparent to anyone reading this that the $50 fee to keep the rental space would likely buy two, maybe three good games at Games Surplus and so becomes a self-defeating use of your cash. But it has some solid advantages over the other methods listed here.

Pros:
1. Enough space for even 1000 games. Make the investment in some shelving to keep things organized.
2. Storage is in a climate controlled area.
3. Easily accessible.
4. With care, chance of discovery is very low.
5. You’ll likely meet other gamers there.
Cons:
1. Take precautions to keep six-legged visitors out. If it isn’t Hive, you don’t want bugs in the box.
2. Financial records could spill the beans on this one. Consider cash transactions.

Even a small rental space will provide you with a vast amount of area for your gaming supplies. It has the added advantage of being big enough for you to sit down and take care of other things too – painting miniatures, bagging pieces, creating iPod videos, etc. Essentially a spare room that is not connected to your house, rental space can prove very rewarding, but remember – no electricity available, so bring a cooler.
    It may be worth considering getting a larger space and using it for your game sessions themselves, as this eases up the load on whoever is currently hosting your games (and whoever’s spouse). At this point game access is pretty much just leaning back in your seat and pulling down whatever looks interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
This has a lot going for it. I bet the monthly fee is cheaper than the price of bookshelves and jewelry needed to store the games in your house.

I would think flooding is a bigger risk (and more damaging) than creepy crawlies...so no games and the ground.

And yes, cash is king.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum wrote:
This has a lot going for it. I bet the monthly fee is cheaper than the price of bookshelves and jewelry needed to store the games in your house.

Depends on the area (and the spouse, I suppose). Around here (Washington, DC) 5x10 storage units can go for upwards of $100/month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum wrote:
I would think flooding is a bigger risk (and more damaging) than creepy crawlies...so no games and the ground.

If flooding is at all an issue, then plastic containers are the only way to go. Hmm... perhaps even getting some 2 gallon zip lock bags, so each game could be sealed individually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention transportation costs to pick them up and drop them back.

Why not scan them and store them virtually? Sell the originals back on E-Bay and use the money raised to send your spouse out for a lovely night out alone. Whilst you secretly have your mates around for a game, he/ she can meet someone with a spine and shortly leave you.

Everyone's a winner

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmb
I've actually thought about this but my friends and I were going to take it a step further and rent an office in the old downtown area for about $300 a month. This would give us plenty of storage space and a great big area to play, a club if you will.

It would be air conditioned in the summer and we would have heat in the winter and all the light we could use.

The only problem is getting about 6 or 7 people to split the cost....and explaining to my wife why I am working late at the office two or three times a week.

Wife: where are you going honey?
Me: to the office!
Wife: I don't believe you! You're going to play games with your friends again!
Me: honestly honey, I'm going to the office.
Wife: Your lying, you're going to play games aren't you (stomps foot).
Me: No honey, umm, I'm uhh....allright , I give up, I'm having an affair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.