Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Just saw The Prestige yesterday. It is definitely one of the best non-drama movies I've seen. The complicated plot notwithstanding, the story was presented in a clear, lucid, and engaging way. The twists and turns in the plot were actually very intriguing and clever (as opposed to confusing and lame, as is the case with many other flicks of this sort). Very entertaining and very well done.

To those who've watched it, what are your opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nairb Attobas
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed it, although I wasn't terribly satisfied by some of the twists at the end, and I've not been able to pinpoint why. The more obvious one I saw coming from quite a bit away, although it did not manifest itself in the way that I had been expecting. In fact, the way in which it *did* appear turned out to be so odd, it was sort of jarring.

For the other twist, I was half expecting *something* but not sure what. When it happened, my reaction was more, "Ah, that makes sense" instead of being totally shocked.

So, yeah, I enjoyed the flick, thought it was well made, but something about it just nettled me slightly. I guess the 'payoff' just didn't satisfy me the way I'd expected. Or something.

I must say I love watching two guys who hate each other trying to be the King of Spite. arrrh

Being that I was attempting to be vague, so as not to give spoilers, I have no idea how readable/clear this actually was...

I guess I could have used spoiler tags... zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex

Québec
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tought it was very enjoyable and clever, although...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I guessed that Christian Bale had a twin about halfway into the movie, which spoiled the fun a little...

Now we just need a Batman vs Wolverine!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I figured out what Angier had to do for his tesla machine performance before it was "officially revealed" in the movie.

The dead bird trick was a foreshadow.

Borden's secret for The Transported Man, however, took me by surprise. Though it explained lots of things, because there were lots of hints/foreshadowings. Also, the secret made Borden less of an asshole.

He didn't know which knot he tied. "Some days you mean it, some days you don't." His caring so much about his ingeneur. etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only read the book. The book is great, but from what I read there are some significant differences (although the basic plot is the same).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
The movie is based off a book? I didn't know there was a book...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The wife and and both really enjoyed it. I liked the way the story was told with virtually the last scene of the movie starting it off and then jumping around from the past and present. I was sitting there thinking that it reminded me a lot of the movie "Memento" which made even more sense after I realized that the same director did both.

I though that it was clever that:

You wanted/suspected Borden's character to really have some "real" magic working with his version of the trick, but Michael Caine deliver's the line "It's got to be a double - it's the only way!" early on and of course it's true - it wasn't a double, but a TWIN.

Then, When Angier's version of the trick is revealed at the end, you are kind of taken aback as the exact thing you had suspected/hoped for earlier turns out to be true - yet not how you thought it should.

One more twist I would have enjoyed:

Another Angier steps out of the shadows after Michael Caine gets Borden's Daughter back to him.

I definately need to see it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Another Angier steps out of the shadows after Michael Caine gets Borden's Daughter back to him.

What?! Are you sure about that? I didn't catch it. Is it in the same scene or another one afterwards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
drunkenKOALA wrote:
The movie is based off a book? I didn't know there was a book...

Yes, the book was written by Christopher Priest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drunkenKOALA wrote:

What?! Are you sure about that? I didn't catch it. Is it in the same scene or another one afterwards?

No, that wasn't IN the movie, I was just saying that would have been one more nice twist they could have added.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rowe
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the book before seeing the film, and Nolan & Co. did a fabulous job translating the spirit of Priest's plot elements. This rates as one of the rare times I enjoyed both the written and visual interpretation of the same source material.

Actually, the film--while missing a few elements from the novel that might have made the "secrets" more compelling--managed to tighten up some sloppy elements present in the book's narrative.

E.g. missing from Nolan's film is the book's investigative storyline into Borden's past, used to convince us that he is *not* a twin; dropping the modern-day descendants' stories streamlines the flow.

Cheers,

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rowe
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PS: I get a serious kick out of David Bowie's film performances, and his take on Tesla is fab.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
This rates as one of the rare times I enjoyed both the written and visual interpretation of the same source material.

Yeah usually movies based off good novels (Count of Monte Cristo, Da Vinci Code, Pride and Prejudice, and others I don't recall) are rather disappointing.

Conversely:

Raising the Red Lantern is one of my favorite movies, but I have yet to read the novel it is based on.

Crouching Tiger is my favorite movie, but the novel was just so so.

The only other work that I enjoyed both the novel and the film is The Godfather. Though I prefered the film marginally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw this last night myself. I liked it a lot! Some of the twists I saw coming a mile away, but I have to say

the twins twist

I didn't see at all, although as others pointed out the foreshadowing was smacking me right in the face. That's one reason why I liked it so much. I'm prone to overthink a movie while watching it and ruin most of the surprises at the end, probably one reason I love Lynch movies because I'll never figure everything out. laugh

Bowie was great as Tesla, and I loved that Tesla was well represented and I hope it might get a few more people curious about his amazing work although I'm sure they'll be dissapointed to find out he didn't invent

a transporter/cloning machine... or did he?

Finally, as another said I was kinda hoping that there was some

real magic to Borden's trick
but I'm happy on how it turned out still.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
By the way does anyone know how Angier does his bird trick, the one where he has to put on a metallic vest? Is the bird supposed to fly out from the cage with hands put on all 6 sides of the cages? How does he do that, or does the movie not specify?

And Borden's bullet trick. The bullet never gets shot right? He holds another bullet in his hand/sleeve?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex

Québec
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the bullet trick: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet_catch

Quote:
a magician by the name of Coullew of Lorraine had been successfully performing the bullet catch, demonstrating that he could catch bullets in his hand. Ironically, this early performer was clubbed to death with his own gun by an angry assistant in 1613.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.