Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To Aldie and everyone else involved with running BGG.CON: I will add my extremely great thanks to you all for all of the time and effort put into a very successful convention. I certainly hope you're finding this to be rewarding enough to continue, because I would consider it a great loss if it didn't.

My one piece of constructive feedback is to suggest that we consider doing whatever might be possible to get a food and drink concession of some type up on the 5th floor with us. My ideal would be to at least have some sort of cold soda, coffee, and simple snack (chips and candy) vending up there as close to full time as possible, and then bring in full catering at meal times. I would expect to pay for this, of course, but trying to get something to eat when you wanted it turned out to be way harder than I remembered from 2005 (unless you want McDonald's for every meal). I can't believe how that mall rolls up the sidewalks on weekends!

If you've been to WBC, they do a pretty good job of setting up a decent, relatively inexpensive catering table for each meal, which makes it really fast and easy to grab a bit between (or during) games. (I'm sure it's just provided by the hotel.) I assume you've probably looked into this, and there's probably a good reason why we can't do it, but in case you've just de-prioritized the idea, please accept my vote for re-opening the discussion!

On an entirely other topic - Did anyone else by any chance eat at "Texas Land and Cattle Steakhouse" (on Lemmon Ave, I think)? It was unequivocably the worst restaurant experience of my life. I'm interested to hear if we just got absurdly unlucky, or if it's always that way....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
oooh...meals in the gaming rooms? I'd want that to be a rarity.

As for snacks/candy, I didn't expect there to be anything provided, so I brought a huge bag of Jolly Ranchers, a $10 Willy Wonka assortment, a couple boxes of Mike & Ikes and Hot Tamales, a big ol' bag of Twizzlers, etc., and just left them on a table each night for everyone to share.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
The "best" deal I could get for food was $15 for a sandwich/chips. Im pretty sure we would have only sold 1 or 2 copies.

This is definitely an issue for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
The "best" deal I could get for food was $15 for a sandwich/chips. Im pretty sure we would have only sold 1 or 2 copies.

You might have had fun at the playtest, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rodriguez
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
I'll second that it would be very cool if at least sodas were available somehow - chips and other junk food would be nice as well. I was ok with eating downstairs and ording pizza.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have been satisfied with one accessible coke machine.(with mt. dew)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil Upchurch
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Texas Land and Cattle is the worst steakhouse, it's not just you or this experience. I feel really sorry if you had their "famous" roasted sirloin, which tastes like it's rubbed on a cow's ass before they "sear in the flavor."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Moore
United States
Webster Groves
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Wil_Upchurch wrote:
Texas Land and Cattle is the worst steakhouse, it's not just you or this experience. I feel really sorry if you had their "famous" roasted sirloin, which tastes like it's rubbed on a cow's ass before they "sear in the flavor."

But I like the flavor of cow ass!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Childish Trickster
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Down along the creek, I remember something
mbmbmbmbmb
...and what was that nasty red soda about?

It said on the label, "Serve with fish or cow's ass."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davek wrote:
...and what was that nasty red soda about?

Haha! That was my friend Brandon's soda. He bought it for his own personal use because it was on sale. After one sip, this is what he thought:

[IMG]http://[/IMG]

So rather than throw it away, he put it across from the water table. It took a day or two until it all disappeared. Frankly, I'm surprised anyone drank one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
LOL

As someone who's been hornswaggled by this Southern concoction called 'red soda,' I understand perfectly. Who the hell drinks this stuff?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff morales
United States
Near Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Lets Eat!
badge
I also live
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:

This is definitely an issue for us.

Is this due to some sort of catering restrictions with the convention center? If there is no restrictions, Im sure you could strike a deal with a local vendor to offer some snacks. Heck, I might even load up the car at Sams and offer up some snacks for sale at the next BGG con.

-jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yea, the food concept is a mixed bag. i didnt want to leave the con for food...but it was probably best i did. typically myself and two/three other gamers left the con for a good 2 hours once each day/night to grab a bite to eat.

we had no issues taking the train two or three stops and getting a good meal at a sit down restaurant. i thought that this was totally acceptable. i was often able to return refreshed and in good spirits(typically until a good 2-3 in the mornin ;-)

i honestly thought it a little tacky for people to be eating cheeseSteaks in the gaming room. i dunno, maybe b/c i was starved and wafting smells of cheeseSteak had my stomache eating itself...but i would almost rather people not eat at the tables...it's kind of an invatation for disaster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Childish Trickster
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Down along the creek, I remember something
mbmbmbmbmb
Although in dire need I ate some Chinese while playing MR, I tend to agree. I was uncomfortable about doing it, and won't in the future.

During the Game Show (we came in 6th!), eating was not so bad, except it was so dark I missed my mouth a couple times. The sandwich would have been tastier washed down with bourbon, too.

I chatted with the very nice Philly Cheese family. They were happy to stay open late, said it was well worth their time, and they knew quite a bit about the Con.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had reasonable luck with Chinese restaurant in the food court last year, since they were the only ones open past about 5:00 even on Friday (!). I was happy that the cheesesteak place stayed open later this year, and ate there several times.

My usual con approach is to bring along some cold cuts, cheese, and buns, and make a sandwich or two during the off hours. As long as there's a fridge in the room it works out pretty well (I have to empty out the minibar at the Westin, but it seems to work OK). It's hardly gourmet, but I've always been of the "eat to live" persuasion anyway. I didn't go outside the hotel/conference center the entire con and didn't miss it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Moore
United States
Webster Groves
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ceej wrote:
(I have to empty out the minibar at the Westin, but it seems to work OK).

Hey, we were gonna do that at GenCon, but were told that if you remove anything from the minibar fridge, even if you put it back, they would charge you for it. I'm wondering - how would they know? But that's beside the point... did they charge you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the food situation was about the only thing I would have changed about the con. McD's got old, and the limited serving times were frustrating -- most evenings we had to put a game on hold to sprint to the food court to grab something before all the restaurants closed. I know we could have gone elsewhere, but we couldn't pull ourselves away from that beautiful 1000+ game library to waste time finding food. The worst thing, though, was that even water was hard to come by after about 11 pm.

I imagine it depends on the hotel. On the opposite end of the spectrum, the Doubletree in Charlottesville, VA, where PrezCon is held, does a fabulous job with food. I don't think they usually have breakfast food in the gaming area, but the hotel restaurant buffet will put you together a bagel with cream cheese for a couple of bucks. Then they sell lunch, dinner, and (yay) hot midnight snacks in the hall right next to the main game room. Most people are good about eating on the tables in the hall, which are open for gaming when they're not serving food. It's not the most memorable food in the world, but for less than $10 you get a soda, a decent sandwich/taco/hamburger/whatever, and chips, and you can hop right back into the next game. There aren't any snack machines, but there are soda machines, and the hotel staff are really good about refilling the ice water (which they keep in those gigantic plastic cooler buckets with spigots -- much easier to deal with than pitchers). We usually end up grabbing one or two meals outside just for some variety, or if we miss the meal times, but it wouldn't be a hardship to eat the con food the whole time. I'm sure the hotel doesn't do poorly on the deal either!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.