Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll have to bear with me on details. I write this from my extremely inadequate memory--and I am so not writing game results down.

After finishing Overlord Memoir '44 Omaha Beach in a record 35 minutes (Allies barely got onto the beach) we decided to try a Battlelore scenario with new players and most of the bells and whistles.

And it took just under three hours with setup, rules explanation, rules scanning, and teammate consultation. I do expect that this game is going to drift into the 60-90 minute range. Figure that it is going to take twice as long as Memoir. And totally worth it.

I believe that this is Scenario #10--which is lacking much in the way of historical detail, and has a generic name like Free Company assault. But that's boring.

The interesting part is that one side has the spider, two horsies, two archers, and a nasty-looking mass of dwarves on the left flank. The other side has a ton of light units, 4 or so bowmen, 5 cavalry, and a mass of goblins facing the dwarves. Terrain is densely covered with hills and forests.

Dwarves are bold, meaning they always ignore a flag and get to battle back in a melee attack. Always. Dwarves rock. Goblins aren't actually that bad, and their tendency to move fast and run away makes them a bit like the French Resistance from Memoir. Except they have light cavalry units which are riding the Geico mascot.

With all of those nice, shiny dwarves--we of course started out with no cards for our left flank. In fact, we got ONE fricking left flank card the entire game. (And a counterattack, which helped immensely.)

So it went like this:

Spider and cavalry charge on the right flank and scare the crap out of the opponent. The Spider doesn't to a lot of damage, but he does weaken a couple of units, and poison one other. His friends on the flank actually end up doing more damage, and take out an infantry unit.

Our enemy spent quite a few attacks taking out the spider. Enough for us to run through our right flank cards. So we advanced in the middle. They had a lot more units, and if they had really good cards and mounted charge cards, we would be crushed.

We were crushed. By the end, we actually had nothing at all in the middle.

Our dwarves---still standing there looking glinty. We did manage to clean up some of the units on the right...but they were leading 5 to 4. (Target is 6 flags.)

Then the goblins and dwarves started to attack each other. That went badly for the goblins, because...dwarves rock. That whole battle back thing is just deadly. Dwarves won 6 to 5--a nice close battle.

The War Council and Lore cards were some of the least interesting cards in the deck. (A smaller deck is created based on the chosen characters.) The one thing I did notice is that the Priest/Cleric cards were extremely uninteresting. The other three Lore dudes had interesting cards that got quite a bit of use. The Priests' healing cards seem only useful if you have a really high level priest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerrit Kroon
Netherlands
Houten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report. Sounds like it was a good battle!

Question about the cards:

Quote:
The War Council and Lore cards were some of the least interesting cards in the deck. (A smaller deck is created based on the chosen characters.) The one thing I did notice is that the Priest/Cleric cards were extremely uninteresting. The other three Lore dudes had interesting cards that got quite a bit of use. The Priests' healing cards seem only useful if you have a really high level priest.

Do you mean the cards in general or just the selection in the game you played? Saw cleric: Hills Rumble card, http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/161679 in the image gallery and that one looked pretty powerful. What your impression on the lore factor in the game?

Really wonder how powerful lore will be once you get to know the game. Guess many of the powerful cards will see dispel attempts.
Also seeing how I normally roll the dice, I’ll have plenty of lore to spend Think that’s a great thing, bad rolls get you lore here, evening out the luck factor somewhat it seems.

If your pained memory releases more session info, or manages to grab hold of some new, I would enjoy it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.