United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
Cult of the Golden Lurker
badge
Mugwump of the Golden Lurkers
mbmbmbmbmb
After months of waiting for RGG to release Antike and then another month or so of waiting for a chance to play it, I finally got to break in my copy. The game is impressive. Double-sided board and about half a forest of wood pieces and 10 minute rule book organized in a logical manner. One of my black phalanxes is a mutant, but so was the guy playing black so it was kind of appropriate.

The unusual suspects of the game: Mark (BGGer m_hamburg), Dobbs (BGGer spankboy), Perry (regular gamer), Ziggy (non-gamer friend), Buddy (non-gamer friend) and myself.

We sat down and sorted out the "over 400 wooden pieces" and I dealt out the civilizations based on where everyone was sitting on the Mediterranean map. We then realized that I used the wrong set of cards and dealt out the right ones. Dobbs was first as the Carthaginians, then Buddy as the Germanic Tribes, Mark Romans, me Greeks, Perry Phoenicians and Ziggy Arabs. We all looked at the Rondel. Dobbs choose Iron and the game was off. Buddy chooses Gold. Then a question came up as to how to "colonize" and the rest of us took Arming.

We followed the classic land grab that was associated with civ type games. Soon it became apparent that there was only so much land to go around, especially on eastern side of the board. Dobbs, Buddy and Mark all had enough to live on, but Perry, Ziggy and I were all fighting to find room. Ziggy's attempt to find room prompted the first attack of the game against one of my cities. Mark and Dobbs responded with a huge military build up. About this time Buddy points out that the game is really about the cards and shouldn't we all have some for having more than five cities.

Perry continues a huge military build up to which I can only do two things: build up myself or try and be tricky. I take the latter and start building temples capturing cards for three temples first and destroying a temple when Ziggy was forced to retreat. The light bulb comes on in Mark's head about this time and he starts looking at goals like Seven Seas and Temples and Number of Cities. Soon he is crushing my empire to loot my temples and he quickly pulls ahead.

Buddy spent the game amassing a fortune, but overplayed the wait and strike late of the game and was a non-factor other than causing us uneasy feelings when we looked to his end of the table. He starts hitting technologies for cards, but too little too late.

Mark coasts to a good victory at seven cards; I am in second with five, Buddy four, Dobbs and Perry three and Ziggy two.

I am very happy with this game in my collection, but I would not play with six on the Mediterranean map again. I have heard that the Arabia map is better with six. Since our regular game days usually have only four or five, this one should hit the table on a fairly regular basis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamburg
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good session report; glad your recorded this one for posterity.

I greatly enjoyed this game, and not just because I won. IMHO, Antike was worth the wait and it takes the "Civilization in under three hours" prize.

Like the classic Avalon Hill game, it's really important to remember your real goals in this game. Holding and/or taking territory is fine, because it helps you reach your goal, but if you focus on territory to the exclusion of other goals, you'll be hosed. That's why you had as many cards as Perry and Zig combined, despite the fact that they were beating up on you.

One thing I really like about this game is how your empire ebbs and flows. Once you have your empire established, the best stratagy appears to be grabbing quick victory points where you can find them. In that way, it kind of reminds me of Tigris & Euphrates. So, if you have nine cities, attack your neighbor and grab a 10th to get a card. So much the better if you sack a temple in the process (to get two cards at once). After that, let your neighbors attack you around the edges, it doesn't matter. If you see an opportunity, buy a new tech to get a card. In the end, it's all about the cards.

I think that Zig kind of missed this in his war with you. He seemed to think that I was targeting him because I was hostile; in fact, I just did the military buildup to attack him where he was weak so that I could grab another city (and get to 10). I was also doing it because I was frustrated with Perry refusing to attack Zig's exposed back and focusing on you. He could have crushed Zig from behind, but he was too concerned with you to do it. I thought that Zig needed someone applying pressure on him to keep him from getting too powerful. IMHO, this is not a game for lasting alliances or grudges- you do what you have to do when the opportunity presents itself, and assume that other players will do the same. I suppose that's true of many multi-player games with diplomacy aspects, but I think it's even more true here.

Like you, I wouldn't play this with six again on the Mediterranian map. Greece might have a chance if it's played aggressively against noobs, but it would be hard to do well in that position against experienced players. Given what you had, I thought you played a great game.

I think that this is a wonderful game and am looking forward to many more plays. The Rondel system is very cool- Imperial has moved up on my want list!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
m_hamburg wrote:
Like you, I wouldn't play this with six again on the Mediterranian map. Greece might have a chance if it's played aggressively against noobs, but it would be hard to do well in that position against experienced players. Given what you had, I thought you played a great game.

I have won more games with Greece in a 6 player game than with any other country. It is no more difficult than the other countries and in some ways it is actually an easier country to play; it just needs a different and more adaptive approach. Antike is an efficiency game. Negotiate early, negotiate often, and use your central position and investments to encourage your neighbors into less efficient paths than you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.