Subject: Battle System rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Payne
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
I was wondering what the battle system would be like. I always wanted a pirate game like this one but I invisioned it having a fast yet tactical battle system that allows for player decsisions durring battles. I asked the same thing of Mr. Burg about Blackbeard and his game does not have one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tisander wrote:
I was wondering what the battle system would be like. I always wanted a pirate game like this one but I invisioned it having a fast yet tactical battle system that allows for player decsisions durring battles. I asked the same thing of Mr. Burg about Blackbeard and his game does not have one.

Hi William, thanks for your interest.

Battle surely has a tactical element. Your ship has hit counters, and you yourself need to decide if you will board, flee or shoot - all based on what you think will give you the best odds of coming out alive

When you shoot you can choose to shoot your cannons, and roll randomly where the your hits get applied (hull, masts, crew etc) or you can use your special ammunition. Using special ammunition greatly reduces your chances of hitting, however if you hit you do not roll randomly but hit Crew if Grape shots were used and Masts if Chain shots were used.

In addition to this you have Action Cards you can play at the right moment to give you the needed advantage.
So while the game is dice based and does feature luck there is no doubt that your decisions can mean the difference between survival and Davy Jones locker.

I don’t know if that’s what you meant by tactical, but that’s how it works. I will provide a PDF combat example soon.

If you or anyone else have any questions, just fire away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Payne
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Sounds cool. It needs to be quick for downtime reasons, I understand that.

If you choose to board, does it automaticaly happen, or can the other ship evade?

Is there an advantage to the ship with the weather gauge at the start of the fight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tisander wrote:
Sounds cool. It needs to be quick for downtime reasons, I understand that.

If you choose to board, does it automaticaly happen, or can the other ship evade?

Is there an advantage to the ship with the weather gauge at the start of the fight?

When you attempt to board the two captains roll an a opposed Navigation check. The captain attempting to board must succeed have the most successes for boarding to occur.

Likewise weather gauge is simulated by the two captains finding out who are first with an opposed navigation roll. In addition to this Action Cards can be played such at the beginning of combat to ensure being first such as "Fog"

So winddirection and weather gauge is handled more abstracty.

Originally we had a battle map with hexes you could move your ship around. This was thrown away - although fun in itself it seemed like another game.

keep em' comingarrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Payne
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
I cant believe how close this is to a game me and my friends were talking about making. I'll be looking forward to this one.

We thought a battle board would be cool as well, but never accually tried to make the system. We like the 'game within the game' battle systems in some of our other games, such as 'Napoleon in Europe', but downtime does become an issue.

Sounds like you found a happy medium. Better than just comparing a number and rolling in my opinion.

Can a player find a mutiny on his hands? I know Captain Kidd may not have been a pirate if it wasnt for the rascals he sailed with.

Billy

Edit- One of the other professions we wanted to include in our games was that of the Explorer. But the more we thought about it, the more it felt like that would be a game in itself. Still would be cool though, although I'm not sure how much exploring was going on at the time your game takes place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tisander wrote:
I cant believe how close this is to a game me and my friends were talking about making. I'll be looking forward to this one.

Thats great to hear

Quote:
Sounds like you found a happy medium. Better than just comparing a number and rolling in my opinion.

Yeah, I agree. But to be fair I guess it depends on what you are trying to do with your game, and what your target audience.

Quote:
Can a player find a mutiny on his hands?

Yes he can - as an Event Card

Regarding downtime in general. Their is virtually no downtime in the game. Let me give you an example.

4 players are playing the game. Player 'A' sails North, 'B' and 'C' enter port while 'D' looks for merchant ships to rob. D finds a merchant. So while 'B' and 'C' do their port actions (buying, selling, asking for rumors) 'A' controls the merchant ship 'D' found. So everyone is activated. I hope it made sense, in spite of all the A, B, C and D stuff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do battles only occur with one ship vs. one ship, or can two players fleets get in larger battles? Do ships travel solitarily or do they travel in fleets? Thanks! The game looks toooo awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Feige
United States
Centreville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marqzen wrote:

4 players are playing the game. Player 'A' sails North, 'B' and 'C' enter port while 'D' looks for merchant ships to rob. D finds a merchant. So while 'B' and 'C' do their port actions (buying, selling, asking for rumors) 'A' controls the merchant ship 'D' found. So everyone is activated. I hope it made sense, in spite of all the A, B, C and D stuff

Sounds like it could get pretty chaotic! lol Are there any mechanisms that keep order as people are all taking care of their tasks?

I could see losing grasp of what others are really doing. Having not played yet (obviously) perhaps I'm thinking of this incorrectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi... Sorry I missed these questions.

There is some order: First the players scouting, then those moving, and lastly those in port. But my advise and assumption is that once people are accustomed with the game they will agree upon carrying things out simultaneously to minimize downtime. But if it gets too chaotic for some groups they can just take it easy. To slow things down even more you can just assign some random order people doing the same action can carry them out. So if both you and I are in a port we can just agree that first you will do your port actions and then me. It has no consequence unless we both are in the same port.

But it shouldn't be a problem after a while.

Quote:
Do battles only occur with one ship vs. one ship, or can two players fleets get in larger battles? Do ships travel solitarily or do they travel in fleets? Thanks! The game looks toooo awesome!

Players control one ship. However their are rules for two r more players sailing together as a "wolf pack". But one of the things we had to ditch was the option to command a fleet. This would have prevented the customization of each individual ship - and this was a feature we wanted to keep!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.