John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to post this under the ratings comments with a "?" for the ratings category, but it didn't appear there, so I decided to cut and paste it here:

After five plays (mostly with Basic and once with Advanced) I can't honestly decide how to rate this game. Wherever that winds up it gets a one point deduction for the fiddly components and also what appear to be some poor design choice that I think should have been cleaned up with proper play-testing. For example, there's really no need to be moving all those little beads back and forth, just have separate tracks for everything. Also the lines of demarcation for when you get unhappy people, food consumption and corruption are not clearly delineated and actually differ depending on whether the section of the mat is completely empty or just not full on the next section over (I think you do it one way for happiness and another for food consumption but the small player mats aren't real helpful in reminding you which is which). So another point deduction (like watching figure skating in the Olympics) and thus it looks like a max rating of 8 ASSUMING EVERYTHING ELSE ABOUT THE GAME IS PERFECT. Right now, I can't say one way or the other -- I want to like this game very much, but the fiddly elements unfortunately get in the way and play length (particularly with four players) looks like it will be an issue that will mean few repeat plays. Not as bad as 7 Ages, which I have yet to try with humans, but certainly not the "Civ lite" game everyone had hoped for. Actually, for that honor, maybe the Sid Meier card game (released as part of the Civ IV chronicles) may be a better bet. My guess is, as happened with 7 Ages, you will see the initial ratings averages drop from the 8s to the 7s and possibly even to the 6s once people start playing the game more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier REIX
France
Grenoble
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well we'll see.

I have only 1 "advanced" play behind me but it took exactly 3 hours for 3 players which is _very_ satisfying.

Since we have played, the 3 of us are just waiting to play the full game as soon as possible, which should be next week. If this can be achived in 4h hours (even 4h30) then we really have a winner in my book as there is plenty of things happening.

OK there are a few "manipulation", but I found the design very clean on many aspects. Well time will tell, but for now I think we have a real winner. Of course, different play are necessary to sse if there is no dominant strategy in the, but I am confident. There not so much different cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Olivier, I have only one Advanced game play. Ours was with four players and ran a little over 4 hours.

The fiddliness wasn't too much of a factor for us. It's there (having to adjust the levels at the end of each turn is a bit of a pain), but not enough to detract from the game experience too much.

You must be a pretty harsh rater, John, if you're taking off 2 points for those issues! Even if they bothered me more, I'd be thinking of a .5 point reduction for both of them combined.

Right now, I'm entranced with the game. I think 3 players is the likely sweet spot, as that should dramatically reduce downtime. After my one play, I rate it a 9, which represents a 1 point deduction for long playing time, some downtime, and a little fiddliness. Because if through some miracle, this game could be played in two hours, it would be a 10 for sure! I can't wait to play it again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ludek michera
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have many full games behind me and AFAIK some peoples has grumbled about the time.. They wanted to lower it.. But much more people were against it.. It's CIV.. They wanted to feel their nation.. To build it from scratch.. Be first in space, invent internet etc.
After some games U can play it for 2-4 hours in four players.. And thats just great for game like this.. If it takes 1-2 hours, there will be no pleasure..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent Civ games take some time and this is an excellent Civ game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not intending any disrespect here, but I humbly submit that anyone putting a civilization game down for not coming in under 2 or 3 hours is damning a steak dinner for not being a McDonald's Happy Meal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.