Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Best trade EVER!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Constantine von Hoffman
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave some damn game I literally haven't played in the 23 years since I bought it and I got back A SET OF GENUINE MONGOLIAN KNUCKLEBONES!!!



Yeah, yeah. there's a game of some sort behind them, but who cares about that? I have knucklebones! And, oddly enough, they arrived on the same day as the new issue of ... wait for it ... Knucklebones. How much of a geek am I that a set of dried out bones and a little knucklebone bag with a yurt sewn into it made my day. Do I belong here, or what?

Now to find out how to use them. Better yet, to use them in a game of Settlers. Or Heroscape. It's not a dice fest, it's a KNUCKLEBONE FEST!!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teacher Fletcher
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh.... what?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantine von Hoffman
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Knucklebones. Forerunner of a little thing called dice.

See description here: Knucklebones

And you call yourself a geek. HAH!

Yurt: Round, felt tent still used on the steppes of Mongolia.

BTW, does "Bathtub Hoax" refer to the great Mencken essay on the subject or something else?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice! So is there some gamer in Mongolia with a 23-year-old game?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
BTW, does "Bathtub Hoax" refer to the great Mencken essay on the subject or something else?


The Mencken essay.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alfredhw wrote:
Very nice! So is there some gamer in Mongolia with a 23-year-old game?

And no knuckles.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teacher Fletcher
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cvonh wrote:
Knucklebones. Forerunner of a little thing called dice.

See description here: Knucklebones

And you call yourself a geek. HAH!

Yurt: Round, felt tent still used on the steppes of Mongolia.

BTW, does "Bathtub Hoax" refer to the great Mencken essay on the subject or something else?


Oh, okay. Cool. For a minute I thought you had actually bought human knucklebones.

Learn something new every day.

And yeah, I took my nick from the Mencken stunt. You're the first on BGG to have asked.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dammit, Constantine, I have been trying to get that sonofab***h in a math trade for like four months!!!!!

(Devil's Horsemen, I mean.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantine von Hoffman
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Should have offered him Knight Hawks


Sadly I looked at your trade list and there's nothing there for me. But if you have anything on my list and want to trade lemme know.

Man that bathtub hoax thing is obscure even to me and I'm a Mencken nut.


Quote:
As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teacher Fletcher
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cvonh wrote:
Should have offered him Knight Hawks


Sadly I looked at your trade list and there's nothing there for me. But if you have anything on my list and want to trade lemme know.

Man that bathtub hoax thing is obscure even to me and I'm a Mencken nut.


Quote:
As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.



Here's a Wikipedia link about the Bathtub Hoax: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_hoax

Great quote you put there. My favorite is "Nobody ever went broke by underestimating the intelligence of the American public."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoff, this was the DTP version of the game by BSO games. I'd had it on my trade list for a long time; everyone seemed to want the classier republication of the game.

Glad you like the knucklebones, Constantine. I aim to please.

Ralph Leighton runs The Tuva Trader (http://www.scs-intl.com/trader/), I got my first set of kazhyk (Tuvan term for sheep knucklebones, they are also called assyk (Kazakh), chuko (Kyrgyz), shaghi (Mongolia), and alchik (Russian)) there. None in stock right now, though. He also wrote a pamphlet called "Kazhyk!" full of rules etc. for playing games and telling fortunes with them, but I don't have it and can't find it.

Rules for some games are here, as well as a link to a method of getting some knucklebones for free, or almost free, if you are on good terms with your butcher (and so you should be; haven't you seen Delicatessen ?).

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.