Popular Tags: [View All]
Lindy Castro
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it happened. They delayed their release of Tide of Iron until 2007! Well, better late than never I say.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/productsrelease.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds about par for the Fantasy Flight course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
surpriseshake

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, this will help my checkbook out. Between all the expansions they are releasing, and Battlelore, I was going to be spending a lot before Christmas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
So they had no big box releases this year, and it looks like no new game for Xmas.
That's gotta hurt the bottom line a bit!

Not necessarily.

Marvel Heroes is set to hit the US late Nov/early Dec.

They had quite a few smaller releases this year:
Drakon
Citadel (rerelease)
Great Wall of China
Mag Blast 3rd Ed
WoW expansion
Arkham Horror Exp
Runebound Exps
Game of Throne Exp
Descent Exp

That probably helped them out a little bit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of expansions and re-releases ... not many new games. Perhaps more attention is going on film-making ...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UniversalHead wrote:
Lots of expansions and re-releases ... not many new games. Perhaps more attention is going on film-making ...?

Oh, I had forgotten about *that* movie venture. Hope it's going ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:

That's really a nexus game, not an inhouse design.
I doubt the movie is causing the delay, since they have a lot "in the pipeline" that just didn't see release this year. Originally I'm pretty sure they were planing 3 "coffin box" releases this year:
Tide of Iron
Reign of Power
Starcraft

When they announced the 3 HUGE box release earlier in the year, I don't think anyone really expected them to be released on time.

I'm still waiting for the Faidutti Silver Line space game!

I know that Marvel heroes is Nexus but FFG is in charge of the english editing and printing so there you go. If that's the case, I forgot to add the WotR expansion too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
United States
San Ramon
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
shawn_low wrote:
I'm still waiting for the Faidutti Silver Line space game!

Argo? That one sounds really cool. I hope it makes it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Sharp
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just wish FF would give us something to get us through the holidays. Even a one paragraph preview with one pic of a figure would help.

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it seems they're experimenting with the 'make it all a surprise' promotional technique. Personally I prefer the promotional approach that has been taken with BattleLore - the anticipation around that game is now at fever pitch!

Then again, now Tide of Iron has been delayed we may see a lot more promotion next January.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UniversalHead wrote:
Personally I prefer the promotional approach that has been taken with BattleLore - the anticipation around that game is now at fever pitch!

The thing about such promotion is that a failure to deliver the game will just as quickly deflate all enthusiasm. Tempus is one game that suffered this fate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sellers
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UniversalHead wrote:
BattleLore - the anticipation around that game is now at fever pitch!

Maybe that’s the reason why we have heard so little lately. The game is supposedly “at the printer” based on the FFG upcoming game page, so I assume they could give us all the details if they wanted. Unfortunately with Battlelore being so anticipated, maybe they are waiting for the right time to say “look at me” and get full attention as opposed to sharing & fighting for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Waits
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UniversalHead wrote:
Tempus is one game that suffered this fate.

I don't think it was the "earliness" of the hype, it was that the hype was wrong. A few over-eager people, maybe playtesters (IIRC), said it was the next great Civ Lite, etc., etc. and it wasn't.

Still, I agree that even good (accurate) hype, followed by non-delivery, is just about worthless.

--Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
VT: VERMONT
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Anticipation of Starcraft got me to give Warcraft TBG another shot and I've actually warmed up to that thing. But anyway, I'm happy that more time is being spent on Starcraft. Hopefully with the purpose of solid play-testing. At the very least, I'll have a "kit" to build my own Starcraft game... (but I'd rather not).

Sorry that this post has nothing to do with Tide of Iron.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kind of wondered if they would make the end of the year date with their dilema on using minatures in the game. Since there were none showed at the conventions, I would think it would take time to aquire a source for the injection molders and get prototypes approved and production running. I am assuming, of course, that minatures will be part of the game....if not...then I am TOTALLY OFF!!!!

Don't know about Starcraft...but I was sure I have read in more than one place....including FFG website that Reign Of Power is 2008...and we all know that FFG is not one to roll a game out BEFORE their estimate!!!

I, for one, don't mind waiting until Jan 2007. As long as its playtested EXTESIVELY and polished.....should be a REAL winner!!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos O.
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if we´ll see the awfuly threacherous evil commies in the game or shall I wait for an expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard D
Canada
Bonnyville
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Illuminatus wrote:
Does anyone know if we´ll see the awfuly threacherous evil commies in the game or shall I wait for an expansion?

That will surely be one of their $50.00 "expansions!"
Americans & Germans only in the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems a bit strange that FFG hasn't got anything 'big and new' (ie not an expansion or revamp) out for Xmas, doesn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another friend of mine has wondered out-loud about that, too. That and there's a big $5 sale on what I'm guessing are slow movers. Could be they're clearing some idle inventory and banking on reprints of established titles and their expansions this holiday season?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos O.
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The TI3 expansion is anounced for December. It´s not a stand alone but I´m head over heels for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard D
Canada
Bonnyville
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The serious lack of info. on this game on the web is puzzling! However, if you download and listen to this mp3 interview, Christian Petersen does talk about it in quite a bit of detail.

The Dice Tower: Episode 69 - Interview with Christian Petersen

Page:
http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comment...

mp3 download link:
http://www.boardgamenewsfiles.com/thedicetower/TDT069-TheDic...

The interview with C.P. starts around the 22-23 minute mark of the program. At one point he mentions "Stalingrad" in the context of possible future expansions. Enjoy if you haven't already listened to this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.