Paul Harrington
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's easy to learn but can be a lot of fun. I've given some strategy hints at:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1170530#1170530

but you need the rules for BSW play first.

There are six city blocks. Each block has nine squares in a 3 by 3 grid. You play buildings on these blocks.

You start with 24 buildings (11 1-story, 6 2-story, 4 3-story, 3 4-story.) You play 4 rounds with 6 buildings per round. (Note: there is a 'sixrounds' option where you can play 6 rounds with 4 buildings per round. More on that later.)

In each round, you choose six buildings to play by clicking them from the 24 in front of you. Each player chooses six in turn. Then, each player takes a turn playing a building on a grid space. There are two rules for placing buildings:

Rule 1: You may play a building on any empty space, but if somebody already has a building on a space, you may only play there if you can capture the building by having at least as many stories on that space as the person who owned it. You can always add stories to your own building although I wouldn't advise doing this.

For example, Steph, John, and Cobra are playing a 3 player game. Steph plays a 1 story building on a spot. Either player may take control of this building by playing any of their own building on that space (assuming that it also follows Rule 2.) John later plays a 3-story building on the same space. The building is now 4 stories high (everybody’s stories count.) Steph can reclaim this with a 2-story (or taller) building (giving her 3 to tie John’s 3) but Cobra needs a 3-story building to claim that space. Lets say that the next player to play on that space is Steph and she plays a 4-story building. This gives her 5 to John’s 3. John can claim this building with a 2-story building or taller but now Cobra can never get it because he is 5 behind on that space and the tallest building to be played in a turn is 4-stories.

Rule 2: You have four cards. Each card has one of the nine spots in a block on it (upper left, upper center, etc.) You can only play in a square if you have the corresponding card. For example, if one (or more) of your cards has a dot in the upper left hand corner, you can play in the upper-left hand corner of any of the six city blocks. When you use a card, it will be randomly replaced.

To play a piece, click one of the six pieces you chose for this round, then click the square on the grid on which it will be played.

At the end of each of the 4 rounds (after everybody has played 6 buildings,), each player gets:

1 point for each building they control
2 points for each block which they control more buildings than any other single player
3 points for controlling the tallest building in New York.

If there is a tie for tallest building or for the most buildings in a block, nobody scores it.

NOTE!!! I played for a month before I realized I was implementing the tallest building rule wrong. If the SAME player has two buildings tied for the tallest, he does NOT score tallest. One building must be an eyesore on the horizon all by itself to score these 3 points.

The highest score at the end of four rounds wins!

The score is displayed on the right of the six pieces you select for each round. It is displayed vertically! like:

for 12 points. That throws a lot of people until they figure it out.

You can tell where the last player just played, because the square last built on will be encased by a yellow square.

You can try Manhattan on BSW in the New York Dance Hall (room C138-21).

If there is anything unclear about these instructions, email me at paulhar@embarqmail.com and I will fix them.

Go forth and enjoy Manhattan!

p.s. the sixrounds option is desirable for 3 player games. It is an advantage to go last in any round, so if you play 6 rounds, everybody will get to go last twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.