Hide
13 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Individual card questions thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Ynot
msg tools
I figured that a strategy question about a single card shouldn't need its own thread, so I made a thread where all single card questions can be posted. Simple questions simple answers (where possible).

So my question is what is so great about Successful Demonstration? Doesn't it just get stuck in your hand earning you no creds? Are there really no better options for HB (like Green Level Clearance, PAD Campaign)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
United States
Boston
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is bad of earning 5 credits with one single click??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's certainly more situational than (for example) Hedge Fund or Beanstalk Royalties.

That said, in rush decks where you're likely to have the runner faceplant and bounce off cheap EtR ICE, it's both a low hurdle to get over at only 2 credits, and a good injection of credits (+5) for one click.

Certainly it stops being useful late-game, but for early game rushing, it's nice. Remember, even if the Runner gets a successful run in the same turn, as long as they make at least one UNsuccessful run, you can play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/914288/nr-microchat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Krystian Majewski
Germany
flag msg tools
Game Designer, host of TeamworkCast
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weighs in on one of his iconic cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lttlefoot wrote:
I figured that a strategy question about a single card shouldn't need its own thread

I believe you underestimate us sir
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bobberson
msg tools
I used to play an HB Glacier deck that ran 3 Successful Demos instead of the usual 3 Adonis. So my econ was 3 Eve, 3 Hedge, 3 Demo, 2 Restructure. I liked the Demos over Adonis because they let me bounce back from early aggression so fast.

My ice set up was a little different though. I splashed 2 Data Raven and 2 Closed Accounts. I also didn't play any big ice besides Tollbooth.

Adonis is probably better in HB because it can enable an early rope a dope game through an Eli, but successful demo let me protect my first Eve better and get to scoring a bit faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys I have a lot of questions - I just picked up the game, so they're all about Shaper/Jinteki Cards.

On the Corp side, what's the deal with "Cell Portal"?
Does the Corp have to derez it on every run? What about if it's the only piece of Ice?

For Icebreakers like "Gordian Blade", can the runner spend multiple credits to increase the strength? As in, can your icebreaker's abilities be stacked?

And what's the deal with Crypsis? I don't understand quite how you would use it.

Sorry, I know I'm noobin' out, but I'd really like to play *correctly* and eventually get into the deck-building part...Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigf00t159 wrote:
Guys I have a lot of questions - I just picked up the game, so they're all about Shaper/Jinteki Cards.

On the Corp side, what's the deal with "Cell Portal"?
Does the Corp have to derez it on every run? What about if it's the only piece of Ice?

For Icebreakers like "Gordian Blade", can the runner spend multiple credits to increase the strength? As in, can your icebreaker's abilities be stacked?

And what's the deal with Crypsis? I don't understand quite how you would use it.

Sorry, I know I'm noobin' out, but I'd really like to play *correctly* and eventually get into the deck-building part...Thanks
1. Cell Portal derezes itself when its subroutine fires. Every time, yes. The corp would need to pay to re-rez it every time the runner encounters it. Of course, if there are no other ICE in front of it, that would be a waste of credits. Ideally, you pair Cell Portal with a highly taxing ICE like Komainu, and every time you rez Cell Portal, if the runner doesn't break it, he's forced back. He'll likely jack out, of course, if he can't break the Cell Portal, but he might not, if he can break/survive your other ICE and he doesn't think you're able or willing to rez Cell Portal again. But yes, Cell Portal is useless on its own. Note that, if the subroutine is broken, it does not activate, and Cell Portal remains rezzed. This means the runner has to face it every time he break its subroutine, and that's not usually cheap to do.

2. Yes, paid abilities can be used any number of times, as long as you can pay for it, and if there are no special restrictions. If, for example, you encounter Cell Portal, a Strength-7 Code Gate, you can pay 5 credits to pump Gordian Blade up to Strength-7, then pay one more credit to break the subroutine. Normally, icebreakers only retain their strength for the current piece of ICE and revert to normal strength for the next piece, but Gordian Blade's special ability allows it to retain its enhanced strength for the remainder of the run, potentially making it cheaper to break future code gates.

3. Crypsis can break any subroutine on any ICE (with one exception), so as a drawback, you need to invest in placing "Virus Counters" on it. You can place as many as you like, using multiple clicks, but be warned that a corp might purge virus counters and you'll lose all that progress. After you pass a piece of ICE where you used Crypsis to break one or more subroutines, you must either remove a virus counter, or trash Crypsis. This means that it hurts your overall click-economy compared to a standard icebreaker, but it's extremely versatile.

Anything still unclear?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Novacat wrote:

Of course, if there are no other ICE in front of it, that would be a waste of credits.

Right, because the Corp would be paying to Rez it, just to have it Derez due to the subroutine as soon as it's approached?

I think your replies really helped, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bigf00t159 wrote:
Novacat wrote:

Of course, if there are no other ICE in front of it, that would be a waste of credits.

Right, because the Corp would be paying to Rez it, just to have it Derez due to the subroutine as soon as it's approached?

I think your replies really helped, thank you!

Being a pedant, but terminology is really important in the timing structures.

It derezzes when the subroutine resolves, not when the ICE is approached. Your understanding of the problem with Cell Portal as solo ICE is correct though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so just so I get the terms right -
What would it look/sound like for a runner approaching this ice with another ice in front of it?
Or what would it look if it was approached by itself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigf00t159 wrote:
Ok, so just so I get the terms right -
What would it look/sound like for a runner approaching this ice with another ice in front of it?
Or what would it look if it was approached by itself?
Let's say I'm the runner, and you're the corp.

Me: "I'm running on your remote."
You: "OK, I'm rezzing Neural Katana for 4."
Me: "Alright, with my Creeper, it'll cost 1 to pump, and 2 to break. Of course I'll pay 3 to avoid 3 damage." [I think for a moment about my total available funds, and what your second piece of ICE could be.] "OK, I'm not jacking out. Moving on."
You: "OK, then I'll rez Cell Portal for 5."
Me: "Hrm... It'll cost me 6 to break it with Gordian Blade, which I don't have. I guess I'm approaching Neural Katana again."
[You derez Cell Portal.]
Me: "Hmm, you have enough credits to rez Cell Portal again, but I only have enough to break Neural Katana once. I think I'll jack out at this point and save my money."
You: "Good choice." [Commence evil laughter.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls