Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Boote
United Kingdom
Virginia Water
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
.. has ANYONE found a strategy to beat cash/VP/Kirche/Dom, ignore the Purple column completely?

We practiced it extensively, then it was played in the competition, and as far as I can find out only one player who went heavily into purple won

My competition game is a startling example of what I mean
First turn, 1200 cash up to 8VP (two wins) +8VP
Second Turn, 4 VP Wappen & church (one win) +12VP
Third turn, up to 12VP and 5VP 'Recht (one win) +21VP
Fourth Turn, back up to 1200 cash, & Dom (one win) +13VP (lost the 8 & 12 VP card)
Fifth Turn, back up to to 8 VP and then to 12 VP (one win) +21VP
Sixth turn, 500 cash, back up to 12 VP (one win) +21 VP
Seventh turn, +2 VP (instead of cash) back up to 12 VP (one win) +23VP

Final score 119VP

and that seems to be the case in a lot of games I've played

Is there any alternative tactic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, that is the strategy to use.
Problem is when everybody else is using the same strategy - then it doesn't work quite so well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boote
United Kingdom
Virginia Water
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it just comes down to luck who's got the longest run of or highest number in the Red cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisboote wrote:
So it just comes down to luck who's got the longest run of or highest number in the Red cards?

By red do you mean Philipp? And if so, why? Do you feel that winning the first auction is more advantageous than winning the later ones? I would have thought that the later auctions have their own advantage in that one doesn't have to worry as much about other players stealing just-won step tiles later in the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisboote wrote:

I think that what it means is that you have to time your auction wins and adapt your strategy to what everyone else is doing. You have to pay attention to your opponents and not just play solitaire.

If everyone is trying to follow the same track then no one will be able to pull it off successfully because of the shortages. This means that you will have to time steals and figure out when the proper time to use the purple track comes around. Also, winning an auction defensively to deny others the use of the actions becomes viable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far in every game the player who adhered closely to purple track was the player who won. Card advantage is nice. Sometimes the cards are against you, and having that extra freebie doesn't hurt at all, especially for the last guy in the row who takes any cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maik Hennebach
Germany
Frankfurt
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Chrisboote wrote:
.. has ANYONE found a strategy to beat cash/VP/Kirche/Dom, ignore the Purple column completely?

We practiced it extensively, then it was played in the competition, and as far as I can find out only one player who went heavily into purple won

My competition game is a startling example of what I mean

Hi Chris,
generally I'd say that the importance of the orange (VP) track relative to the yellow and purple (cash and cards) tracks mainly depends on the average number of cards bid on a privilege. With high bids, cards will become a scarce and more valuable commodity, especially since you want to avoid being blank in one of the card colours, and it's going to make quite a difference whether you can take your pick from 4, 5 or 6 cards.

With that general remark out of the way, let's have a look at your competition game. Thanks for including such a detailed round-by-round breakdown of the game, by the way - it's really helpful when discussing strategy. My gut feeling is that this is more of a startling example of playing a game against folks who are fast asleep, and here's why:

Quote:
First turn, 1200 cash up to 8VP (two wins) +8VP

Seven turns means that you were five players, and nevertheless you managed to get two out of five privileges here, which means that somebody did not get anything at all. Which also means that you should have paid at least three cards for that second privilege, but obviously did not have to, because:

Quote:
Second Turn, 4 VP Wappen & church (one win) +12VP

How is this possible? How could the others players let this happen and not completely trounce you in later rounds? I'll try to how why this leaves me wondering what was going on:

Usually you'll be starting the game with two wild cards, five or six other cards and around 100 ducats. Let's assume that the other players were extremely lenient and you got your two auction wins for a total of four cards. This leaves you with a maximum of four cards and roughly 1400 cash at the end of the first turn.

In round two, you had to pay 900 ducats for the church, unless somebody was a total dunce and bought one before you in spite of your lead in victory points. So there was no way you could afford more than two new cards, and still were able to snag one win with a measly hand of six cards. Shouldn't have happened, wouldn't have happened with competent adversaries. And it gets worse:

Quote:
Third turn, up to 12VP and 5VP 'Recht (one win) +21VP
Fourth Turn, back up to 1200 cash, & Dom (one win) +13VP (lost the 8 & 12 VP card)
Fifth Turn, back up to to 8 VP and then to 12 VP (one win) +21VP
Sixth turn, 500 cash, back up to 12 VP (one win) +21 VP
Seventh turn, +2 VP (instead of cash) back up to 12 VP (one win) +23VP

Final score 119VP

Although only getting a new selection of four cards at the end of turn two, you get the double orange privilege and can take the Fürst and the 5VP Adelsbrief in one sweep. And still afford the 1200 ducats Dom in turn four wow
From then on, it's just three turns of clear sailing - even if one of the other players would have woken up by then, they could not have done anything to stop you.

Quote:
and that seems to be the case in a lot of games I've played

Is there any alternative tactic?

Were you always plaing against newbies? And did this also happen in games against more experienced players?`

From what I can see after several plays, Augsburg is a very intricate and well-balanced game, and there are definitely lots of ways the game can go. I'm not sure there are any real strategies, though, since a well-played game seems to be so fluid that clinging o a fixed battleplan will make you lose. I am pretty sure that I'll never see a winning score of 100+ VP, unless I'm playing against very, very small children

Cheerio,
Maik
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.