Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally received my copy of Battle Stations! Battle Stations!, and upon first reading, I'm pretty disappointed. Some of the rules seem unrealistic, and there are a few typos that confused me during my first reading. I was also disappointed by the included counters. Decision Games' website shows counters with side views of aircraft, but none of these counters are included in the game. Overall, I felt like there was so much missing from the rules. I had high hopes for this game, and that was probably my downfall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Derderian
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
I suggest you read the rules and play a small battle. I beleive you will find them easy to play and more realistic than you think.

The web site does show planes but explains that those will be available in a later module.

I have tried many naval rules, but these are by far the easiest (besides War at Sea - which is more a board game with miniatures).

The rules take into consideration all the different components of naval warfare without complex rules and heavy math calculations. The rules take into consideration the same concepts as the more complex games, but battle resolution is streamline and much simpler to implement.

The real beauty of the game is that there is no record keeping on ship data sheets, instead all the data is contained within a few tables and charts, so large battles can be handled easily. The more complex games only allow you to control from 1-4 ships as it would be too time consuming and too complex to handle more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rderderian wrote:

The web site does show planes but explains that those will be available in a later module.

I think they added that little note some time after I had purchased the rules.

Anyway, the issue is academic. I traded the rules away for another game. I already have at least 3 sets of World War II naval minis rules. Battle Stations Battle Stations just wasn't my cup of tea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mako Z
msg tools
I was fortunate enough to play a large battle with the rules author, who ran a game to teach us his system.

Each side had a relatively large force in play, with a mix of units.

I thought it worked out very well, and the game was resolved fairly quickly and realistically (which is rare for most naval games with large numbers of vessels in play), so I suggest giving them a try, if you have the chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.