Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got this to the table recently, and it has a 3-4 turn learning curve for the first play. I noticed that if you play the same number on a chit more than most, it fills up a city fast. So, it was my idea that when these cities filled up, that I would rob them. I"m not sure of this method, because I could no longer go there if I needed to, but it didn't seem to bother me, since in a two-player game it isn't hard to find other cities to place offices on. Also, it allowed me to easily aquire the needed cubes for getting a second raid marker. Going first is tricky because the opponent(s) may see this as an opportunity to rob you. But only getting half the cubes from you may make them go elsewhere. But, since it is a big advantage to having a lot of cubes, I think robbing them would be better than robbing another city. What I want to know is how often in a game is the raids used. In mine, I used both. They are quite powerful, so I would think finding the right time in a game would be nearly essential to a win. For a 3+ player game I'm not sure if it is needed as much, but the 2-player, it was the winning move for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Also, it allowed me to easily aquire the needed cubes for getting a second raid marker.

Getting a second raid marker requires three identical harbor markers, not three identical cubes, so getting your third raid marker is not so easy. But an early raid can make it possible to get a bonus marker (those take six identical cubes) early, and those are really valuable. The one game I've played, I raided quite early (turn 2 or turn 3), ending the turn with 11 orange cubes, got a bonus tile the next turn, and went on to win the game. But this was a three-player game, and each player was afraid that if they raided me, the third player would make even better use of their raid tile later in the game.

In a two-player game, if you raid, and your opponent then raids on his next turn, then after both raids have taken place, he will have at least as many cubes as you, and probably more, since he will have some cubes just before the raid. So I think the only effective way to make the first raid in a two-player game is to raid when you are the second player, make sure you win the auction to go first next turn, and then spend a lot of your cubes (buying a bonus tile, and possibly an office as well) on that turn, before your opponent has the opportunity to raid back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.