Subject: Three Rings boardgame rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mitch Burgess
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
Dp
This here is a site for a boardgame I have invented. Check it out and tell me what you think, that site for Three Rings is www.freewebs.com/threeringsgame hope yeh enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Reading your recent posts has been like dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.
mbmbmbmbmb
Awwww. I clicked on this thread expecting a board game from Three Rings Design (http://www.threerings.net/), makers of Puzzle Pirates (http://www.puzzlepirates.com). Would have gone nicely with my homemade card game simulating their old, lost Drinking puzzle game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Toups
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unnecessary music + animation = me leaving before even looking at the game.

Sorry...just the basics of web design...you've driven at least one person away with it.
-Zach

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally derailing the thread, someone about a year ago DID make a boardgame of the old drinking game that they have. Unfortunately they couldn't replicate the random drinking peices enough as they couldn't replicate the replace and redraw chance of getting the same piece over and over if I remember correctly. I think that person went underneath the persona of Robert Donald in the YPP world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kraft
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toupsz wrote:
Unnecessary music + animation = me leaving before even looking at the game.

Sorry...just the basics of web design...you've driven at least one person away with it.
-Zach

Make it two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Burgess
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
Im not sure I get what you are saying. You Know of a drinking game that is similar to Three Rings. Please explain...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Burgess
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
shakeIts difficult to get people to try new games. Only recently I discovred 9 man morris, and I have to act like a vacum salesman working overtime to expain to most people what the rules are. "wanna try it just one time? cmon..." Anyway I put a picture of what the Three Rings gameboard looks like on the Three Rings homeshake page, hoping it shall entice people to ask, what is this? Who knew such trite little details of the webpage (the imagery can be clicked away, the sound can be turned off; it takes 2 SECONDS to do that) would prove to be insufferable...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Reading your recent posts has been like dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ree_ wrote:
Im not sure I get what you are saying. You Know of a drinking game that is similar to Three Rings. Please explain...

Not much more to explain than what's in my previous post. There is a computer game company called Three Rings, they run an online computer game called Puzzle Pirates (both of which I linked to) that itself had a mini-game simulating (in their puzzle-themed world) a drinking competition.

Absolutely nothing to do with your game, not even remotely.

About your Website, yes, it is not hard for people to get past annoying animations and sound. But with such things that many people find annoyances, you are not giving them any reason to go forward and not, instead, to go back.

Good luck with your game design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Toups
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup...the trouble is that you really have to give people a compelling reason to stick around. The board isn't that enticing, just a black and white sketch, and the sound and butterflies are (a) completely unreleated to what you're trying to share and (b) invasive and obnoxious. Indeed, I was working on some stuff, listening to internet radio when I clicked the link, and suddenly, my musical experience was ruined. My first thought was NOT, indeed, to scroll down to the bottom of the page to turn it off, but just to go back, and never return.

The trouble with a lot of websites is that people don't realize that just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you should. It may seem small to you, but your site literally disrupts the life of people who go to visit it...and you don't want people's first impressions of the site to be "man, this is annoying", you want "man, this looks pretty cool".

Good luck.
-Zach

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Burgess
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
booned wrote:
Ree_ wrote:

Not much more to explain than what's in my previous post. There is a computer game company called Three Rings, they run an online computer game called Puzzle Pirates (both of which I linked to) that itself had a mini-game simulating (in their puzzle-themed world) a drinking competition.

Absolutely nothing to do with your game, not even remotely.

About your Website, yes, it is not hard for people to get past annoying animations and sound. But with such things that many people find annoyances, you are not giving them any reason to go forward and not, instead, to go back.

Good luck with your game design.

Thank you for clearing up my confusion. Not long after I made my game and started tinkering on the internet, I came across the company called Three Rings. Fortunatly that was thier companies name, and not a game of theirs, otherwise I would have been up the creek without a paddle, because there is no other name for my new game that would have fit the bill as nicely, for me at least. You also think the extra features of animation and sound would annoy many people when checking out a website? I've a lot to learn about good webpage design it seems!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Small quibble with your rules. A 4-seided die will give the numbers 1-4 with equal probability. Your 3 coins gives different probabilities for the outcomes:

1: 3 in 8
2: 3 in 8
3: 1 in 8
4: 1 in 8

If you want equal probabilities, you need two coins, one of them with 1 & 2 pips, the other with 2 & 0 pips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Burgess
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
toupsz wrote:
Yup...the trouble is that you really have to give people a compelling reason to stick around. The board isn't that enticing, just a black and white sketch, and the sound and butterflies are (a) completely unreleated to what you're trying to share and (b) invasive and obnoxious. Indeed, I was working on some stuff, listening to internet radio when I clicked the link, and suddenly, my musical experience was ruined. My first thought was NOT, indeed, to scroll down to the bottom of the page to turn it off, but just to go back, and never return.

The trouble with a lot of websites is that people don't realize that just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you should. It may seem small to you, but your site literally disrupts the life of people who go to visit it...and you don't want people's first impressions of the site to be "man, this is annoying", you want "man, this looks pretty cool".

Good luck.
-Zach

You definatly have some valid points there.I do appreciate sound reasoning, especialy if it will help my website to be more palatable!The board I have for Three Rings is quite simple, that is what compelled me when I had my first vision of it. I like iconic boards such as 9 man morris, or Picaria, or Alquerque; something that could be scrawled down on the sidewalk with chalk, or with a pen and paper but also works great if made into a high end game board, or a reasonably price board, or what not. The game itself if short and simple and I hope that is part of its charm. Something friends can particapate in quick, when they have a leisure moment to spare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Burgess
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mrraow wrote:
Small quibble with your rules. A 4-seided die will give the numbers 1-4 with equal probability. Your 3 coins gives different probabilities for the outcomes:

1: 3 in 8
2: 3 in 8
3: 1 in 8
4: 1 in 8

If you want equal probabilities, you need two coins, one of them with 1 & 2 pips, the other with 2 & 0 pips.

Thank ya for the information. If Three Rings was manufactured by a company, a four sided die would be the gaming piece included for movement. I added coins to the officail rules of Three Rings because, I liked the fact that if people had to improvice pieces in order to play the game, they could grab a pocket full of change and make do with that. Both odds, I find, work well with the game. I hope the butterflies didn't piss you off!laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.