2 Posts

PerplexCity: The Boardgame» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Not as good as the ARG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Heather K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Perplex City is effectively a trading card game in the guise of an ARG (alternative reality game), with the enticement of a treaure hunt for £100,000.
The cards themselves each have intriguing, involved puzzles to solve which I thoroughly enjoy (better than sudoku any day!).

I was very excited by the mention that they were to produce a board game, as then I would be able to enjoy solving puzzles in a group.

The game itself is styled after Trivial Pursuit, in that you have to collect a stone of each colour by landing on the appropriate square and answering a question of that colour.

However, all the puzzles are very easy, answered well within the 30 second timer (generally within 10seconds). The game includes four card holders, into which we divided the cards equally so that each game we could use a different set. Each game we played, we got through, and started recycling the cards in the set, invariably remembering the answers from before.
Given that the original Perplex City trading cards often take me hours to solve, I felt very let down by the quality of the puzzles.

A definate disappointment for me, though ok to play if it's a rainy day and you don't feel like stretching your brain muscles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fox
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooooooh, got to pick you up on your comment that Perplex City is a trading card game dressed up as an ARG. Mind Candy - the company behind the whole shindig - have stated many times that you don't need to buy the cards to play the game. Sure, you can collect the cards, solve the puzzles and climb the leaderboard if you so wish, but you don't have to. There's plenty of websites and fora out there that can give you the information, and the cards are actually only a part of the game... I should know, I'm one of the designers! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.