Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Jensen
United States
Perry
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I finally plunged in and purchased Memoir'44 and am enjoying this card driven battle game. I pull in my 17-year old brother for a scenario because, as I told him, "I needed someone I can beat!" A previous scenario with my 8-year old Chance led to two defeats for me. So let's try the brother routine.

We set up Pointe-du-Hoc as this is the next scenario for me to try. Luke has played the Pegasus Bridge and Sword Beach scenarios previously and is stunned to see how few troops he gets to start with as the Axis player. I go through the whole 'unbalanced' theme to represent historical events and he just shakes his head. I reaffirm that we will both get a chance to be the underdogs. He lightens up a bit and is ready to go.

This turned out to be an interesting scenario. My Ranger Special Forces started to push towards the cliff while moving in to the left and middle sections to avoid the artillery barrage. Luke stay entrenched behind the sandbags and bunkers in anticipation of the rush. My initial prong of attack came in the middle section. This was to enable me to get out of artillery range as well as to make a sprint towards the forest and the medals hidden there. Luke held strong from his entrenched positions though. Three units made it to the top of the cliff only to have Retreat flags rolled to force them back down. Finally one Allied unit made it to the top of the cliff and stay there while only taking one unit of damage. On my next turn, that lone unit (now known as Alpha Ranger) was given the Behind Enemy Lines order which allowed a three space movement to attack and then move three more spaces. In one fell swoop I moved to attack the bunker and then moved into the safety of the forest and the waiting medal. From there Luke turned his Artillery to Alpha Ranger who then picked up the other medal. After another Artillery attack, Alpha Ranger was down to one unit who just happened to receive the Medic Order and recovered to full strength. "Nobody Left Behind" was evidently their motto. With full strength, they moved back to attack the bunker under a 'Direct from HQ' order and along with the other three orders routed the Axis forces with a 4-0 victory.

Licking his wounds, Luke was ready for a rematch as the numerically superior Allies. He started his assault moving up the beach and away from the artillery units. Rather than playing defensive, I decided to pull my one unit out of the sandbags between the right and center section and move them directly on to the cliff. This way I could start shooting right away and pull the Allied units together for a hopeful well used Close Combat attack and if nothing else funnel the middle section Allied troops into areas my Artillery could still hit. Luke lined up four units at the base of the cliff underneath my lone unit and was working to blow through on the next turn. Here is where I misplayed a card. I had pulled Air Power and was still a bit unsure of how to play it (first time I had gotten it). I had heard of it's game turning power and interpreted the card as taking 1 dice (Axis) for each hex (four in this situation) and rolling them together and then inflicting that damage on each of the individual hexs. Well, I rolled for three hits and with my interpretation, pretty much decimated half his force. He didn't argue with my interpretation of the card so we both just were awed by that power order. Luke's Allied forces are now of center and he has five out of six order cards that focus on his right section where he has no troops. I attack into the center section with artillery and the troops on the point move down to the beach for some direct combat with weakened Allied troops. Two turns of Direct from HQ orders for the Axis and the Allied forces are routed 4-2 without taking any of the objective medals.

Yes, later that night I got on the web and found out that we misplayed the Air Power order. So I've promised Luke a rematch with those sides in order to soothe his ego. He's quite funny because I believe he is becoming more of a Euro-game style player. He curses luck factor in games which of course Memoir'44 has tons of as a beginning player. Still, he's willing to try and play more so he hasn't started to throw out the Ameri-trash label yet!

All in all, a good session. A serious misinterpretation of a card in there but a fun session altogether!

Keep on gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This battle sounds somewhat epic, with the "Alpha Ranger." It is so fun when some unit, suddenly is vaulted into extreme hero-ism, and you can see how it unfolds right in front of you! Nice write-up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.