Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The title should say it all.

If I wanted to get this game, but I wanted both sides of the gameboard (as well as all the cards and other game parts, obviously) to be in English, and wanted to have the older bits swiped from Carcassonne and Settlers of Catan, which version would I need to get?

Or isn't there one like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bullions
England
Hayes
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how true this is, but I heard that Rio Grande are to bring this out with english board, cards etc. Maybe someone else can confirm this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Which version = both sides English + older Carc./Catan b
NateStraight wrote:
The title should say it all.

If I wanted to get this game, but I wanted both sides of the gameboard (as well as all the cards and other game parts, obviously) to be in English, and wanted to have the older bits swiped from Carcassonne and Settlers of Catan, which version would I need to get?

Or isn't there one like that?

There isn't--to get that version, you'd need to buy both; using the board from the RGG version and the bits from the Eggert-Spiele version.
The German isn't an issue, really. The "German" version has an English rulebook, and even the German side of the board is 100% comprehensible. All the place-names are in Latin anyway, and a bright fellow like you ought to be able to grasp that "Marmor," in white followed by a marble icon, is German for Marble.
(I think Funagain still has the "German" version on sale for cheap)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bullions
England
Hayes
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something I forgot to mention:- Look in the 'files' section of the 'Antike' entry on BGG. There you will find downloadable rondels in various languages, including english, which you can print out and paste onto your board (or just blu-tack it on).
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=15446

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Burbach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious as to why you want the original bits. I have the original game and I thought the new bits look much better. Not a biggie, the game plays fine either way. Just wondering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Frank Burbach wrote:
I'm curious as to why you want the original bits. I have the original game and I thought the new bits look much better. Not a biggie, the game plays fine either way. Just wondering.

The same reason you prefer the new bits... I think they look much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FullContactGEEK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get the meeples from several places and ships from Mayfair on their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
lsamadi wrote:
You can get the meeples from several places and ships from Mayfair on their own.

Well, yes... I could also swipe them from my copies of Carcassonne and Seafarers.

I'd prefer, however, to get the bits that I want with the game itself rather than paying outright for them or swiping from my other games.

Are there two decks of cards with the German version, one in German and one in English? If so, do you use either one you like or does it depend on what side of the board you're using?

I've been getting addicted to full-page label-stock lately, so it wouldn't be that big of a deal, I suppose, to print a rondel (and scan the english side of the board for the tech-tree chart thing, or is it not the same on both sides?) for the German side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the new bits aren't so visually attractive.
I displike the tall thin meeples and the sails of the sips. The temples also seem to high and thin. The Carc/Catan hybrid just seems more appealing to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:

Are there two decks of cards with the German version, one in German and one in English? If so, do you use either one you like or does it depend on what side of the board you're using?

The ancient personalities decks are in German (Hint: Platon means Plato), the Mediterranean (German board) peoples deck is in German (Hint: Kathager means Carthage), and the Middle East (English board) peoples deck is in English.
Really, if you prefer the bits of the German edition, get it. It's heavily discounted and you spend more time looking at the bits than the cards.
For what it's worth, I vastly prefer the old bits as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It's not so much that I mind the German, y'all, as it is that I prefer (like most people, I would imagine) to have things in my native language. I mean, hell, my two brothers who would probably be my most common opponents for a game like this are both taking university German classes right now, and our entire family has German heritage... it's just that we speak English and live in America, so it'd be nice if there'd be an easy translation fix (like the one for the rondel).

Thanks, though... I think I'll get the older version if / when I pick this one up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Strauss
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I´m trying to get 300 years old, so now I´m a teenager
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
as it is that I prefer (like most people, I would imagine) to have things in my native language.

devilSame for me, so please make BGG in german
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:
For me the new bits aren't so visually attractive.
I displike the tall thin meeples and the sails of the sips. The temples also seem to high and thin. The Carc/Catan hybrid just seems more appealing to me.

The rondel and progress chart haven't changed, but are now in English:

The meeples no longer look like they have escaped from Carcassonne or Seafarers of Catan:

I suspect that the cards haven't really changed (aside from language):

The coins and resource units also seem to be the unchanged in the second edition:

All images above are of the second edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.