Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: humor [+] humoUr [+] [View All]
Shellie Rose
United States
Vernon
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus' series on hiding games has been a delight. Thank you. However, most of his ideas work best if your significant other is female. If you need to hide games from a guy, here's three options:

1. Put them in with all the other games.
He can't even find ketchup in the fridge. Do you really think he can find a new game amongst all the rest?

2. Put them in with all the other games.
He can't even remember his own mother's birthday. Do you really think he can remember which games you already own?

3. Put them in with all the other games.
Remember when you cut and dyed your hair and he didn't notice for three days. Do you really think he is going to notice a new game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sherwood
United States
Arundel
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So true.

True story -- One game night, a woman baked a cake for a male gamer (Mark). She arrived early and asked "Where can I hide the cake where Mark won't find it?"

She answered her own question: "I'll just put it right here in plain sight -- he'll never see it here."

Sure enough, it worked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't carry this stereotype so far as to include an entire gender, but some people will not notice insignificant details like "spouse's haircut" or "birthday cake on table" and will forget trivia such as "their mother's birthday" or "their own name", but when it comes to an obsession (in this case boardgames), the smallest detail out of place (such as a new game) will be noticed immediately. Proceed at your own risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Hey, did you cut your...OMG CAKE!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Two words:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Bathroom cabinets

That's all I'm saying

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwen
Belgium
oost-vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ubarose wrote:

1. Put them in with all the other games.

This actually could work, if the gamecloset in the livingroom weren't already full. I had to start stacking the boxes on top of the closet, and now it's very visible each time a new game is added. The space between boxes and ceiling is getting smaller each time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha maybe true. I have no idea what the date is but I know every game in my collection and where it belongs on the shelf. Everything outside of the game collection... is admittedly a little murky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless the game is a magazine game, a card game, or if you stick it inside another games, I can guarantee that I would be able to spot an extra game in my collection within 72 hours. Oh, and with the exception of light bulbs and children, I have a general idea where everything is in my house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
melissa wrote:
Two words:

Bathroom cabinets

That's all I'm saying

I don't think I've looked in our bathroom cabinet in months.....Wonder if anything exciting is in there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    My wife has fifty pounds of quilting material on a shelf in our living room, and I will confess that I would never notice if she bought 15 yards of a new fabric -- even if she left it on top.

This is the "obscurity not security" strategy that works remarkably well against someone with only 45 X-shaped chromosomes.

But I think I would have picked out the cake.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ubarose wrote:
... If you need to hide games from a guy, here's three options:

1. Put them in with all the other games...

Hiding card games with the:

tampons 'n maxipads

works well too. He never, EVER looks closely at those packages! Goes along with Melissa's idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
"Hey, did you cut your...OMG CAKE!"

That's pretty much how it went, yah. And it was my birthday, too. Not a day or week or whatnot from my birthday, it was the actual day. Naturally I never saw the cake right in front of me.

Of course, there are times that I simply gaze at all my games, so hiding a new game there wouldn't work. How much of a real gamer is your SO, ubarose? Hiding it among other games may not work. I'm with Mike; put it on the kitchen counter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hladik
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other good spots would be anywhere close to a laundry basket or the laudry soap, the dirty clothes hamper, in the dishwasher, next to the trash can, if you have really small children; the baby's changing table, etc... I know I stay far away from these things laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
HI have no idea what the date is ...

Wow, I thought that was just me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff wrote:
dkearns wrote:
HI have no idea what the date is ...

Wow, I thought that was just me!

I always have to look at my phone or computer to check. If I had no electronics to tell me what the date is, I'd probably almost never know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hogan
United States
zimmerman
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I was thinking about what would happen if someone put a game in with my other ones and I don't think it would work. Why you might ask. Well he might not notice your hair, or your nails, but does he notice when you moved something he placed somewhere and was going to get back to it in a couple days? I do. He might notice a game out of place. Heck I see the new color and I'd need to investigate. I'll admit I never go into my wife's drawer in the bathroom, or her cabinet. Theres just nothing there for me. Towels, unless I need one who goes in there, just keep it full. Although all men are different so who knows. Yours might be a valid suggestion for some, everyone can be duped...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
The key to the treasure is the treasure.
I'd notice a new game I wanted on my game shelf in 15 seconds flat. If you want to hide a game from most men, try hiding it in a woman's clothes closet. To most men, that's the most boring place in the house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenna Sunderlin
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, of course you guys would all notice a new game, but how many of you would be upset if your wife bought one in the first place? This general strategy of hiding in plain site has worked well for me for years. As long as I don't put it somewhere that my husband will be sitting, most new games go unnoticed until I pull them out to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sisk
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hang on a minute, I just have to...

(checks bathroom cabinets)

(checks drawer full of feminine products)

...dang.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Carpenter
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, yes, I can hide the games. Now how do I hide the credit card bills and debit withdrawals on our bank statment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I cut my wife's hair myself so I always notice it.

Fortunately I AM a qualified hairdresser and not just some stingy penny-pinching husband...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.