Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Betzel
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Conquest of the Empire but I have read through the rules. I've also been reading up on Struggle of Empires and am trying to decide which game to pick up. That said, this isn't a SoE vs. CoE thread

The senate voting in the game sounds very interesting but I'm a little confused on its exact purpose. I understand that you buy the senate card and then it is up to you to call the vote. As the owner, why would you ever call a vote on it unless you knew you would win it? I can't imagine you'd ever want to give someone else that advantage. Unless there are situations where it might help you out if someone else gets the advantage so they could pound on someone else.

If someone could maybe give me an idea of how the senate tends to play out that would help a lot. Does the owner typically win the vote? When do you (as a senate card owner) tend to call the senate? It doesn't appear that alliances come into play at all in the senate voting but am I mistaken?

Thanks in advance. The game certainly does look like a lot of fun, I just want to get a better idea on how some of these mechanics play out before diving in on a purchase

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Once several Senate Vote cards are owned by you, there is a very interesting strategy where you would call a vote on something that would be an advantage if won, but your true goal is to burn off senator cards from your opponents so that you could win a later vote that you want more. The order of calling the votes becomes important.

Also, If you have the majority in Rome, you gain one of the spent senator cards on any vote. You might therefore, call a series of votes that would deplete your opponents ability to win later votes while increasing your stash of Senators.

The Senate sub-game is very interesting and gives the game even more "Roman" theme.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Betzel
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, thanks for the response! I think I'll be picking up a copy in the near future

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own this game, but haven't had a chance to play the CotE II rules yet (hopefully in the VERY near future...)

I, too, am intrigued by the Senate dynamic, but it is difficult to determine just how it actually "plays out".

In addition to the previous comment, I imagine it's also beneficial to own a Sentate card that you won't ever be able to win the vote for, and hold onto it without ever playing it - doesn't that "tie up" a valuable prize, and prevent someone else from claiming it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.