Patha
United States
Bay area
California
flag msg tools
mb
So i've been reading about how everyone had such a great time at the BGG.con... my question is one of a newbie... what is (prepare for a doozie of a question) a "CON"??? (insert gasp here) blush

It sounds like a really fun gathering of the BGG masses who play games 'till the sun don't shine, but i guess my question is, how is a "con" different from, say, an "expo", or a "gaming show"??? I mean, is it like a "flower show" or a "home and garden show" but for games? Can up-and-coming releases of games or even some of the oldies be bought there? Or is is just a giant venue to PLAYYYYYYYY???! thanks for the info!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a convention.

It has a some up and coming and some play. All convetions vary the formula and empahsis, but that's basically it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay T Leone
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol, after reading this, I followed with a "Lame". Some people just want too much attention... sigh.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Avatar
Re: This thread is sure to be followed by gasps and "OMG's".
Con stands for convention. Many of the big ones (Gencon, origins) have an expo feel and it's much more than boardgames. BGG.con is more how you describe in your last sentences (or so I think, I didn't get to go). Just a big party where everyone want to play games. It's likely the newest games will be there because the game companies want exposure and the gamers want to try the newest games, but new games aren't all that gets played by a long shot.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barnes
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Re: This thread is sure to be followed by gasps and "OMG's".
Quote:
what is (prepare for a doozie of a question) a "CON"??? (insert gasp here)


Send me a geekmail with your credit card number and expiration date and I'll send you the secret information about what a "Con" is. It's the best kept secret in boardgaming, if you want to be "elite" you will have to know.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barnes
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Re: This thread is sure to be followed by gasps and "OMG's".
But no, seriously...cons are like a Home and Garden show for gaming except there's very few women and no barns.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
All conventions are different, but BGG.CON is mostly an excuse to take a few days off to play a ton of games with people from BGG! Since BGG.CON follows on the heels of Essen, you usually see the newest Essen releases getting a lot of attention, but pretty much EVERYTHING gets played at the con. Just find a game you want to play, hold it up in the air while yelling, and you can usually round up a group in a few minutes.

There is also a demo/vendor area where a few game companies are pimping their newest relases, so you can always run in and buy a game if you ended up liking something.

Other events included a treasure/puzzle hunt which involved solving about a billion tanga-like puzzles and running around the hotel looking for stuff, a poker tournament, a Family Fued style-game show, and lots of prize giveaways.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nairb Attobas
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: This thread is sure to be followed by gasps and "OMG's".
pathagobi wrote:
So i've been reading about how everyone had such a great time at the BGG.con... my question is one of a newbie... what is (prepare for a doozie of a question) a "CON"??? (insert gasp here) blush

It sounds like a really fun gathering of the BGG masses who play games 'till the sun don't shine, but i guess my question is, how is a "con" different from, say, an "expo", or a "gaming show"??? I mean, is it like a "flower show" or a "home and garden show" but for games? Can up-and-coming releases of games or even some of the oldies be bought there? Or is is just a giant venue to PLAYYYYYYYY???! thanks for the info!


*gasp*

OMG!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Re: This thread is sure to be followed by gasps and "OMG's".
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
... but pretty much EVERYTHING gets played at the con. Just find a game you want to play, hold it up in the air while yelling, and you can usually round up a group in a few minutes.


Though I didn't do any yelling, it was fairly easy to round up a full compliment of players just by walking around with the box and asking players if they would be interested. Rounded up a full compliment for McMulti, Big Boss, Silk Road, and Code 777 that way.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: This thread is sure to be followed by gasps and "OMG's".
skelebone wrote:
Rounded up a full compliment for McMulti, Big Boss, Silk Road, and Code 777 that way.


It is hard to believe you got people to join you to play three out of print, grail games.

I would have jumped at the chance.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: This thread is sure to be followed by gasps and "OMG's".
Mr Barnes.

That is a picture of MES isn't it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: This thread is sure to be followed by gasps and "OMG's".
crackedlcd81 wrote:
But no, seriously...cons are like a Home and Garden show for gaming except there's very few women and no barns.

There are Dancin Duckings though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barnes
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Re: This thread is sure to be followed by gasps and "OMG's".
Quote:
Mr Barnes.

That is a picture of MES isn't it?


Of course it is. He's my muse.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barnes
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Re: This thread is sure to be followed by gasps and "OMG's".
Quote:
There are Dancin Duckings though.




Here we see an example of a typical Con attendee.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: This thread is sure to be followed by gasps and "OMG's".
Pssst...Mike...he send you that credit-card number yet? Pass it around...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: This thread is sure to be followed by gasps and "OMG's".
He is the man, that's for sure.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barnes
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Re: This thread is sure to be followed by gasps and "OMG's".
Yeah, he did...it's Gigantical Megamundous Corporation Federal Antichrist Bank account # 43897493874. Exp. 13/32/2009. Hurry up and write it down.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Re: This thread is sure to be followed by gasps and "OMG's".
Spielguy wrote:
skelebone wrote:
Rounded up a full compliment for McMulti, Big Boss, Silk Road, and Code 777 that way.


It is hard to believe you got people to join you to play three out of print, grail games.

I would have jumped at the chance.

You would be surprised -- I offered Code 777 around to a number of people who said "I don't want to play a brain burner"... and though I did get a full compliment for McMulti, I did also start it at 12:30 a.m., so there were fewer takers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: This thread is sure to be followed by gasps and "OMG's".
skelebone wrote:
Though I didn't do any yelling


True enough... you saved the yelling for when your number was narrowly missed during the prize draw!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
crackedlcd81 wrote:
But no, seriously...cons are like a Home and Garden show for gaming except there's very few women and no barns.


Unless they are playing New England.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.