Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my C&C:Ax1 today.

Some comments.

The cover art is better than that on the base game. Rodger has done a great job here.

5 unique sheets of stickers this time. New art for all the unit types.

Rule book has new examples of play for Close Combat, the Elephant rules have been re-written, as have the rules for leader escape (with new examples), and new versions of the rules for Ramparts and Fortified Camps. The Rally card has some changes, and these are explained. All 21 scenarios are in the book.

New unit type is Camels. Horses don't like them any more than they like elepahnts. Other that that, they are like medium cavalry with only 2 dice when defending, 3 when attacking.

The reference cards have become reference folders, with the expanded close combat dice diagram that was in the rules before. A card inventory is also on the reference.

There are now "Special Unit" stickers to mark units that have a special rule in a scenario. These are placed on the small black blocks that the victory banners use. Besides the Sacred Band already used, Alexander's Companion Cavalry is a special unit in scenarios. Alexander himself is a seperate leader block, and there are special rules in scenarios where he is present.

Scenarios now state which of the 4 armies are to be used for each side.

The dice are heavier, and the indentations are larger than the stickers this time.

The box is still the extra thick box used for the base game. With enough expansions, you could almost build a game room with the things.

Scenarios cover Greeks vs. Persians, other Greeks and Rome, Carthaginians vs. Syracuse, Alexander vs. Indians (and Persians, of course), Successors vs. each other, Seleucids vs. Egypt and Rome, Phyrrus vs. Rome.

More when I get the stickers on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the re-written rules (Elephants, etc.) to be back-fitted to the original game, or are they specific to scenarios in the Expansion?

You lucky lad! Must run outside now and see if the UPS man left something on the porch. I foresee sore thumbs by Sunday night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry Kendall wrote:
Are the re-written rules (Elephants, etc.) to be back-fitted to the original game, or are they specific to scenarios in the Expansion?

They are presented as clarifacations already included in the 2nd edition rules.

Quote:
You lucky lad! Must run outside now and see if the UPS man left something on the porch. I foresee sore thumbs by Sunday night.

Mine is a result of taking payment in games for an article in C3i. The P500 orders are to start shipping today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any new foot unit types? Are pikes taken into account, for example?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wha? Did this finally get sent out...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
Are there any new foot unit types? Are pikes taken into account, for example?

No. Greek heavies are shown with long pointy sticks. There are also special rules for Roman Tactical Flexibility against unsupported heavys in two scenarios.

Other special units not mentioned in my initial post are the Theban Sacred Band, Persian Immortals, and the Silver Shields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Newell
United States
Issaquah
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Allen,

How about some pics!?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Waits
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AllenDoum wrote:
5 unique sheets of stickers this time. New art for all the unit types.
More when I get the stickers on.

So, does it also come with more blocks, or do they intend for you to replace stickers on the blocks from the main game?

--Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swaits wrote:
So, does it also come with more blocks, or do they intend for you to replace stickers on the blocks from the main game?

--Steve

Another two armies of blocks. Blue for the Greeks, Tan for the East.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will DeMorris
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up. I can't wait to get my copy.

-Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooops! Forgot a new Unit Type: Light Bow Cavalry. Like Light Cavalry but with a range of 3.

Reference also has Light Chariots, and Light War Machines, but these are not available in the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We know RB has already mentioned putting light chariots into the Celts/Gauls hands for Exp 2.

Not sure who would get the light war machines--while I read that they have a bit shorter range (5 vs 6 for heavies), given card mechanics and the limited chances to shoot 6 hexes away, these might actually be more lethal weapons, if only because there are 2 more "order light troops" cards than "order heavies."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
We know RB has already mentioned putting light chariots into the Celts/Gauls hands for Exp 2.

Not sure who would get the light war machines--while I read that they have a bit shorter range (5 vs 6 for heavies), given card mechanics and the limited chances to shoot 6 hexes away, these might actually be more lethal weapons, if only because there are 2 more "order light troops" cards than "order heavies."

The War Machine stats are now on the reference. Both roll 2 dice for Hold and CC, and the ranges are Light 5 and Heavy 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Waits
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AllenDoum wrote:
Another two armies of blocks. Blue for the Greeks, Tan for the East.

Ahh, of course. Thanks.

--Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, Alan. You've had it for over a day. Where are some photos????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
Okay, Alan. You've had it for over a day. Where are some photos????

Allright, Allright already. Now go to GeekMod and get them approved.

OK. They are up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gisli Sigtryggsson
Canada
Amherst
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It is a _nice_ cover.
Thank you for the information and the pictures Allen.

Any first impressions of the scenarios?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My first game: BASKETmind, a 5-on-5 basketball match
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Allen!

Yes, a much better looking box. And the reference folder and flags look good too. I guess the eagle is the persian flag, and the star must be then the "special unit" marker (?)...

Come on, where is Alexander? And what kind of blue/tan are the blocks?
I can't wait!!!

Miguel
cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franchi wrote:
Thanks, Allen!

Yes, a much better looking box. And the reference folder and flags look good too. I guess the eagle is the persian flag, and the star must be then the "special unit" marker (?)...

Come on, where is Alexander? And what kind of blue/tan are the blocks?
I can't wait!!!

Miguel
cry

In a can. No wait, that's Prince Albert. The blue blocks are a sky blue, the tan close to "natur". GMT stated some time ago that muted colors would be used for the blocks, so as not to overpower the sticker graphics.

The star is the special unit marker.

I haven't had a chance to play any of the scenarios yet. Perhaps tommorrow or Saturday at GenConWest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.