Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've heard others say, the Quest for Davy Jones' Gold box set is not compatible with the Pirates CSG series (Spanish Main, Crimson Coast, Revolution, Barbary Coast, South China Seas, Davy Jones' Curse).

I can't tell you if having two sets of Quest for Davy Jones' Gold is worth the money.

If you want to get into Pirates, I recommend the Pirates of the Revolution set, which is my favorite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crimson Coast and Revolution are my favorites, with Revolution being top. I'd suggest spending an extra little bit and getting 1 pack of each and going from there.

Also i have some spare ships if you're interested

Erik

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The beauty of the game is you can really jump in with any set, so as the others have stated, it's more of a matter of preference than anything else.

Although if you can find any packs from the South China Sea I recommend getting them if they're still regularly priced. That set is somewhat of a rarity, and the ships are pretty fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume that you were talking about the boxed version of the Pirates game, not the new boardgame version. It's a pretty good bargain, but when I start a new player, I always get him or her one regular set of each expansion...that's 5 now, a $25.00 investment. I think two boxed sets would give you a lot of options, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevan sumner
Canada
Brandon
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Join us in June for Manitoba's longest-running game convention! www.prairiecon.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One cautionary note if you're thinking about buying booster packs from different sets. They've introduced a new nation or type of pirates with each set, and some are unique to a single set. If, like the group I play with, you prefer to play games where each player represents a different nation, you may want to avoid certain sets. There are some handy spreadsheets that can be downloaded off BGG, but here it is in a nutshell, in the order that the sets came out:

Pirates of the Spanish Main - English, Spanish, Pirates
Pirates of the Crimson Coast - English, Spanish, Pirates, French
Pirates of the Revolution - English, Spanish, Pirates, French, USA
Pirates of the Barbary Coast - English, Spanish, French, USA, Barbary Corsairs
Pirates of the South China Seas - English, Spanish, Pirates, French, USA, Jade Rebellion
Pirates of Davy Jones' Curse - English, Spanish, Pirates, French, USA, The Cursed
Pirates of the Mysterious Islands - English, Spanish, Pirates, French, USA, Mercenaries

Generally, sets are weighted towards new nations. For example, there are more French ships/crew than English, Spanish, or Pirate in Crimson Coast, and there are many more Barbary Corsairs than other ships in Barbary Coast. From my own experience (I have a good-sized Corsair fleet), I would recommend avoiding South China Seas, Barbary Coast, and Davy Jones' Curse if you are a new player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.