BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: A game Similar to Plague & Pestilence rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Judy C

Washington
msg tools
Hi all!

My husband played a card game called Plague and Pestilence at a friend's place several years ago and loved it. He has been trying to get a copy eversince, but seems like the game will never be printed again. Can anyone suggest a game that is similar to P&P? Here are a list of characteristics that he likes about that game:
1. It's a stragedy game that is easy to learn
2. It has a luck component (dice rolling, etc)
3. it's a card game (easy to carry to a friend's place)

I have been looking around online for possible choices. Right now seems Nuclear War and Guillotine are close to what he's looking for. What do yal think of those two games and what else can yal suggest? Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well for one, don't give up on getting Plague & Pestilence. People sell used games all the time - and in fact I just sold my own copy to a Board Game Geek user.

Based on liking that game, you should consider:

Bang (if you play with 6 - 8 players)
Family Business
Colossal Arena (a little more complicated, but a good game)
Iliad (more complicated)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Nuclear War and Guillotine are great choices. I bought Guillotine and P&P when they came out. I have gotten lots of play out of both of them. P&P can be a two player but it shines when you have 3+ because you can start wars between other players and stay out of the whole mess. Guillotine plays better with fewer players though. Guillotine always managed to draw in non-gamers for me and there is a certain twisted joy in killing off all the Disney-like characters on the cards! I would recommend Guillotine as your first alternative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The next game from the same folks
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/646
is pretty similar and probably still available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a proud owner of Plague and Pestillence. I got it because my wife liked it. It tooke me a long time to find one, and I ended up spending a bit more on it than I would have liked to, but I have it now

Anyway, it is basically a take that game. My current favorite other take that game is Kung Fu Fighting by Slugfest Games. I would definitely reccomend that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy C

Washington
msg tools
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I'll definitely go check out those games next time I am in a board game store (which will be soon most likely )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
piggi wrote:
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I'll definitely go check out those games next time I am in a board game store (which will be soon most likely )

You might have trouble finding Kung Fu Fighting in your FLGS as the publisher is pretty small, but they should be able to order it in at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.