Popular Tags: oop [+] [View All]
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who tries desperately not to buy too many games too often I am often besieged with a feeling of creeping paranoia that game X which has been on my wanted list for the last 3 years is about to go out of print.

While I'm not suggesting that BGG admins should obsessively track game companies to find out when games are about to go OOP it did strike me that it could still be a useful bit of functionality. If an admin, or other responsible person, spots a thread in which someone's discovered and verified that particular game(s) are going OOP they could press a button to automatically geekmail all the people who've got that game ticked as "wanted" that they really better buy it now.

Or something like that. Is there anyone else who'd find this handy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Synge
United Kingdom
NEWTON ABBOT
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Go get 'em, Floyd.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, but unworkable. Remember that most games are printed in a limited run in the first place (and so they are effectively "OOP" straight away). What is really important is whether any shops and stores (or the distributors, I suppose) still have them in stock. For example, Canal Mania (Ragnar) is OOP, but there was a copy on the shelf this morning in my FLGS. Rio Grande Games' games seem to go OOP and in again pretty regularly - the best place to pick up this info would be on their own site. For anyone to collect this data in a systematic manner, across even the most prolific couple of dozen publishers, would be nigh on impossible and would not result in an approach that could be described as reliable. There have been one or two GeekLists down the ages that have attempted to do something like this, but I would be surprised if they are kept up to date. Bottom line is that you probably need to do the research yourself in respect of the specific games you are chasing. If I am being unduly pessimistic, I am sure someone will correct me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best thing:

Try it first, if possible. Several times, if you can. If you still like it, want it, have friends that will play it, and can afford it--get it now! It may be gone before you know it.

Otherwise, let it go without a second thought and keep your eyes peeled for a deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.