Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Connor Alexander
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys. Looking for a copy of this game. Checked PlayMe and they were out of stock. Anyone know a place that will ship to US and is reasonably priced?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to search engine http://www.boardgameseeker.com/

...no where in the US yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you need it for Christmas or something, you can just wait a few months and it'll be everywhere. There will be an English version from Mayfair (early 2007, if I recall correctly). There is quite a bit of text on the cards, in fact, so that will also save you from having to refer to translation sheets throughout the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam Spielt http://www.adam-spielt.de/ is probably your best bet if you want it within a few weeks. Airmail shipping with them will probably equal their cost for the game but you can get it pretty quick.

Otherwise it will be released in English early next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's RUMORED to be released next year by Mayfair. But there's not a word about this on their website. Or their news site. Or any mention on boardgamenews.com's Gone Cardboard list. So please don't be disappointed if it doesn't happen that fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend making your own copy (I have), waiting until it comes out in English, or playing it on BSW after dowloading the English patch. There is simply alot of German and various symbols on the card -- similar to say the first German Alea edition of Princes of Florence which became a real pain in the a-- looking up the translation on the cards such that I obtained a copy of English cards and eventually got the entire game in English and the original German one now gathers dust. Of course, back then it was almost a 9-month wait whereas, for this one, it could only be about half that time, assuming Mayfair comes reasonably close to the targeted release date. (They were a month late with Leonardo, so beware.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Weber wrote:
There is simply alot of German and various symbols on the card -- similar to say the first German Alea edition of Princes of Florence which became a real pain in the a--

Not true. The are 5-6 times more information in PoF and a lot of that information is supposed to be secret until you play the card.

There is no secret info in Säule der Erde: 4 cards with a line of text in each of the 6 rounds plus a 4 Craftsmen each round and these will have the same symbols in the English version, only their titles will be different.

That is not to say one shouldn't wait for the English edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cauet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:

There is no secret info in Säule der Erde: 4 cards with a line of text in each of the 6 rounds plus a 4 Craftsmen each round and these will have the same symbols in the English version, only their titles will be different.

Just a small point: you have secret info if you own the power "Look at the event card at the beginning of your turn". I agree it's not THAT important (and far from the secret info of PoF) and the game is easily playable by non-german.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osidarta wrote:
Just a small point: you have secret info if you own the power "Look at the event card at the beginning of your turn". I agree it's not THAT important (and far from the secret info of PoF) and the game is easily playable by non-german.

True. I forgot about that one since it has only occured once in my games (and I was not the one who got it.)

I agree that this can probably cause problems for some - although they can at least discern bad from good events due to the red seal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cauet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:

I agree that this can probably cause problems for some - although they can at least discern bad from good events due to the red seal.

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Alexander
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys.

Thanks for all of the help. I put in an order to Adam Spielt, look forward to trying the game out.

I've looked over all of the German components and it doesn't bother me. After a few plays I'll probably only be referencing the translations one or two times a game. It would be nice to have an English version, but I've got half a dozen games on my want list (Including things like Marvel Heroes, To Court A King, etc) that I've been waiting on for months since their supposed release date, and I didn't feel like adding another game to the 'mystery release date' list.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mik, I had a devil of a time figuring out what the German on the cards meant when this game first appeared on BSW a few weeks ago and I assume the cards there mirror what you see in the real-life game. It was particuarly annoying that three of the advantage cards had the exact same text but then you needed to interpret the symbols which the person I was playing with (whose English was limited) was unable to do. But that's OK because the English patch finally worked so the cards appear with an English translation now. I frankly cannot recommend this game to anyone without the English cards -- and I will wait until it comes out next year, hoping the Mayfair product does this for me. I don't care how beautiful a game is if I can't figure out what everything is supposed to mean -- my friends will simply not play it. A friend of mine who went to Essen and didn't buy it there (where the exchange rate was probably alot better deal) thought the very same thing -- great game, but wait for it to come out in English.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Weber wrote:
Mik, I had a devil of a time figuring out what the German on the cards meant when this game first appeared on BSW a few weeks ago and I assume the cards there mirror what you see in the real-life game. It was particuarly annoying that three of the advantage cards had the exact same text but then you needed to interpret the symbols which the person I was playing with (whose English was limited) was unable to do.

The symbols will be exactly the same in the English version. And it does not matter what the title of the craftsman is. Whether he is a Bricklayer or a Zizmophyte will his actions still be the same.

Playing a game without without proper instructions is always risky. But I have never advocated buying a game to which you cannot get rules in English.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Weber wrote:
Mik, I had a devil of a time figuring out what the German on the cards meant when this game first appeared on BSW a few weeks ago and I assume the cards there mirror what you see in the real-life game.

There is some 'flavour' text on the cards in addition to the action description. And the action description itself is more detailed.

Quote:
It was particuarly annoying that three of the advantage cards had the exact same text but then you needed to interpret the symbols which the person I was playing with (whose English was limited) was unable to do.

There are no cards with the same text in the game. I assume you're talking about:
In beliebiger Runde Ereignisschutz
In beliebiger Runde Steuerfreiheit
In beliebiger Runde ein Baumeister kostenlos

If your interface trunctates the text (due to screen resolution?), an english version won't necessary be better; you could still see 3 different cards with the text "In a round of your choice". But fortunately for you, the translaters moved "in einer beliebigen Runde" to the end of the text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had no problems playing the German version of the game. TBH, the new "Settlers of Rome" thing is harder to play in German than dSdE. As Mik says, virtually every card is "open", and there's a player aid card here on BGG which summarises them all in just a handful of words.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Alexander
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
German version I ordered from adamspeilt was delivered on Saturday. I made little 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" translated printouts on card stock to keep by the side of the board and place on top of cards as they are revealed, though I'm already remembering about half of them. So far with the small 'tokens' acting as player aids, I've had no difficulty at all. If they are sorted properly at the beginning of the game it adds maybe 1-2 minutes to the overall playing time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.