Popular Tags: [View All]
John Gordon
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A group of us managed to meet last friday to try out Antike. We are all wargamers but game together only occasionally, none of us had played Antike before. I had looked at the game enough to be able to explain the rules with confidence.
I (John G) drew Greece, Jim - Arabia, Ian - Egypt, Chris - Persia and John R - Phoenicia. We had hoped for another player which unfortunately did not eventuate. This meant basically that we each had a corner of the board to ourselves except for John R, stuck in the middle with active borders on all sides.
Chris (Persia) and I (Greece) started building armies for expansion immediately, the others adopted a more passive "temple" strategy. Things ticked along perhaps a little slowly as first although the game developed tension as the available space ran out.
By the midgame there still had been no wars, I had built two temples on Gold cities and was buying technology as quickly as I could. I moved out into the lead in the personalities collected. This unfortunately drew undue attention to myself and the attacks began inorder to retard my lead. Phoenicia (John R) launched an attack on my territory in Asia minor, a slow moving attack due to lack of wheel technology. And Persia (Chris - who knew about wheels) were allowed to pass peacefully through Phoenician territory in order to attack me. Egypt meanwhile started building a huge fleet on the other side of the mediterranean.
There was a short war between Persia and Arabia - nothing notable. Phoenicia was engaged in an expensive war with Greece although neutrality was maintained on all her other borders.
Greece was being overrun but rather than build armies I built a third temple (for a card) and then purchased another advance (navigation) for a card. Only one to go with the enemy practically at the gates of Athens and no apparent path to victory. But by spending 10 gold to copy two technology advances gave me all of them and hence a "bonus card". He he! Victory!
I think we will be playing again soon, with all six of us and with no quarter given.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
    Conserve energy:     Play Board Games!
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.
badge
Shake your business up and pour it. I don't have all day.
mb
A sneaky finish! Way to pull out the win, even if Athens couldn't have fallen (assuming it was your last city). Nice report!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.